Apple Watch Dethrones Rolex

Digital and Smart watches

Apple Watch Dethrones Rolex

Postby koimaster » January 30th 2016, 11:49am

As any beneficiary of today's Twitter beef culture will tell you, there's no such thing as bad press. This appears to especially true for Apple's mildly controversial smartwatch, which has just edged out Rolex (and Tag Heuer, Cartier, and Patek Phillippe) to become the most obsessed-over "luxury" watch brand, according to a luxury brand report by analytics company NetBase. It sounds a bit ridiculous to put the Apple Watch in the same category as tourbillons that frequently fetch over $1 million. Evidently luxury, in this context, is less about price tags and more about the fancy "vibe" conveyed by collaborations with high-end French fashion houses and retail stores run by a former Burberry CEO. It is the only smartwatch to make the cut.

The report measured social media mentions and consumer sentiment from more than 700 million posts between 2014 and 2015, reports Cult of Mac. It sought to mention the "passion" inspired by luxury brands using a Brand Passion Index that balanced intensity of feelings with overall sentiment expressed on the Internet. Surprisingly, though Apple's smartwatch was the most hotly discussed watch model, this does not come at any detriment to manufacturers of traditional (and eye-wateringly expensive) timepieces. The "passion intensity" surrounding watches in general has now risen to 77 percent, which is above the luxury brand category average of 69 percent and also above chocolate. Overall mentions of Rolex increased 48 percent in one year.

Sarah Carlsen, head of press at Cartier, agrees that the demand for watches has changed but not slackened. "The showy buyers of a bull market are long gone," she told NetBase. "We are now selling to men looking to make an intelligent purchase; looking to be part of an unspoken club of those who know, understand, and appreciate the complications of an haute horology timepiece."
Whether or not discussion translated to sales was not measured, but it seems to suggest that rumors about the death of the traditional wristwatch may be wildly exaggerated. Or that when it comes to tech versus traditional elegance, you can have your cake and eat it too. Particularly if LVMH has anything to do with it.

http://www.details.com/story/apple-watc ... l_facebook

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Apple Watch Dethrones Rolex

Postby foghorn » January 30th 2016, 11:56am

And it doesn't take a year to make an Apple watch
It has become a core product. Not to mention apeeling.
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby koimaster » January 30th 2016, 12:25pm

foghorn wrote:And it doesn't take a year to make an Apple watch

:chump: :bvbvbv:

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby TemerityB » January 30th 2016, 2:07pm

Meh. One's a wristwatch, the other is a mini computer with a digital clock in it.

I have NOTHING against the Apple Watch. It simply doesn't interest me, but I'm not going to throw stones at anyone who likes or enjoys it. I can certainly see why people would want one for one reason or another. My wife now has a FitBit, but wears an actual watch at the same time. No big - just like these reports that the Apple Watch is gonna "kill" the Swiss (or Japanese) watch industry. No big.
"​A very cool, and unique, mid size, automatic, multi-function, offering, from Lucien. Imaginative, intriguing, and affordable. Thanks Lee." - Verbatim
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby tiktok » January 30th 2016, 2:26pm

It's not surprising that people are burbling about Apple Watch on social media.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby eddiea » January 30th 2016, 2:47pm

I was gifted one for Christmas , proceeded to re-gifted for New Years....not for me.
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby iwasbanned » January 30th 2016, 5:00pm

Everyone should own 2 apple watches. They have a couple of my chips in there. The more watches they sell, the more chips we sell, the bigger my bonus. After everyone has 2 apple watches, one with a gold bracelet of course, no one will want Rolex, the cheaper they'll be, and the more I'll be able to buy.

So everyone buy 2 apple watches and one for your sweetheart.
iwasbanned
Master of Time

Postby koimaster » January 30th 2016, 11:22pm

foghorn wrote:And it doesn't take a year to make an Apple watch

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby biglove » January 31st 2016, 6:51am

A useless "fact."

I am going to venture to say that almost 100% of Aplle "watch" people utilize Twitter. The same can't be said about other luxury brands.

Is like deciding that Yugo is the most talked about auto maker by collecting stats from a Yugo forum.

Ubiquitous, yes. Luxury, no.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby foghorn » January 31st 2016, 12:37pm

biglove wrote:A useless "fact."

I am going to venture to say that almost 100% of Aplle "watch" people utilize Twitter. The same can't be said about other luxury brands.

Is like deciding that Yugo is the most talked about auto maker by collecting stats from a Yugo forum.

I'll bet that 100% of Apple watch users can spell "apple" though.
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby biglove » January 31st 2016, 5:53pm

foghorn wrote:
biglove wrote:A useless "fact."

Well, fuck!

I would like to blame iPhone autocorrect for this one. Why didn't it catch that? Stupid, tiny virtual keypad.

I'll bet that 100% of Apple watch users can spell "apple" though.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Return to Digital Watches