“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Is Parnis a replica maker?

Postby foghorn » December 8th 2017, 9:55am

Whad'ya mean? That looks nothing like a Rolex.

"Work!!????"-Maynard G. Krebs

Like that but cat-F. Sklodowska
foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby biglove » December 8th 2017, 6:51pm

Well, even though the “Marina Militaire” term is a trademark here, isn’t everywhere from what I have read?

Be another thing entirely of it said “Panerai.”
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » December 8th 2017, 8:14pm

biglove wrote:Well, even though the “Marina Militaire” term is a trademark here, isn’t everywhere from what I have read?

I know somebody that had one of those MMs and the edges on the freaking thing were so sharp you could cut cheese with 'em. Real junk.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » December 9th 2017, 7:12am

biglove wrote:Well, even though the “Marina Militaire” term is a trademark here, isn’t everywhere from what I have read?

The WUS Gestapo has once deleted pics of a Panerai homage, which had "Marina Militare" on the dial, and justified that with Marina Militare being a Panerai trademark.

Sadly, the Gestapo there has a foggy notion of common sense - Marina Militare is the name of the Italian Navy, so Panerai trademarking it is just as if Timefactors would have registered "Royal Navy" as their trademark. Or, for that matter, as if an American company, like RGM or Marathon, would have done the same thing with the US Navy.

That said, a Marina Militare inscription is somewhat generic.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby biglove » December 9th 2017, 7:38am

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:

The WUS Gestapo has once deleted pics of a Panerai homage, which had "Marina Militare" on the dial, and justified that with Marina Militare being a Panerai trademark.

Sadly, the Gestapo there has a foggy notion of common sense - Marina Militare is the name of the Italian Navy, so Panerai trademarking it is just as if Timefactors would have registered "Royal Navy" as their trademark. Or, for that matter, as if an American company, like RGM or Marathon, would have done the same thing with the US Navy.

Yeppers. Have never understood how they managed to trademark such a common term.

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » December 9th 2017, 10:22am

biglove wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:

Yeppers. Have never understood how they managed to trademark such a common term.

Probably the same way that kiddie fucker from International Watchman trademarked "NATO." Apparently a single-figure IQ does not disqualify one from working for the authorities in charge of trademark registration.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby Pubbie » December 9th 2017, 10:35am

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:Probably the same way that kiddie fucker from International Watchman trademarked "NATO." Apparently a single-figure IQ does not disqualify one from working for the authorities in charge of trademark registration.

Nicely observed!
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » December 9th 2017, 1:51pm

biglove wrote:

Trademarked in respect to use on a watch but unlikely to cause a problem if you used the term in a thesis on Italys naval exploits.
Like I can refer to the bobcat in the woods nearby but not paint it on the side of my tractor.

foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby tiktok » December 9th 2017, 1:58pm

Does the tractor have lume.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » December 9th 2017, 2:00pm

tiktok wrote:Does the tractor have lume.

No-bulb is out.

foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby tiktok » December 9th 2017, 2:18pm

Screw it then if you remember how.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby OTMF » December 9th 2017, 3:30pm

foghorn wrote:
tiktok wrote:Does the tractor have lume.

No-bulb is out.

Foggy has no Lume.
He is outstanding in his field!
OTMF
Senior Member & WIS

Postby AlbertaTime » December 9th 2017, 6:58pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
biglove wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:

Probably the same way that kiddie fucker from International Watchman trademarked "NATO." Apparently a single-figure IQ does not disqualify one from working for the authorities in charge of trademark registration.

Yeah, that's about how I see it, too. I'm not gonna get outta shape about "MM". I actually think Panerai has a legit case about the crown lever patent and guard shape, though, and I wish folks wouldn't copy that. I think Panerai earned that protection the old-fashioned way, by being first with the ideas, at least as far as I know.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby Mortuus » December 9th 2017, 8:56pm

Well, I, for one, am very pleased to see this discussion taking place here, as I have owned a "Marina Militare" GMT that I've always assumed was made by Parnis. Here are some pix:

As can be seen, it's an automatic, clearly marked with the MM moniker, and it was a good buy -- or so I thought at the time -- at $75, and free shipping + zero sales tax. And I liked it a lot (and still do, in the interest of full disclosure), largely for the same reasons I love the Panerai; way cool styling, awesome lines and the look of it on my wrist. However, having said that, I have been extremely reluctant to wear the watch here, at WL, for fear of being accused of wearing a fake. Yet, at the same time, I have the watch below:

I've both posted and worn this one many times over the six+ years I've been a Lord; like it's counterpart above it's neither a real nor a fake Panerai, but rather a "sanitized dial" homage to the brand & model, as made by a fellow who went by the name of Drudy, a while back. Soooo, at the risk of asking you to repeat yourselves, please tell me what you think about both pieces. Do you find the one offensive, or both? Is one more of an homage than the other, or are they both legit, as far as you're concerned? Should I or should not wear one or both of them? C'mon, Lords, this particular Dead Guy Needs to Know!!

Tin-Q Berry much, everyone!
Okay, so I was wrong... http://thewatchforum.net/forum/index.php ...but I was never so glad to be incorrect... ;)
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby biglove » December 10th 2017, 1:00am

Since “Marina Militaire” isn’t the name of the brand, regardless of the stupid trademark BS, I have no issue with it.

If it said “Panerai,” that would be a different issue.

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby artman » December 10th 2017, 2:37am

I dig both those watches Mort. I've often wondered about Parnis but never have seen them in the wild.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » December 10th 2017, 5:46am

Trademark=trademark. No matter how "stupid" one might think it is.
If they weren't trying ,at least, a small bit of deception then just leave it sterile like Morts other watch. Or write
"military diver" or something original.

foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby Falstaff » December 10th 2017, 9:05am

Is it a replica by definition? No, in that the original maker's name isn't present - however, in overall appearance the watch appears to be a fairly exact copy of the original and would be taken as the original by almost anyone with only marginal watch knowledge at first glance. So, the legitimacy of the hommage comes not from its mere manufacture but whether or not it is the wearer's intent to deceive - a question only the wearer can answer.
I'm your huckleberry.
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby Mortuus » December 10th 2017, 5:30pm

Excellent points, all! Thank you very much, gentlemen...
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to Asian and Far East Watches