“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Sea-Gull Ocean Star Automatic Dive Watch Review

Postby conjurer » September 18th 2017, 3:41pm

It doesn't totally suck donkey balls, but it's rather bland, and pretty expensive for what you're getting.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby biglove » September 18th 2017, 4:15pm

Have eyeballed them before on Amazon. Noting stands out and screams, "buy me, ya' fat fuck!"
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Mortuus » September 18th 2017, 4:17pm

Damn...that review had my rapt attention the whole way through, and I was impressed enough that I had quite the pup-tent in my old Levi's 501's, and I was even pleased with the quality of the bracelet, which has been a sticking point for a few Seagull watches, here and there. The dial is freakin' jummy, as a friend of mine from Uruguay might opine, and that gold star on the dial made me go from pup-tent to family-sized camp-tent (with built-in foyer) in record-breaking time...

...and then he mentioned the price, and my 'leetle friend' started deflating the tent before I could do anything to save it. $499 USD -- basically 500 bones for a Seagull. Hmmm...for a Seagull with an ETA 2824 clone. Hmmm... Okay, so I'd prolly pay a little more or a little less for basically the same thing from Hammy (the brand which always seems to be my 'baseline,' for some reason), ditto an equivalent Seiko with their awesome in-house ETA equivalent, and the rest of the watch world out there has an infinite number of equivalent divers, as well...

But, fuck, Mort; 500 BONES? For a Seagull? Well, yeah, why the fuck not? I mean, Ron and I have been singing the praises of Seagull's older movements and models, right? So shouldn't I be willing to take the plunge? And, if I don't what does that say about watash? (USN slang for "me," taken from the Japanese term, watashi-wa, the 'formal' "me.")

All of which means that, yep, Olde Morte is seriously thinking about actually laying out the 500 smack-aires for this baby instead of, say, this really cool Orient Star he's been giving serious thought to...

Okay, okay. So if any of you other fothermuckers check out the review, read this, and actually give a shit about my thoughts on picking this beast up, please let me know what you think, poste haste (that means "quickly," for those of you in Rio Lindo and Pascagoula)... :shock: :???: ;) 8-)
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mortuus » September 18th 2017, 4:23pm

conjurer wrote:It doesn't totally suck donkey balls, but it's rather bland, and pretty expensive for what you're getting.

Bland? Bland? Are you kidding me? It looks utterly elegant, you dirigible-assed Warshingtonian butt-pyrate!! Okay, then. That makes sense. So that's one 'no' vote. Thanks, John; always appreciate your insightful and intelligent and knowledgeable comments...
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mortuus » September 18th 2017, 4:28pm

biglove wrote:Have eyeballed them before on Amazon. Noting stands out and screams, "buy me, ya' fat fuck!"

Cool! I'll just go ahead and hand this torch right on over to you --GRUNT-- here you go, Travis... Okay, everyone; 'Loaf's goin' for it!! :mrgreen:
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby conjurer » September 18th 2017, 4:45pm

Mortuus wrote:
conjurer wrote:It doesn't totally suck donkey balls, but it's rather bland, and pretty expensive for what you're getting.

Bland? Bland? Are you kidding me? It looks utterly elegant, you dirigible-assed Warshingtonian butt-pyrate!! Okay, then. That makes sense. So that's one 'no' vote. Thanks, John; always appreciate your insightful and intelligent and knowledgeable comments...

Actually, I was wrong, as Mort quite correctly pointed out for me. It does totally suck donkey balls.

A) It's too fucking big

B) It's too fucking expensive

C) In six months, due to the high-polished outer links, it'll look like shit.

D) The dial is Wagnerianly ghey.

I'm sure more will come to me in time.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby biglove » September 18th 2017, 4:50pm

Mortuus wrote:
biglove wrote:Have eyeballed them before on Amazon. Noting stands out and screams, "buy me, ya' fat fuck!"

Cool! I'll just go ahead and hand this torch right on over to you --GRUNT-- here you go, Travis... Okay, everyone; 'Loaf's goin' for it!! :mrgreen:

I am all spent for watches at the moment. Had a Certina 125th Anniversary set arrive today as a surprise for the wife. Her first auto.

And I bought a safe.

Sitting on about an extra $1K but eyeballing a GS auto. Maybe next year.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Mortuus » September 18th 2017, 5:01pm

conjurer wrote:
Mortuus wrote:

Actually, I was wrong, as Mort quite correctly pointed out for me. It does totally suck donkey balls.

A) It's too fucking big

B) It's too fucking expensive

C) In six months, due to the high-polished outer links, it'll look like shit.

D) The dial is Wagnerianly ghey.

I'm sure more will come to me in time.

It could only be WAGNERIANLY ghey if it had a little helmet with horns for a crown guard, eWe Olde Pharte!...however, upon thoroughly reviewing the video for a second time, I'm convinced that you're correct on all of the other points, and I have elected to move on to the Orient Stare EyE was looking at...So that's two 'no' votes and one list of pissy excuses from the 'Loaf. OKAY, then; we're all caught up!!
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby svaglic » September 18th 2017, 6:52pm

A while back I was ready to jump, until I saw the size. I liked it, but it was too big.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » September 18th 2017, 6:59pm

I think it's pretty handsome, but I'd have to check out that bracelet real time. And yes, it's about 200 smackers too much.
"​A very cool, and unique, mid size, automatic, multi-function, offering, from Lucien. Imaginative, intriguing, and affordable. Thanks Lee." - Verbatim
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby 3Flushes » September 18th 2017, 8:07pm

I'm ambivalent about this one. It's a handsome well made diver with a rugged looking bracelet, nice touches, micro adjustment, safety clasp, but noting particularly sets it apart. And the 28-8 beats ETA clone looks nice but doesn't exactly make me wanna jump out of my chair to grab my wallet. The only real problem I have with it other than the price is the aluminum bezel insert- but I'm a loppa, always bangin' my watches into everything in their path, so I'd want something more durable, especially for 500 skins.

I suppose it comes down to whether or not you feel it would enhance your collection in some way, Mort. Nice enough 200M diver, but if I was considering it at the end of the day- :twisted: , I'd take a pass.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Hawk » September 18th 2017, 8:40pm

I was more or less ok with the price until I checked USA Seagull. The nigh-on to identical (and sold out) Dragon King was being sold for 259.00.

http://usseagull.com/EnProductShow.asp? ... =98&ID=141

Makes me wonder if the one in the OP would be similarly priced out of USSG if we prevailed upon Alberta Time to prevail upon USSG to sell the unlimited version of the Dragon King.

Or, more straightforward: perhaps LIW set pricing without research which is unlike them.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby AlbertaTime » September 18th 2017, 10:22pm

Hawk wrote:I was more or less ok with the price until I checked USA Seagull. The nigh-on to identical (and sold out) Dragon King was being sold for 259.00.

http://usseagull.com/EnProductShow.asp? ... =98&ID=141

Makes me wonder if the one in the OP would be similarly priced out of USSG if we prevailed upon Alberta Time to prevail upon USSG to sell the unlimited version of the Dragon King.

Or, more straightforward: perhaps LIW set pricing without research which is unlike them.

I think $500 is high. I can ask Kevin at USSea-Gull, but the Taobao price is about $500 as well. I'd wait for the WatchuSeek f72 diver (if it happens).

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f72/pollin ... 30499.html
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Return to Asian and Far East Watches