Why you should celebrate the Doxa Sub 300

Asian Made & Swiss Asian watches

Why you should celebrate the Doxa Sub 300

Postby koimaster » January 30th 2017, 5:18pm

Doxa is a relatively small – and in some circles relatively unknown – Swiss Swissesewatchmaker. But this year is a big one for Doxa because its iconic Sub 300 timepiece is celebrating its silver anniversary.

So while the SIHH brands take up most of the headlines during the start of the watchmaking calendar, we take a look at the watch that started a familiar industry trend: the bright orange dial.

That’s right, it was back in 1967 that this brand introduced the bold dial design. During the 1960s, watchmakers were starting to make real strides in producing more reliable and robust sports watches. And Doxa decided to get in on the action by targeting the emerging recreational scuba diving market.

http://www.europastar.com/news/10040892 ... b-300.html

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Why you should celebrate the Doxa Sub 300

Postby biglove » January 30th 2017, 9:55pm

It is sad. Their watch designs are appealing; but, their lies about their origins, the false claims of manufacturing and their high prices just keep me from buying one. That and their forum Nazi presence.

Almost as if they have something to hide. ;)
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby hcharles » January 31st 2017, 6:49am

The watch looks better with a white dial, and that's not saying very much about Doxa.
Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine. Abraham lincoln
hcharles
Watchlord WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » January 31st 2017, 7:03am

IMO, a nice watch in both dial versions. The dial inscriptions like in the 1960s, the domed hesalite... I like the watches they used to make- from the PWs to the original SUB, and the Synchron-era models (some of which featured 36 000 A/h versions of ETA ebauches). It's a shame, that they have turned into what they are now.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby eddiea » January 31st 2017, 12:07pm

DOXA invented the color Orange, is a fact....
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » January 31st 2017, 12:58pm

Yeah, let's "celebrate" the Doxa Sub 300. Let's see, what would we need to do that: A cake with plankton frosting, perhaps?
"​A very cool, and unique, mid size, automatic, multi-function, offering, from Lucien. Imaginative, intriguing, and affordable. Thanks Lee." - Verbatim
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby eddiea » January 31st 2017, 4:01pm

TemerityB wrote:Yeah, let's "celebrate" the Doxa Sub 300. Let's see, what would we need to do that: A cake with plankton frosting, perhaps?

Here is my 1200T Pro, a proper nod to the original 300 and a watch with a lineage dating back to Dirk Pitt , a true gem...looking for a Caribbean currently.....

eddiea

Postby boscoe » February 1st 2017, 9:40am

I celebrate nothing about Doxa or the Laloesque owners. I shit on the brand - and Brad's wayward cousin Dirk Pitt!
boscoe
ASSHAT

Postby Racer-X » February 1st 2017, 2:32pm

Guy Fieri from Diners, Drive-ins and Dives wears one and he has really good taste in yellow vehicles :D

Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby eddiea » February 1st 2017, 5:48pm

boscoe wrote:I celebrate nothing about Doxa or the Laloesque owners. I shit on the brand - and Brad's wayward cousin Dirk Pitt!

What's your current ride Dan?
eddiea

Postby Pete26 » September 6th 2017, 2:17pm

A bit late in replying but I was talking to a friend last week who was trying to source a local watchmaker who could fix Doxa. His nephew's watch would not wind just after warranty ended and my friends had a crown issue. His nephew's watch is an ETA movement and his is Soprod based.

These are the first "real" people who I know own a Doxa, and based on their experience I would stay away.
Pete26

Postby bedlam » September 6th 2017, 7:50pm

Just make the point that Doxa did all sorts of things in the 60's. None of that has anything to do with Doxa branded watches these days.

An investment company called Synchron bought a bunch of old defunct brand names (Doxa, ISOfrane, Jenny, Aquadive) and released products under those brands which have nothing to do with the originals. It's all trading on stolen glory.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » September 6th 2017, 7:55pm

bedlam wrote:Just make the point that Doxa did all sorts of things in the 60's. None of that has anything to do with Doxa branded watches these days.

An investment company called Synchron bought a bunch of old defunct brand names (Doxa, ISOfrane, Jenny, Aquadive) and released products under those brands which have nothing to do with the originals. It's all trading on stolen glory.

Succinctly put.
"​A very cool, and unique, mid size, automatic, multi-function, offering, from Lucien. Imaginative, intriguing, and affordable. Thanks Lee." - Verbatim
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Return to Asian and Far East Watches