There goes AlbertaTime being all modest again

Asian Made & Swiss Asian watches

There goes AlbertaTime being all modest again

Postby fenny » January 23rd 2017, 8:17pm

Cool article Ron!

The unlikely Chinese-Canadian bromance based on watches
The Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology stems from a friendship

In Peace Country, far to Canada’s west, aspen woodlands divide fields of rapeseed and grassy acres of grazing cattle dotted with hay bales. Peace River, a town of 7,000, stands where the Peace and Smoky rivers meet. During the long northern winters, the river valley traps low-hanging clouds that veil the pick-up trucks traveling the muddy highway.

High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our T&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights.
https://www.ft.com/content/f565c570-b7b ... acd97f622d

Six years ago, Peace River resident Ron Good decided he needed a new watch. There was nothing wrong with the garden-variety Timex he wore — it was serviceable and kept good time. “But it bored me,” Mr Good says. He wanted something unique, and spent hours researching watches on the internet (obsessive compulsive disorder “can be a skill set”, he says), when he came across an online forum about Chinese mechanical watches.

He was aware of the reputation Chinese goods have for being poorly produced, but the vintage watches he encountered in forums apparently still functioned 50 years after they had been made. “And some were really quite charming,” he says. They were also cheap: the average vintage Chinese watch cost around $20, whereas he could spend $5,000 or $10,000 on a Rolex. “If I did that, I would be one of a million people with a Rolex,” he says. But for the same amount of money, he could develop a substantial collection of vintage Chinese watches — “and that had not been done in the western world”. (A Hong Kong-based collector supports this claim.)

Article continues here...
https://www.ft.com/content/f565c570-b7b ... acd97f622d
fenny
Senior Member & WIS

Re: There goes AlbertaTime being all modest again

Postby TemerityB » January 23rd 2017, 8:32pm

Alberta is just on a different plane than most of us. It's amazing what he has absorbed, and he's really good at expressing it all to others.

Quite the remarkable gent.
"​A very cool, and unique, mid size, automatic, multi-function, offering, from Lucien. Imaginative, intriguing, and affordable. Thanks Lee." - Verbatim
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Mark1 » January 23rd 2017, 8:33pm

Had a thread about that earlier. Never the less, a good opportunity for those who have not yet seen the older thread. I tend to look at the portal and miss some threads from time to time when they drop off the first page.

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=36313
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby tiktok » January 23rd 2017, 8:38pm

AT's collection is insane, I'm thinking of opening the "Only One Rolex" museum but rent is high around here.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby fenny » January 23rd 2017, 9:35pm

Mark1 wrote:Had a thread about that earlier. Never the less, a good opportunity for those who have not yet seen the older thread. I tend to look at the portal and miss some threads from time to time when they drop off the first page.

http://watchlords.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=36313

I didn't do a proper search sorry about that. I got a little excited when I saw it on another site!
fenny
Senior Member & WIS

Postby AlbertaTime » January 23rd 2017, 10:01pm

fenny wrote:Cool article Ron!

Thanks, fenny!! But not so modest. It was me who brought the earlier thread :-)

Alain can maybe merge these...but I appreciate your kindness and your very thoughtful words.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Return to Asian and Far East Watches