Tutima Tempostopp Flyback Chronograph: Homage To Glashütte

From Sothis to Blancier, all things German

Tutima Tempostopp Flyback Chronograph: Homage To Glashütte

Postby Racer-X » April 24th 2017, 11:16am

by Elizabeth Doerr "The Tutima Tempostopp was one of my biggest Baselworld surprises, and, as I wrote in Give Me Five! 5 Fantastic Manufacture Chronographs From Baselworld 2017, had I not been in polite company I might have shed a few tears of joy upon seeing it.

To understand this watch and what it means (and why I had such an emotional reaction) it might help if you understand some Glashütte history. So let’s start there."

Aticle at Quill & Pad
Last edited by Racer-X on August 9th 2017, 5:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Tutima Tempostopp Flyback Chronograph: Homage To Glashüt

Postby Falstaff » April 24th 2017, 2:41pm

Attractive in a 50s - 60s Chronographe Suisse sort of way.
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby eddiea » April 24th 2017, 3:54pm

I like it ....
“I want to get to Key West and away from it all"…Papa.
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby AJC » April 24th 2017, 4:43pm

Love it!!
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » April 24th 2017, 5:09pm

I like how the subdials eat the numericals, and I like the bespokedness and colourways, too.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » April 24th 2017, 7:37pm

The dial's really nice, the case would be nice if not for the bloody crown guards.

But the movement is truly admirable. One thing that I could be picky about, is that they have apparently reduced the size of the balance wheel (compared to the original movement from the 1940s), but the finishing is truly excellent. What I really don't get, is why the market for contemporary manual wind chronographs (excluding PP and VC, their chronos are in the "Russian Oligarch" price range) is dominated by Omega and Sea-Gull (and their clone of the good old Venus ebauche). With a movement like that "reincarnated" Urofa, Tutima could easily steal some clients off of the "big guys"- if only they'd put that chrono movement into mass production, even with a more "industrial" finishing to it...

@Falstaff: The CS chronos were most popular in the 1940s and 1950s. I'm not quite sure, if that joint venture of a few brands (dunno which ones, though- the information about that is harder to find than the Ark of the Covenant) actually made it into the 1960s- they could well have, as they were selling a lot of watches- the story has it, that they were especially popular with American tourists, who wanted to get a gold chrono (or a gold watch in general) as a souvenir from Europe. And there might have been something to it, since a lot of listings for CS watches is from the US. Sadly, there's also a lot of redialed ones coming from South America (where the local fakers turn them into Baume & Mercier).

Regarding Chronographe Suisse (CS) as such, should anyone wonder what they were: they were one of the most affordable ways to get a gold chrono, and nowadays, they are one of the fairly affordable ways to get into vintage chronographs. The case of that Tutima appears somehow more solid- especially when I think of CS cases, which while nice on the outside, were a bit of a technical disaster. Wafer-thin, with hollow lugs (which had a tendency to bend easily), all of that held by a massive steel ring around the movement, so that the case doesn't deform- and, of course, the case back, reinforced by an inner steel or brass cover, which protected it from more noticeable dents. The extremely low amount of gold used for the case always makes me wonder, why on Earth did people have a lot of them melted down for the gold- in a CS, there is as little of it as possible. Inside usually was a Landeron, sometimes a Venus- with Venus being the more collectible. Case construction aside, they were decent watches with rugged and reliable movements, and with really nicely finished dials.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Return to German Watches