Commission looking into spare parts supply

All things Swiss

Commission looking into spare parts supply

Postby koimaster » August 14th 2017, 10:02am

INDUSTRY NEWS : Swiss Competition Commission looking into spare parts supply

By horologium on August 14, 2017 • ( 0 )

You may recall news last year about the Swatch Group SA and WEKO’s review of whether there’s room to manoeuvre (increase supply) within the 2013 agreement to phase out movement supply by their subsidiary ETA SA.

Reuters have reported that Swiss Competition Commission WEKO may launch an investigation into the vexed issue of spare parts supply within the watch industry, the result of complaints from independent repair centres and customers alike.

Any such investigation would not be without effect, increasing pressure on not just the Swatch Group SA but on other major industry players to make watch parts available to watch repairers that are not officially accredited by them.

The Reuters article reports WEKO Deputy Director Patrik Ducrey as saying “We received complaints from independent watch repairers who no longer had access to parts, but also from customers who were unhappy they could not get their watch repaired wherever they wanted”, “We are doing preliminary checks at the moment to see if there are indications that watchmakers unlawfully limit the access to parts for independent watch repairers. By this autumn, we should be able to decide whether to open an investigation”.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Commission looking into spare parts supply

Postby TemerityB » August 14th 2017, 6:38pm

I hope they do take action. I love Swatch products, but the company logo should be a dildo.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby PiningforElgin » August 14th 2017, 6:44pm

It's quite possible if Swatch didn't form this kind of cartel monopoly we would be looking at less deception from Invicter and micros. The market has been squeezed to the point where deception and cost cutting are only ways to make money
PiningforElgin

Postby foghorn » August 14th 2017, 6:51pm

PiningforElgin wrote:It's quite possible if Swatch didn't form this kind of cartel monopoly we would be looking at less deception from Invicter and micros. The market has been squeezed to the point where deception and cost cutting are only ways to make money

If anyone uses deception to make money they should, and sometimes do, go to jail.
Cost cutting is one thing but deception is a "Go fuck yourself" move.
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby PiningforElgin » August 14th 2017, 7:08pm

foghorn wrote:
PiningforElgin wrote:It's quite possible if Swatch didn't form this kind of cartel monopoly we would be looking at less deception from Invicter and micros. The market has been squeezed to the point where deception and cost cutting are only ways to make money

If anyone uses deception to make money they should, and sometimes do, go to jail.
Cost cutting is one thing but deception is a "Go fuck yourself" move.

I'm talking about "what-ifs". Had Swatch behaved differently, we'd see a very different landscape for the hobby. Deceivers would not have a market since they'd encounter many more honest competitors who aren't monopolistic dicks
PiningforElgin

Postby biglove » August 14th 2017, 7:09pm

Horse shit! The likes of Invicta and some micros as well as some larger brands deceive to cut costs and maximize profits.

Doesn't have a damned thing to do with Swatch group's OEM parts restrictions.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby PiningforElgin » August 14th 2017, 7:19pm

biglove wrote:

Horse shit! The likes of Invicta and some micros as well as some larger brands deceive to cut costs and maximize profits.

Doesn't have a damned thing to do with Swatch group's OEM parts restrictions.

I followed up with an explanation above. Talking about what ifs. In a competitive market without such cartels like Swatch, deceivers like Lalo would have no business and he would likely be in a Panamanian trailer now
PiningforElgin

Postby PiningforElgin » August 14th 2017, 7:23pm

A healthy free market weeds out bad apples. Is this hard to understand?
PiningforElgin

Postby bedlam » August 14th 2017, 10:26pm

I think Swatch's dick move will eventually lead to us having more movement and component options. Well, I hope it does.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby PiningforElgin » August 15th 2017, 8:44am

bedlam wrote:I think Swatch's dick move will eventually lead to us having more movement and component options. Well, I hope it does.

I hope so too.
PiningforElgin

Postby TemerityB » August 15th 2017, 12:28pm

bedlam wrote:I think Swatch's dick move will eventually lead to us having more movement and component options. Well, I hope it does.

I think it's already started. Already, there are Sellita SW200s and Miyota 9000 series movements everywhere - and that's fine by me.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby kevco » August 17th 2017, 6:52am

TemerityB wrote:

I think it's already started. Already, there are Sellita SW200s and Miyota 9000 series movements everywhere - and that's fine by me.

Two great comments!
kevco
Master of Time

Return to Swiss Watches