Has the crisis arrived for real?

All things Swiss

Has the crisis arrived for real?

Postby koimaster » July 25th 2017, 10:47am

Been to Zürich the other day and while it was a family trip, I could not stop making it watch related, too (which one of us can? wink).

And there have been some quite interesting observations I made.

Let's start with the outright shocking. One of the truly storied Zürich watch retailers (of many a double signage model) looked shockingly like a discount / outlet store - all across the shop windows you had massive sale and % signage. And the watches - mostly from reputed manufactures we all discuss here frequently - were arranged into clusters of -20 - -40% then -30 - -60%... Current models, too. And many high complications.

A bit taken aback the other observations were not pointing in a different direction, either. Without mentioning any brands, I got offered double digit discounts in brand boutiques on selected pieces, and was pretty much without exception handled by the boutique director - in spite of entering in a decidedly low key attire (polo, slacks & backpack).

And I have been to all boutiques for the first time - so no 'good customer bonus'.

While the really great customer treatment is highly welcome (not sure this has gotten better - got no comparison values), I am wondering if these are some harbingers of a real crisis in the industry.

Have any of you made similar observations lately?

http://www.watchprosite.com/horological ... 8837146/0/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Has the crisis arrived for real?

Postby Hawk » July 25th 2017, 10:53am

I wish that would happen to Grand Seiko - their prices are going in the wrong-ass direction.

Pretty soon I'll be looking back wistfully to the days of 5K snowflakes.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby biglove » July 25th 2017, 5:19pm

Might happen in bigger cities;but, I have serious doubts of seeing it everywhere.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby artman » July 25th 2017, 6:13pm

Just got back from Japan and I didn't see any bargains over there. Usually discount stores like Don Quijote would have sales on quite a few watches, but nothing this time. I could get better prices for most watches including Seiko locally than abroad.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby 3Flushes » July 25th 2017, 6:52pm

I browsed around my local Tourneau store the other day to fondle a Franck Muller Curvex Perpetual I saw in the the window. My moaning and drooling apparently inspired the salesman to offer me a 10% discount. Double digits alright, however even pre-owned, it was still about an additional 75''% double digits more than affordable for me. The Omega boutique was lots of fun, saw all the new stuff and some pre-owned classics- no discounts in there, and no sense of humor, either. Royal Maui will let me molest all of the good stuff, and the staff is really knowledgeable. For some reason I attract a lot of attention from security in there, armed security, so I'm real sure to keep my hands outta my pockets.

Most of the jewelry stores will offer 10-15% off on all but a few brands like Rolex, Cartier, and so forth, however, none of the boutiques offer squat. Omega, Panny, Longines, and TAG are the brands with stores in SD; strictly business as usual down here in those joints.

It sure is good clean fun to spend a few hours in a real store in a real building once in awhile and getting to see everything up close and personal on display, not on a display, and actually getting to kick a few tires while shooting the shit with the staff without typing. Nothing even comes close.
Last edited by 3Flushes on July 25th 2017, 7:26pm, edited 1 time in total.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby artman » July 25th 2017, 7:13pm

Does anyone know if Maurice Lacroix is really on the verge of being sold? The local AD is selling them off at up to 70% off. I haven't seen these kinds of discounts since they gave up on Glycine.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » July 25th 2017, 7:19pm

Have any of you made similar observations lately? You bet:

My favorite watch store here in NYC, Kenjo, had a whole bunch of 40 to 70 percent off sales before closing its doors a few months ago (for some reason, it remains open as a "by appointment only" business and I guess they can order stuff for customers).

The NYC scene is confusing right now. Tourneau, indeed, has been having some deals of late, and the "Sale" counters in the two stores I frequent the most get bigger every time I look at them. So there are some deals here and there and at a couple of indies, yet the boutiques are, well, boutiques, and it's mostly MSRP time - and in a stroll in midtown this past Saturday, I see four more brand boutiques are opening in the coming months. I can't get a grip on the city scene, whether it's going well or not; all I know is that every watch store I go into, from the midtown Tourneaus all the way down to the Citizen store, are always busy. Probably the tourists keeping them going pretty well. I avoid the Diamond District kiosks like they have herpes, so I don't know what things are like there.
Cheapjack Horology Impossible To Disprove Drizzling BS O' The Week:
"I've been a fan of this company, these watches, for many, many years." - Skip Connelly on Glycine
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Return to Swiss Watches