Patek Philippe Declares No More Sealed Watches

All things Swiss

Patek Philippe Declares No More Sealed Watches

Postby Racer-X » July 5th 2017, 9:15pm

by Su Jia Xian (SJX) "Patek Philippe has made it mandatory for all retailers to sell its watches without the sealed factory packaging that has become a hallmark of the brand’s timepieces. In a letter sent two weeks ago to all retailers worldwide, the Geneva watchmaker asked retailers to “put an end to the sale of ‘sealed’ and ‘ doubled-sealed’ pieces”, with immediate effect."

Article at SJX

Photo credit SJX
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Patek Philippe Declares No More Sealed Watches

Postby biglove » July 5th 2017, 9:23pm

So even the likes of Patek is concerned about grey market sales?
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-Robert A. Heinlein
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby eddiea » July 6th 2017, 10:17am

What!! no double sealed? I was eyeing a Aquanaut 5168 but , no more ...no way I'm spending that kind of cash without the brown cardboard box....
“Sitting on a sofa on a Sunday afternoon going to the candidates' debate, laugh about it, shout about it, when you've got to choose
every way you look at this you lose."

eddiea
Founding Member - WIS

Postby abduksion » July 6th 2017, 11:44am

Wait so this has noting to do with their PP seal but the way retailers package them?
[b]I just wasted ten minutes reading that thread, what a total bag of shit
in memory of bigedsurf.
abduksion
Old Fart

Postby Hawk » July 6th 2017, 11:52am

I'm not at all sure how they're making the leap from dealers removing mummy wrap to inhibiting gray market sales. I can't even guess why one would impact the other.

Anyone buying gray probably knows it and would prefer to have the product sealed anyway. Why would anyone pay extra for "no box, no wrap"?
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby tiktok » July 6th 2017, 12:25pm

Pretty hard to get much discount on Patek in any case.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby 3Flushes » July 6th 2017, 11:12pm

My take was that it has to do with the ceremony, so to speak, of delivering a PP watch to a buyer; removing it from the protective packing material and delivering it in the "presentation box," along with the filling out of the papers with the dealer's information and the purchasers name and address which the dealer then records with PP. A friend told me once that he thought he was to have to marry his Reverso that he purchased at a JLC boutique.

It would be tough to sell as new on the gray market with no papers, even in all of the packaging. I don't think PP's like Omega or others where a gray watch would come with an Intl warranty card instead of the US version. While many people claim their dealers let them keep all of the packaging, I couldn't find anyone who claimed to get away with blank papers.

There's an AD here, I'll call and ask them and let yas know.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
Watchlord WIS

Postby AJC » July 7th 2017, 6:38am

I don't get it.
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby 3Flushes » July 7th 2017, 1:14pm

I spoke with two Patek Dealers, one of whom had not even heard of the policy.

The second told me that Patek considers a watch to be pre-owned the moment it is delivered. Patek's concern is that by allowing a watch to be sold with the shipping box and to remain sealed allows investment only buyers to potentially misrepresent a watch Patek considers used as brand spanlin' new. In Patek'a view, essentially a grey market is created where sellers of used watches could mis-represent them as new, or even as though they are being sold by an AD, although all pre-owned watches are sold without the original certificate which is filled out and registered at the time of purchase.

The gentlemen told me that PP may additionally believe that owners who have unsealed and worn their watches are placed at somewhat of a disadvantage on the legit used market, but that was merely his impression.

So there you have it.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
Watchlord WIS

Return to Swiss Watches