Graham Chronofighter Vintage GMT Watch

All things Swiss

Graham Chronofighter Vintage GMT Watch

Postby koimaster » July 3rd 2017, 9:29am

Those not intimately familiar with the various timepiece models produced by Graham might not even notice at first glance that the Graham Chronofighter Vintage GMT is a new watch. This isn't the first Graham "Chronofighter," it isn't the first "Vintage," and it isn't the first "GMT." Rather, it is a new model that blends a lot of what Graham has already done into a new and decently satisfying package.

Most people even remotely familiar with Graham will probably mistake the Chronofighter Vintage GMT for the previously offered, and soon to be discontinued I believe, Chronofighter Oversize GMT aka the Chronofighter GMT. The two watches have similar profiles, the same functionality (for the most part), and even share the exact same movement. The big differences are in the size and the price.

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/graham-chro ... L_CAMPAIGN)

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Graham Chronofighter Vintage GMT Watch

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » July 3rd 2017, 9:59am

I never really liked Graham - and with this one, that remains unchanged. "Chronofighter" written in Monotype Corsiva straight out of Microsoft Word is the really the icing on the cake.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby eddiea » September 29th 2017, 9:58am

They have grown on me, excellent movement work, different (and I like different) ...class , fit/finish and superb overall quality...
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby foghorn » September 29th 2017, 10:05am

I like everything but the pump handle pusher.
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby Mortuus » September 29th 2017, 10:24am

It looks like a teenie-weenie espresso machine; if they were to eliminate all the gee-gaws poking out of it, it would be a handsome watch, IMHO. :|
"My inner cynic tells me that if the Chinese are all in on renewable energy it's similar to finding out the Ferengi have endorsed solar." - Hawk
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Pubbie » September 30th 2017, 12:28pm

Mortuus wrote:It looks like a teenie-weenie espresso machine; if they were to eliminate all the gee-gaws poking out of it, it would be a handsome watch, IMHO. :|

The green dial is something. Several Grahams without the grenade pins on the side look great, and are good for winding up WIS with their boring shit at GTGs :)
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Mortuus » September 30th 2017, 4:56pm

Pubbie wrote:
Mortuus wrote:It looks like a teenie-weenie espresso machine; if they were to eliminate all the gee-gaws poking out of it, it would be a handsome watch, IMHO. :|

The green dial is something. Several Grahams without the grenade pins on the side look great, and are good for winding up WIS with their boring shit at GTGs :)

Yes, the green is nice, but that big CLA relief valve on the side is gonna blow steam while people are trying to watch "The Long Rancher," or some such thing as that, and sew fourth...
"My inner cynic tells me that if the Chinese are all in on renewable energy it's similar to finding out the Ferengi have endorsed solar." - Hawk
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » September 30th 2017, 5:40pm

Upon this thread being revived, I have revised my views on this watch, and now I like it even less. The whole pump-like assembly, Graham's signature design feature, still looks somewhat ridiculous. I mean, what's the point of it? I'd understand relocating the start pusher into the crown to make it a monopusher, but a reset pusher being left, and on top of that in a rather confusing location above the crown makes little sense. And I hate the inscription done in Monotype Corsiva even more than I have loathed it before. By Jove, are they too lazy not to make their own font? Not to mention the pretentious name. "Chronofighter." Aaaarghhh. Sounds Invictesque. Force Chronofighter Subaqa Reserve - doesn't that sound Lalo sort of proud?
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » September 30th 2017, 9:01pm

It's a stupid looking piece of fucking shit, one which makes me wish to hammer a Cabriole table let up my fucking ass.

Having said that, the bezel looks nice.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby biglove » September 30th 2017, 9:41pm

Yes sir.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Pubbie » October 1st 2017, 3:04am

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:Upon this thread being revived, I have revised my views on this watch, and now I like it even less. The whole pump-like assembly, Graham's signature design feature, still looks somewhat ridiculous. I mean, what's the point of it? I'd understand relocating the start pusher into the crown to make it a monopusher, but a reset pusher being left, and on top of that in a rather confusing location above the crown makes little sense. And I hate the inscription done in Monotype Corsiva even more than I have loathed it before. By Jove, are they too lazy not to make their own font? Not to mention the pretentious name. "Chronofighter." Aaaarghhh. Sounds Invictesque. Force Chronofighter Subaqa Reserve - doesn't that sound Lalo sort of proud?

Yes now you come to mention it, the name is a bit Comic Sans. And it's a crap name, but they all are. Yet despite being a zombie, I'd still have a Graham (bought used) over the tedium that most brand experts wank over though, and they are beautifully made (I have actually held one!).

Some of them have chrono pushers in the shape of the clutch and brake pedals out of a 1950s Bentley Continental. Awesome.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bedlam » October 1st 2017, 6:32pm

There are a couple of Graham's I like but that pusher kills it every time.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » October 1st 2017, 6:41pm

bedlam wrote:There are a couple of Graham's I like but that pusher kills it every time.

Well, absolutely. Graham's quality is freakin' off the charts; they're expensive, but it's understandable why. However, they're sometimes really honkin' big, and the freaking pushers or crowns look like something Flava Flav would wear at the end of a necklace. Not to mention the pump handle that spurted oil all over Moe's face.

Graham makes great watches (read about the painstaking quality control they do on their autos sometime), yet, not me, Pete.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby bedlam » October 1st 2017, 7:46pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:And I hate the inscription done in Monotype Corsiva even more than I have loathed it before. By Jove, are they too lazy not to make their own font? Not to mention the pretentious name.

Rolex uses a minor derivation of Garamond. So what?

I'm not a great fan of cursive script on dials, but the fact that the font isn't completely original would seem to be very nitpicky
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby Falstaff » October 2nd 2017, 8:47am

Tells time, makes lattes - what's not to like?
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Return to Swiss Watches