Laurent Ferrier Galet Regulateur

All things Swiss

Laurent Ferrier Galet Regulateur

Postby Racer-X » June 5th 2017, 11:08am

by Stephen Pulvirent "Few brands strike the balance between traditionalism and modernity with as much poise as Laurent Ferrier. On the wrist the watches look contemporary, while still appealing to those with a respect for time-tested things. This new watch takes a niche idea from the 19th century and brings it into the 21st century in a way that feels extremely relatable and fresh."

Article at HODINKEE

Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Laurent Ferrier Galet Regulateur

Postby tiktok » June 5th 2017, 11:36am

A lot of naysayer comments that are warranted about price. I believe it stands up to PP in quality, the finish work on these movements might even be better, but twenty years from now will it have value? I bought a watch from an obscure brand that was the darling of the press one year, the designer couldn't sustain the brand and now the watch shows up on eBay at less than 50% what I paid and its NOS.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » June 5th 2017, 12:22pm

Patek has a heritage to show off, so does VC, ALS does as well. And the brand name constitutes a considerable part of the price. Here, there's no heritage to show off, the movement- while LF micro-rotors are interesting - doesn't really go above what PP, VC or AP have to offer...

While I do think that it's a nice watch, twice the price of a solid gold ALS (for example, the 37mm Saxonia Thin, or the most basic Saxonia) for a watch in steel from a not particularly well-known maker doesn't sound like a good deal. Then again, if someone is OK with the price, and doesn't give a fuck about the resale value, then it's OK, I suppose.
Do you think I'm a hypocrite? Well, you should. I wouldn't disagree with you.
Francis J. "Frank" Underwood

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Senior Member & WIS

Postby tiktok » June 5th 2017, 2:20pm

Ferrier worked for Patek for 37 years. The finish work is phenomenal, see this comparison between Dufour, Credor and Ferrier:
http://www.hodinkee.com/articles/with-the-seiko-eichi-ii-versus-dufour-and-ferrier
I think it's priced fairly for the quality but it's Russian roulette as to sustaining that value.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » June 5th 2017, 2:32pm

Forty grand in stainless? Uh, nope. I have no doubt what ticker says above RE the workmanship being top notch, but it ain't 40 grand top notch.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT

Postby foghorn » June 5th 2017, 2:55pm

conjurer wrote:Forty grand in stainless? Uh, nope. I have no doubt what ticker says above RE the workmanship being top notch, but it ain't 40 grand top notch.

Ummm....Hello??.........It's surgical grade

This is the jinnies with their legahorns feinting to read in theirhandmade's book of stralegy while making their war undisidesthe Willingdone
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby tiktok » June 5th 2017, 3:05pm

So Dufour makes all parts of his watches and is booked up for the rest of his life. Recently one of his gold 3-handers sold at auction for $250 k. Ferrier is putting the cart before the horse and saying "our watches will gain value with time". I don't know how many units Ferrier is producing but certainly more than Dufour makes.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » June 5th 2017, 3:26pm

I didn't say the finishing on LF watches is any worse than on watches by PP, VC and AP, I said it wasn't better. In many ways, Laurent Ferrier reminds me of another manufacturer (back in the 19th century), who worked for Patek, and who after leaving the company started to make his own watches- H. R. Ekegren.

Quality-wise, LF and PP and VC are equals, only LF prices are hardly competitive. The question is: what does LF offer for a more-than-a-Patek price, that Patek, Lange, VC or AP won't offer at a price level that they have defined with their MSRPs?

Then again, the validity of that question is up to whether the potential buyer trying to answer it considers 40K MSRP for a steel watch a lot of money (but within range), or is he a Sheikh Abdul, who just crashed his Bugatti, but he doesn't mind, because it wasn't the solid gold one, and he's got a dozen more.

Unless Ferrier has a very good way of making his prophecy of resale value growth (above the MSRP) in time a self-fulfilling one, there is a very good chance, that they won't gain value with time. Most of the customers thinking along the "bang for the buck" line won't buy it, the ones seeking an investment will go for a brand that holds value better (PP), and unless Abdul the sheikh or Ivan the oligarch are WIS, they most likely have never heard of Mr. Ferrier's watches.

The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » June 5th 2017, 3:32pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:Then again, the validity of that question is up to whether the potential buyer trying to answer it considers 40K MSRP for a steel watch a lot of money (but within range), or is he a Sheikh Abdul, who just crashed his Bugatti, but he doesn't mind, because it wasn't the solid gold one, and he's got a dozen more.

This is one of the best paragraphs I've read in some time.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » June 5th 2017, 5:50pm

conjurer wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:Then again, the validity of that question is up to whether the potential buyer trying to answer it considers 40K MSRP for a steel watch a lot of money (but within range), or is he a Sheikh Abdul, who just crashed his Bugatti, but he doesn't mind, because it wasn't the solid gold one, and he's got a dozen more.

This is one of the best paragraphs I've read in some time.

I thank thee for the kind words, Mr. Conjurer- and glad I am, that thou likest it.

The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Senior Member & WIS

Postby tiktok » June 5th 2017, 6:34pm

This:

tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Return to Swiss Watches