Swiss watches and India

All things Swiss

Swiss watches and India

Postby koimaster » May 24th 2017, 9:37am

Despite the impressive size and growth of the Indian economy, Swiss watch exports to the subcontinent are underwhelming. Is an overestimation of the purchasing power of Indian consumers to blame?

Dr. Reddy (first name withheld on request) is on a horological hunting expedition. He is browsing the latest collection of Swiss watches in a luxury watch shop in the southern city of Hyderabad.

His watch collection includes timepieces that range from a couple of thousand Swiss francs to just over CHF10,000 ($10,238).

“I own two Omegas, a Girard-Perregaux, a Raymond Weil and a couple of Tag Heuers,” he says. “I am a watch-crazy collector and buy whatever I can afford.”

Next on his list is a Corum watch, manufactured in the western Switzerland watchmaking town of La Chaux-de-Fonds.

Reddy is a typical client at the Kamal Watch group’s flagship store located in the posh Jubilee Hills area of the city.

“Most of our customers are doctors, politicians and film producers,” says sales manager Ramesh Heerakar.

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/spending-po ... t/41957340

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Return to Swiss Watches