Make a better choice than I did: get an Airman Purist cheap

All things Swiss

Make a better choice than I did: get an Airman Purist cheap

Postby Racer-X » May 22nd 2017, 5:27pm

by John Biggs "Last week I finally pulled the trigger on a Glycine Airman ($695 on Jomashop) but I had to decide between a Purist model with a true 24-hour movement and a standard model with steel band. I chose the steel band model – I liked the styling better – but now I wish I had waited because dammit Massdrop has a the DC-4 in for $599 for either movement and I could have bought a steel band from Ebay and been a happy baby.

Dammit.

Anyway, this is a pretty good deal. The Airman 24-hour watch has as much provenance as the Speedmaster in terms of historical significance and styling. The original watch was a truly state of the art, created in 1955 for pilots who flew long routes and needed a sane way to manage time zones. The 24-hour movements were quite unique back in the day and by the 1960s they were popular war watches.

Obviously Glycine is about to hit a pretty weird place now that it’s owned by the QVC darlings Invicta and I suspect it will start heading downhill. Until then grab some of that old Glycine stock before things get messy. Also make sure you get the 24-hour movement – don’t be sad, old fool like me."

Article at Wrist Watch Review
Last edited by Racer-X on August 9th 2017, 5:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Make a better choice than I did: get an Airman Purist ch

Postby foghorn » May 22nd 2017, 5:44pm

I owned an Airman a few years ago. It was a great watch but the 46 mm non-purist model I had was just too big with the long lugs and I realized that I didn't need the convenience of 3 time zones.
I would suggest that anyone interested go for the non-purist version. I had an Aviator 24 hour dial watch and thought it would be cool but it didn't work out. Too many years of being used to a "normal" 12 hour dial was something I couldn't shake. The purist is a nice idea but I doubt that it will get much wear. From anybody.
I could never deal with it only being 6 PM but looking like it was 3 hours later. Might work for pilots and grunts but not your everyday WIS.

This is the jinnies with their legahorns feinting to read in theirhandmade's book of stralegy while making their war undisidesthe Willingdone
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 22nd 2017, 6:21pm

Just checked the Glycine website. Almost all of the Airman Vintage line is gone. Eyal the Barbarian sent it to Fiddler's Green. Fuck.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby Hawk » May 22nd 2017, 6:25pm

I snagged one of the DC-4 Purists before the plague set in.

Very nice. It will accompany me on the next overseas trip.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » May 22nd 2017, 10:27pm

foghorn wrote:I owned an Airman a few years ago. It was a great watch but the 46 mm non-purist model I had was just too big with the long lugs and I realized that I didn't need the convenience of 3 time zones.
I would suggest that anyone interested go for the non-purist version. I had an Aviator 24 hour dial watch and thought it would be cool but it didn't work out. Too many years of being used to a "normal" 12 hour dial was something I couldn't shake. The purist is a nice idea but I doubt that it will get much wear. From anybody.
I could never deal with it only being 6 PM but looking like it was 3 hours later. Might work for pilots and grunts but not your everyday WIS.

Ditto. 24-hr watches are cool in theory, but I need to know the time at a glance, and it's too difficult for my Vary smalle Brane to convert quick enuf.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Hawk » May 23rd 2017, 5:31am

conjurer wrote:Ditto. 24-hr watches are cool in theory, but I need to know the time at a glance, and it's too difficult for my Vary smalle Brane to convert quick enuf.

Ah, but when you're sitting in the Dubai or Bangkok airports you need to know the 24 hour time at a glance. And if I'm in either place I'm probably sufficiently toasted as to make the subtraction or addition of 12 to a number seem like differential calculus.

Telling time at a glance is a good thing but sometimes that means 24 hour time when all around you, including the flight information boards, are using 24 hour time. The DC-4 will be swapped out once I collapse in the hotel room.

Come to think of it even my handy-dandy Emirates app is telling me my flight leaves at 14:05 tomorrow. It leaves Dubai at 22:30 and the flight back leaves Bangkok at 21:25. The DC-4 is making more and more sense given that I got pretty jaked last night at a retirement party.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby eddiea » May 23rd 2017, 5:57am

Hawk wrote:
conjurer wrote:Ditto. 24-hr watches are cool in theory, but I need to know the time at a glance, and it's too difficult for my Vary smalle Brane to convert quick enuf.

Ah, but when you're sitting in the Dubai or Bangkok airports you need to know the 24 hour time at a glance. And if I'm in either place I'm probably sufficiently toasted as to make the subtraction or addition of 12 to a number seem like differential calculus.

Telling time at a glance is a good thing but sometimes that means 24 hour time when all around you, including the flight information boards, are using 24 hour time. The DC-4 will be swapped out once I collapse in the hotel room.

Come to think of it even my handy-dandy Emirates app is telling me my flight leaves at 14:05 tomorrow. It leaves Dubai at 22:30 and the flight back leaves Bangkok at 21:25. The DC-4 is making more and more sense given that I got pretty jaked last night at a retirement party.

I agree, easy at glance time reading while traveling, a big plus!.....
“I want to get to Key West and away from it all…Papa.”
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby biglove » May 23rd 2017, 7:58am

I have been using "military time" in healthcare since I was 18. My Dad is former USAF/US Army and I grew up knowing 24HR time.

I think in 24 HR time. Don't need a confusing watch with hands in the wrong places to tell me that 2100 is 2100 but looks all wonky on a dial.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Return to Swiss Watches