Visibility: Dive watch vs dive computer

Member dive photos

Visibility: Dive watch vs dive computer

Postby bedlam » October 10th 2014, 9:04pm

On a shore dive this morning and had stuff in my watch hand and tried to read the elapsed dive time on my computer. It is annoyingly hard as it often catches the sunlight from above and needs to be moved about to read easily. Here are pics of the readability of a watch vs a digital computer underwater. The watch kills it in term of at a glance readability of the elapsed time. To see actual time on the computer I have to change to a different output screen entirely - the watch of course nails this core function.

Last edited by bedlam on October 11th 2014, 2:27am, edited 1 time in total.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Re: Visibility: DIve watch vs dive computer

Postby conjurer » October 10th 2014, 11:41pm

An interesting take on it, Carl. While I've got your ear, let me ask a Noob-type question--what's better for a dive watch, a quartz or automatic movement? And why, goddamn it?
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: Visibility: DIve watch vs dive computer

Postby bedlam » October 11th 2014, 2:27am

Easy. Autos because they have souls :GGZ:

I don't think it makes a difference. The longest dive I have done was almost 90 mins. The difference in accuracy between an auto and quartz is irrelevant over that time period. Both are durable enough. If they get flooded the auto will need a service but the quartz may well be completely borked due to the battery shorting and leaking into the watch damaging the components.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Re: Visibility: Dive watch vs dive computer

Postby biglove » October 11th 2014, 6:06am

If only LCD watches had some type of backlighting that didn't chew through batteries. Have wondered how readable they were underwater because they are a bitch on a sunny day.

Now I know!

Thanks for sharing real world dive goodies with us desk divers!
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Return to Davy Jones Locker Dive Photos