Where did the orange go!

Where did the orange go!

Postby bedlam » September 15th 2013, 3:40am

Here are some shots of a colour palate used for training divers.

First a shot above water, then at 6m, then at 6m with a flash that returns the colours (because the light isn't being filtered through lots of water).

So will Doxa fix my broken orange??? Cos I really need all the extra visibility it gives me under the water! :idea:

:lol:

As an aside, notice I left the macro focus on by mistake in the middle pic and how it is distorting the straight lines when used from further back. Never noticed the effect before because I guess I'm not photographing straight edges much :shock:
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Re: Where did the orange go!

Postby Airframer » September 15th 2013, 7:45am

Well, damn. Does this mean yellow or blue would be more appropriate for a dive watch?
Airframer
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bedlam » September 15th 2013, 7:59am

Airframer wrote:Well, damn. Does this mean yellow or blue would be more appropriate for a dive watch?

The yellow is gone by 15 metres or so too. Black provides the best visibility.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby Airframer » September 15th 2013, 8:54am

Bedlam

After slogging through countless opinions of what features and characteristics make for an excellent dive watch from people who have never dived, I would be interested to hear your perspective on what works best. Hell, it may be more interesting to hear your take on what DOESN'T work - just like the whole orange dial thing. Or even "dive watches people love to buy but work like shit on an actual dive".
Airframer
Senior Member & WIS

Postby koimaster » September 15th 2013, 1:31pm

So I posted a link to this tread at the Doxa FB page.......... gone in 60 seconds.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby elau » September 15th 2013, 1:40pm

So there you have it. The Submariner by Rolex again stand the test of time. Other colorful "dive watch" best use for desk diving if you value your life. Or to match your Hawiian shirt of the day.
elau
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » September 15th 2013, 2:05pm

So you're saying, Carl, that Doxa lied about the whole Navy-divers-preferring-orange-dials thing? Jesus Christ! I'm totally aghast. This is, indeed, tragic news.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bedlam » September 16th 2013, 6:41am

conjurer wrote:So you're saying, Carl, that Doxa lied about the whole Navy-divers-preferring-orange-dials thing? Jesus Christ! I'm totally aghast. This is, indeed, tragic news.

No idea. It certainly provides no benefit to the diver...so who the hell knows why they would ask Doxa for it specifically.

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » September 16th 2013, 8:00am

bedlam wrote:
conjurer wrote:So you're saying, Carl, that Doxa lied about the whole Navy-divers-preferring-orange-dials thing? Jesus Christ! I'm totally aghast. This is, indeed, tragic news.

No idea. It certainly provides no benefit to the diver...so who the hell knows why they would ask Doxa for it specifically.

Maybe they were color blind!
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bedlam » September 16th 2013, 8:08am

conjurer wrote:
bedlam wrote:

Maybe they were color blind!

Or blind drunk? Or just blind?

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » September 16th 2013, 7:07pm

Nice work. Yet another micro brand myth debunked at WL.

Re: the distortion in macro mode: A true macro lens is flat field, that is, there is no curvature to the lens elements. With a true macro lens, light travels to the film or sensor an equal distance from the center of the lens as it does from the edges. This provides maximum sharpness with no distortion throughout the range of magnifications including 1:1 (life-size) or greater throughout the frame. In a camera with macro mode, what you are really getting is close focus, a shift in the focusing unit that allows closer focusing, or, a close focusing lens element that slides into place. The distortion in the middle pic is caused by the curvature of the lens elements and is always there, it's just more obvious in pics with straight lines.
Last edited by 3Flushes on September 17th 2013, 12:49am, edited 2 times in total.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bedlam » September 16th 2013, 9:14pm

Airframer wrote:Bedlam

After slogging through countless opinions of what features and characteristics make for an excellent dive watch from people who have never dived, I would be interested to hear your perspective on what works best. Hell, it may be more interesting to hear your take on what DOESN'T work - just like the whole orange dial thing. Or even "dive watches people love to buy but work like shit on an actual dive".

Its easiest to give examples of watches you like and I let you know if there are any problems with them. Otherwise I'd be typing for days :lol:

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby Airframer » September 16th 2013, 9:59pm

Typing for days? What's that in American time, hours or weeks? :D

OK, how about the watch everyone owns at some point?
I believe I've read some negative commentary from you on the Seiko Monster before....what does/doesn't work with this design?
Airframer
Senior Member & WIS

Postby koimaster » December 11th 2013, 4:21pm

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f137/how-g ... ost7098659

Re-posted the photos Bedlam took.
Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby koimaster » February 12th 2014, 4:43pm

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby koimaster » March 4th 2017, 11:41am

:D

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby BigCheez » March 4th 2017, 2:57pm

At first I assumed (based on the title) that this was yet another Trump thread.
BigCheez
ASSHAT

Postby TemerityB » March 4th 2017, 8:08pm

One of the truly great threads in the history of this forum, started by a dude who always walks it like he talks it - rock solid all the time.
"Funny how some things that start spontaneously end that way." - Neil Young
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Return to Dive photos