Captain says Tea Time at the AMCHPR (yes, watch content!)

Captain says Tea Time at the AMCHPR (yes, watch content!)

Postby AlbertaTime » January 31st 2017, 8:03pm

More good fortune at the AMCHPR, with a very unexpected arrival of a fascinating package of perfumed tea from fellow CWOWC member Brad Green, aka the editor of EastWatchReview. I'm no expert on tea, at all, so if anyone knows about this tea, please fill me in. The packaging is beautiful, the block of tea smells amazing, and it all comes with incense and a CD of music. I think I have a relaxing evening coming up :-).

Perhaps some contemplation about...a very hard to find *other* Chinese mechanical column-wheel chronograph, the Captain branded chrono from Fenglei Instruments Factory 风雷仪表厂 in Xian.

When opened in 1963 the Fenglei Instruments Factory made civilian and military measuring instruments, but later made watches, including a prototype chronograph that made it to only very limited general production. Unlike the Venus 175 based '63, more learned folks than me suggest this watch's movement is closer to, say, a Valjoux 23 and 72--so it's not just a reworked Sea-Gull. It's a separate build entirely with little or no shared DNA. As far as is known by Chinese collectors, even experts in China, these stopped being produced in the 1980s.

I was astonished to see this come up on Ebay, because I've had my eyes out for a long time. After being so disappointed dropping the ball on a 24 jewel Shanghai military diver a few weeks ago, this is a terrific personal pick-me-up, a stellar new exhibit for the AMCHPR...and so close to lunar new year that I hope it bodes well for a good 2017. 2016 was rough for me :-) The seller's photos made it look a little rough but as the photos show, it's in great shape. I haven't timed it for accuracy, but I have tested and it's fully operational, so...good! I admit it, I'm really thrilled with this. Today is a good day :-)

Photos...

Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Re: Captain says Tea Time at the AMCHPR (yes, watch content!

Postby Racer-X » January 31st 2017, 8:58pm

Nice pickup Ron, like that one. ebay can really be great for the tenacious.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » January 31st 2017, 9:56pm

There's some real hard pore chornography right there!!
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bobbee » February 1st 2017, 12:51am

The watch is beautiful, but please lose the "Liquorice Allsorts" band, AT! :D
"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby AlbertaTime » February 1st 2017, 7:15am

Racer-X wrote:Nice pickup Ron, like that one. ebay can really be great for the tenacious.

Thanks. It was worth the wait :-)

conjurer wrote:There's some real hard pore chornography right there!!

:-) Getting a mechanical chrono for $140. Priceless!!

bobbee wrote:The watch is beautiful, but please lose the "Liquorice Allsorts" band, AT! :D

Thanks, and...no. :-)
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby Hawk » February 1st 2017, 7:21am

Tea harvesting can be a wonderful thing in a country with no EEOC.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... OUTHS.html
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby Britboy » February 1st 2017, 7:49am

bobbee wrote:The watch is beautiful, but please lose the "Liquorice Allsorts" band, AT! :D

Hey, I like Liquorice Allsorts,
Allsorts.jpg
they have a special place in my cupboard and that strap can definitely stay. Thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Britboy
Senior Member & WIS

Return to Alberta Time Museum and Travels