Qingdao time capsule at the AMCHPR

Qingdao time capsule at the AMCHPR

Postby AlbertaTime » January 26th 2017, 10:47pm

In today's Chinese watch history, we view a very happy and recent AMCHPR catch :-)

Behold a large, full colour glossy Qingdao Watch Factory 青岛手表厂 booklet, a time-capsule of 1980s horological tech in Qingdao.

Opened in 1958. By the time this was printed, Qingdao Watch factory was about 25 years old and produced about 1.5 million watches a year. The company still exists, has roughly 3800 employees these days, and is one of the 8 largest watch companies in China according to infobase.gov.cn

Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Re: Qingdao time capsule at the AMCHPR

Postby conjurer » January 26th 2017, 10:51pm

An interesting find, Ron. Were these catalogues meant to goose export sales? I was wondering why there would be English text on some of the pages.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby AlbertaTime » January 26th 2017, 11:01pm

conjurer wrote:An interesting find, Ron. Were these catalogues meant to goose export sales? I was wondering why there would be English text on some of the pages.

I don't know if they did much foreign business then, but I'm sure they wanted to. And I expect they did, even if it wasn't highly publicized. Plus, Qingdao made the Jinmao line in the 80s and 90s and that was definitely a first grade Chinese watch, quite popular in China, so the company may also have just wanted to add a bit of foreign zing to the copy to boost homeland sales :-)

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » January 26th 2017, 11:16pm

AlbertaTime wrote:
conjurer wrote:An interesting find, Ron. Were these catalogues meant to goose export sales? I was wondering why there would be English text on some of the pages.

I don't know if they did much foreign business then, but I'm sure they wanted to. And I expect they did, even if it wasn't highly publicized. Plus, Qingdao made the Jinmao line in the 80s and 90s and that was definitely a first grade Chinese watch, quite popular in China, so the company may also have just wanted to add a bit of foreign zing to the copy to boost homeland sales :-)

I suppose that they probably did a fair amount of business in Hong Kong as well, which might explain it.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby AlbertaTime » January 26th 2017, 11:25pm

conjurer wrote:I suppose that they probably did a fair amount of business in Hong Kong as well, which might explain it.

I'd expect.

AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Return to Alberta Time Museum and Travels