Quotations on boxes at the AMCHPR...

Quotations on boxes at the AMCHPR...

Postby AlbertaTime » January 9th 2017, 8:50pm

Some new ephemera for the AMCHPR collection. This time, it's three new VCM boxes for exhibit, two of them with Cultural Revolution 文革 era quotations from 毛泽东 Mao Zedong on them.

Cultural Revolution economic policies were directly responsible for how China's watch and clock industry developed during the mid-1960s and early 1970s, as specifically as approving movement design approvals, and as general as the very planned decentralizing spread of horological technology and factories throughout the provinces during that era.

Not much more to say about these boxes, except:

1. I love having them in the collection, and I think they illustrate/represent important VCM history, and
  2. I could, please, use some help on the quotations because I don't read near enough Chinese/Hanzi/汉字 to hazard a translation.

First, a plainer Shanghai SS7 box...but I love the plastic insert :-)

Now, Quotations Box #1 , a Wannian Qing 万年青 brand box from Liaoning Watch Factory

And Quotations Box ##2, a Shanghai Watch Factory 上海手表厂 box. It was empty, so no photo needed.

Now, this last box interests me a lot. The only time I'm aware Shanghai used a red flame logo was with a very few of the 29 jewel Shanghai dive watches, like Micmicmor's Joel Chan's awesome example here (my photo, his watch). But I'm also aware that a red flame was among numerous of that era's iconic images, and the two images are not identical--but they're both Shanghai.

And some humour...

This parcel took a while to pass Customs, and when it arrived, it was taped as having been opened. Well, a box full of empty boxes would have made me curious, too :-)

Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Re: Quotations on boxes at the AMCHPR...

Postby Racer-X » January 9th 2017, 9:53pm

These are really interesting Ron and a nice addition. How did you come across them? Funny about customs possibly assuming a theft.

For the translation, maybe submit on Reddit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/translator/
Last edited by Racer-X on January 9th 2017, 10:29pm, edited 1 time in total.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » January 9th 2017, 10:24pm

Very interesting ephemera, Ron. As usual, you are the one guy in the Western Hemisphere who knows enough to save things like this--which would probably have ended up in the garbage someplace, and what a loss that would be.

Are these things what the watches shipped to the dealers inside?
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby AlbertaTime » January 10th 2017, 1:22am

Racer-X wrote:These are really interesting Ron and a nice addition. How did you come across them? Funny about customs possibly assuming a theft.

For the translation, maybe submit on Reddit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/translator/

I'll try that Reddit idea maybe, thank you! I don't think customs assumed a theft...I think they wondered why someone would send empty boxes. But maybe they did think thievery. Who knows :-)

conjurer wrote:Very interesting ephemera, Ron. As usual, you are the one guy in the Western Hemisphere who knows enough to save things like this--which would probably have ended up in the garbage someplace, and what a loss that would be.

Are these things what the watches shipped to the dealers inside?

Yup. Watches were often shipped to sellers without straps or bands. So I tried to get vintage straps, bands and bracelets, as well, and I have a number of them, now. Among them, since quotations are on the menu: this vintage Mao quotations bracelet I showed a good while back, too.

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby eddiea » January 10th 2017, 3:47am

Historical, really nice Ron! ....wonder what the Mao quotes said.
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby Wasp » January 10th 2017, 6:30am

Another personal peek of watch history behind the bamboo curtain. Glad you shared that.
Cheers.

We are waiting with baited breath for the translations.
Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist Fake News Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby AlbertaTime » January 12th 2017, 6:57pm

eddiea wrote:Historical, really nice Ron! ....wonder what the Mao quotes said.

Wasp wrote:Another personal peek of watch history behind the bamboo curtain. Glad you shared that.
Cheers.

We are waiting with baited breath for the translations.

The closest I found online was, for the first "quotations" box:

The Chinese people have high aspirations, they have ability, and they will certainly catch up with and surpass advanced world levels in the not too distant future.

Exact reference unknown to me. I believe it's a quote from Mao, but the heading on the box doesn't say that -- says something like "highest instructions" (最高指示) -- and I found the quote exactly as I've written it, but without direct linkage to Mao himself, and the second...

We should support whatever the enemy opposes and oppose whatever the enemy supports.

"Interview with Three Correspondents from the Central News Agency, the Sao Tang Pao and the Hsin Min Pao" (September 16, 1939), Selected Works, Vol. II, p. 272.
Last edited by AlbertaTime on January 12th 2017, 7:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby biglove » January 12th 2017, 7:24pm

What a great addition to your collection.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Return to Alberta Time Museum and Travels