The Ric Capucho Wing of the AMCHPR (with huge gratitude!!!)

The Ric Capucho Wing of the AMCHPR (with huge gratitude!!!)

Postby AlbertaTime » May 30th 2016, 1:25am

This post has been a while coming, and too long considering the subject matter...but it's about something very, very good. Near the end of last year, I received a note suggesting to expect an arrival, and then a package from Mr. Ric Capucho, known to WatchuSeek forum members as Ric Capucho :-). I was totally gobsmacked. I wrote Ric at the time...

Holy crap, Ric...

Y'coulda bowled me over with a chopstick. I thought maybe a couple of decent and maybe tattered vcms...not a mother lode of classic and modern Chinese horology. Best gift this Christmas by a looooong shot. And inspiring, too--get me back to my photography and drooling over new arrivals. Didn't pay a penny for customs, too, which was kinda what I expected.

Ric, seriously, I'm more than grateful and I hope you don't mind if I give you a very thankful nod when i write these watches up. They're all beautiful. It was like *gasp*, *wow*...*what?!?!?!?*...*oooooh* when I was opening the box(es) and I was at work and my brother was severely impressed at this good fortune. I'm pretty much speechless.

My very best regards, Ric, huge thanks and please accept my wishes for a great Christmas and a spectacular New Year!

Ron/AlbertaTime

Well, as I've mentioned, life has been busy (busier than always, too) and I'm finally getting around to giving Ric his belated due for astonishing generosity to the me and to the AMCHPR. The gift is especially valued because saving for my trips to China puts a huge dent in the AMCHPR acquisitions budget and, like everyone here, even a single new watch is time for much rejoicing! ...and they all came with kickass straps, bracelets, too :-) So...much, much, much rejoicing.

My photo-fu isn't tops but there's also no way I could really do this justice anyways, so let the bells ring out and the banners fly!!: The Ric Capucho Wing at the AMCHPR: (and I'm using some of Ric's description with these, mostly taken from Ric's thread: My (Mostly) Chinese Collection

The not VCMS...

Beijing Model 1 Re-issue:

Ric Capucho wrote: Beijing Model One Reissue, this one was Jun Liao's personal watch given to him by Beijing Watch Factory during the 55 year anniversary party.

Movement: B16ZR, Jewels: 27, Running time: over 40 hours, Waterproof: 3ATM, Movement: B16ZR, Diameter: 40 mm, excluding crown Thickness: 11 mm, Weight: 145 grams, Power reserve indicator, independent second hand, Water proof: 5 ATM

Beijing Zunda:

Ric Capucho wrote:Beijing ZunDa, my white dial sports watch. Ok, this one tugs at my heart in different directions. I *know* that it's yet another power reserve watch that's been contrived to look like some sort of faux-chronograph, and I *know* that the date window's oversized. But the dial is gorgeous, the hands and indices are perfectly lumed (a joy to look at in low light), and on a bracelet the thing has a reassuring weight to it. This watch is *strong*.

Diameter: 40 mm, excluding crown Thickness: 11 mm
Weight: 145 grams
Unique features: Power reserve indicator, independent second hand
Water proof: 5 ATM
Crystal: Sapphire Dial color: White
Case material: 316L stainless steel
Band Material: Solid stainless Steel
Movement: In-house 2C14 automatic

Beijing Zun Jue:

Ric Capucho wrote:The black-dial ZunJue handwinding, powered by some sort of hybrid between the SB18 that we all know and love and the T18 high-frequency movement which (I believe) is normally hiding behind an auto rotor. The name translates to Grand Marquis, according to Jun Liao, which is suspiciously precise.

Ric also added, which is absolutely true... "So here's the truth: the dial is a dream with its radial etching that is a charm to the eye (and a b1tch from hell to photograph)". I can only add a hearty yup. But on the wrist, it dances, and it's easy to tell time with a quick shift of the wrist in any decent light.

The VCMs (and I was really happy I'd found some old VCM caseback wrenches a while back)...

Shuangling 20 zuan:

Ric Capucho wrote:Mid to late 1970s vintage Shuangling 20 Zuan, which is probably better called a Shuangling Day Date. Anyways, our esteemed soviet guesstimated the age, and someone else (probably hked) believes it never went into production. So someone likely acquired a trayful of NOS prototypes and they then trickled their way onto TaoBao; I spotted one there, and then asked Jun Liao if he could source it, and had it in my hands a couple of weeks later (thank you, Jun Liao). Haven't seen any more for a year or so, so I'm guessing they're now unobtainium.

Tianjin WuYi 62-A

Ric Capucho wrote:Tianjin WuYi 62-A, most likely a 1962 vintage but maybe 1963.

40jewel/zuan SZB-1C automatic:

Ric Capucho wrote:I think there were only a handful of these prototypes in a range of different colours, so I have a feeling I have the only red one. Oh, and the red isn't simple paint as the three vertical stripes you see aren't a camera artifact but some sort of real holographic effect. Looks even more dynamite to the naked eye

Ric, my apologies for the delay in expressing my gratitude and in taking the photos so I could make this post (both took too long), and I could never thank you enough anyways. Remind me if I missed one or two, because with all the moving and shuffling of my collection lately, I think I might have.

I'm constantly humbled and amazed at the generosity I'm shown.
Last edited by AlbertaTime on May 15th 2017, 6:31pm, edited 4 times in total.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Re: The Ric Capucho Wing of the AMCHPR (with huge gratitude!

Postby codguy » May 30th 2016, 4:57am

Simply stunning Ron.
There is a reason you have the admiration and respect in the watch world we live in!

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby foghorn » May 30th 2016, 5:14am

Yikes!!!!!!
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby conjurer » May 30th 2016, 8:13am

Dang. Fuck.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Racer-X » May 30th 2016, 8:15am

Amazing acquisitions, congrats. My fav would be the Shuangling 20 zuan.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby hcharles » May 30th 2016, 8:31am

Very stellar watches. Each one an unique piece. It's hard to pick a favorite out the group. I would say, Ron, that you have done very well. Nice collection additions.
Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine. Abraham lincoln
hcharles
Watchlord WIS

Postby AlbertaTime » May 30th 2016, 2:02pm

Thanks for all the support and kind words, again, friends. That's yet another way I'm blessed with good fortune, and I don't take it for granted.

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby eddiea » May 30th 2016, 3:47pm

Nice Ron, really nice.....!
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby biglove » May 30th 2016, 5:32pm

Wow! The dial work on the black with bracelet and the red dial watch make me swell up.

Damn!
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby AlbertaTime » May 30th 2016, 9:49pm

:-) Thanks Eddie, BL...

Dials are a Chinese strong suit. They've had that down solid since the 60s.

AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Return to Alberta Time Museum and Travels