The AMCHPR Summer 2015 China Tour - Guilin, Part 1

The AMCHPR Summer 2015 China Tour - Guilin, Part 1

Postby AlbertaTime » December 13th 2015, 11:01pm

I've already written three articles on the AMCHPR 2015 China Tour...

...but I know it's been a while since I've posted more on the trip, and I know also that there's still lots to cover. After all, the above three articles covered only the first week of this years trip.

After that I visited Guilin, Xinmi, Luoyang, Yantai, Baichangshan Island, Liaocheng, Xinji, Shijiazhuang and Beijing over the next three weeks, which included the 100th Anniversary Celebration of the Yantai Polaris Watch Factory, almost a week with my brother MaRong and his wife touring Shandong Province, as well as visits to the Shandong Langelo Arts and Crafts Co. Ltd (a maker of vintage European clock reproductions that uses the casting and production techniques of the originals), the Shandong Liaocheng Watch Factory (Taishan then and now, and movements for modern brands), and an up close view of the enamel works at Koncise Watch. That's all coming up...but first, a personal note:

I've been asked about the delay in posts on this trip, and thanks for the concern and/or interest from all who enquired but all is very well. Suffice to say, it's just that I arrived back from this incredibly busy but taxing trip to expanded work hours at both of my two full time jobs, plus a move to a new house, and I had to mentally process and organize, besides over 4900 photographs, all the information and experiences of the three weeks I just described before I could continue my posts. And I'd found it hard enough just to sort and post the first three articles under that schedule.

However, my work hours are now happily back to something that affords me more time to document the rest of the Tour, so...Onward, and better late than never :-)...AlbertaTime tourists Guilin, the cusp of June and July/2015 - part 1. As always, I hope everyone enjoys joining me with my travels.

Next stop after Shenzhen was, as I noted: Guilin, which I wanted to visit purely because I'd seen photos like this one (not my photo/Wiki)...

...so Guilin was stop #2 for this trip, beginning with flying out of Shenzhen via China Southern (just fine every time, so far)...

(Watch photo #1)

landing at Guilin Airport, then heading in to town.

...When I arrived at my hotel, I immediately knew I'd made one of the good decisions of my trip,booking the delightful Parkside Hostel for a hugely economical $35/CDN a night. Good move for the 4 nights I was in Guilin. Excellent food on-site, ultra-friendly, absolutely comfortable, and only about 10 minutes walk to right downtown across the JieFeng bridge, and equally close to the whole of Seven Star Park, and only minutes by taxi to YaoShan/Yao Mountain.

I only scratched the surface of the beauty of Guilin this trip, and I still had my fill of premium Chinese scenic eye-candy. Keep in mind that the summer season is Guilin's wettest, dampest and greyest...and probably greenest. My time in Guilin was generally no exception, so the photos here reflect that, but it was warm, humid and foggy at worst, and clearer in the evenings. I was quite comfortable every day, all day.

Rather than be strictly chronological, I'll break down the photos from Guilin into to five sections: 1) Central Guilin in the Daytime, 2) Evening/Night Around the Downtown Area, and 3) 藥山 Up and Down YaoShan/Yao Mountain. (Guilin, sections 4 (the Li Jiang River Tour), and 5 (rafting near Yangshuo), will come next post).

Central Guilin in the Daytime, starting with the view from 解放桥 JieFang/Liberation Bridge:

(Watch-related photo #2)

And my sincere thanks to the many hard-working people that keep China so spotless.

==========================================

Evening/Night: Around the Downtown Area:

Guilin buskers video w/sound (average sound, but fun)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71BS8GL4VUg[/youtube]

===================================

Up and Down Yao Mountain

Yao Mountain is 903.3 meters high and is the highest hill in Guilin. The gondola ride is 1416 meters long, one-way. First things first: the rules of the ride:

My fear of heights is getting more and more manageable...but I still wasn't expecting [i]this[/]...

The toboggan slideis 100m long with 18 turns sliding down from the top.

Evening/Night: Around the Downtown Area:

===================================

The tease for the next installment...

Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Re: The AMCHPR Summer 2015 China Tour - Guilin, Part 1

Postby Racer-X » December 13th 2015, 11:09pm

That airport is amazing. Awesome trip and photos. We don't travel much so I really enjoy these posts, thanks.

Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby artman » December 13th 2015, 11:30pm

Looks like you had a great trip! I noticed that there doesn't seem to be a lot of people in this town. How's the food? Thanks for sharing.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby fatman » December 13th 2015, 11:30pm

As always, thank you for sharing your journey to another culture not many of us will ever be able to experience in person. I always enjoy your trips.
HF
fatman
ASSHAT

Postby Mortuus » December 14th 2015, 2:25am

Breathtaking shots, Ron...I had to chuckle at the cable lift instructions; one of the things I've always enjoyed in my Asian travels is the "Engrish" signs everywhere. And, of course, the whole presentation makes me want to acquire still more Jiusko watches. Good stuff! 8-)

Gunter. Globen. Glaussen. Glieben.
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby AlbertaTime » December 14th 2015, 10:16am

fatman wrote:As always, thank you for sharing your journey to another culture not many of us will ever be able to experience in person. I always enjoy your trips.

Your're very welcome, and thank you and everyone else with kind words for my efforts. I have to say that sometimes (actually, often) *I'm* amazed at the places I've been fortunate to travel, and this is especially so since I really never travelled much of anywhere (and certainly not off the NA continent) till I was 59 years old, and never had plans to do so...until I went looking for a new watch a few years ago. Look where that got me Image...

Mortuus wrote:...I had to chuckle at the cable lift instructions; one of the things I've always enjoyed in my Asian travels is the "Engrish" signs everywhere.

Well, they aren't that strict about the rules. I got past the mental problem restriction and the aged people "whose movements are inconvenient" part ;-)

artman wrote:I noticed that there doesn't seem to be a lot of people in this town. How's the food? Thanks for sharing.

Guilin is less populated than many Chinese cities at just under a million folks, but it's still a fairly busy place. I think a lot of the time I was walking around when most folks were indoors, working, but I also try not to make folks uncomfortable when I'm shooting so I'll often wait for things to clear up a bit before shooting a crowd. That said, Guilin is a tourist city, not an industrial location so there isn't the usual constant factory/business traffic.

No shortage of good food as far as I could see, but I was mostly just eating fresh fruit and veggies apart from the few (very tasty) meals I ate at the hotel because wonderful, *very* fresh stuff was all over the place and really cheap :-).

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby koimaster » December 14th 2015, 12:56pm

Great photos Ron. Looks like you had a good time. The chair lift looks like it needs an upgrade to a quad chair but hey, everyone had smiles on.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby conjurer » December 14th 2015, 1:52pm

A superb post, great pics and interesting travelogue, Ron. Just as we've come to expect!
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby AlbertaTime » December 14th 2015, 2:08pm

conjurer wrote:A superb post, great pics and interesting travelogue, Ron. Just as we've come to expect!

koimaster wrote:Great photos Ron. Looks like you had a good time.

Thanks, guys. I'll happily accept the kind words on the photos, but I think at least sometimes it's just easy to take decently interesting photos of exceptionally cool places :-)

AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby fatman » December 14th 2015, 3:42pm

The way I read the body language of your feet, it looks like you were holding on very tight.

:shock:

That is a sweet Tourbillon they gifted you.
HF
fatman
ASSHAT

Postby Tzimisces » December 14th 2015, 4:01pm

Looks like you had a nice time! Thanks for posting, my friend!
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby AlbertaTime » December 14th 2015, 5:17pm

fatman wrote:The way I read the body language of your feet, it looks like you were holding on very tight...That is a sweet Tourbillon they gifted you.

Yes...the tourbillon from Jiusko was very, very kind. Shockingly kind, actually, and I'm very grateful.

As for holding on tight, at the beginning I sure was, but I kinda got sidetracked as I was shooting photos...more worried about dropping cameras than falling :-). I will say that my fear of heights is dropping quite steadily, now, due to the number of very high places I've visited in China. For examples:

Guoliang Tunnel:

Cangyanshan:

Tianjin Eye (3rd or 4th highest Ferris Wheel in the world):

Last edited by AlbertaTime on December 14th 2015, 6:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby AlbertaTime » December 14th 2015, 5:18pm

Tzimisces wrote:Looks like you had a nice time! Thanks for posting, my friend!

Had a great time! Thanks! More to come...

AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Return to Alberta Time Museum and Travels