AlbertaTime China visit #3, Post #14 - last of this trip :-(

AlbertaTime China visit #3, Post #14 - last of this trip :-(

Postby AlbertaTime » September 7th 2014, 2:11am

All good things come to an end, it seems, and my far too short month in China was coming to a close. As always, photos in blue border courtesyy Li Wei.

I arrived in back in Beijing from Shenzhen/Guangzhou very tired, very happy but with my head spinning from everything I'd seen...and not just in Shenzhen/Guangzhou. My entire trip had been steady and very fast-paced, and everything I had seen was pretty much new to me.

So it was somewhat calming to be back again in familiar territory, the LiShi Hutong and the hotel that I call home, the Xiao Yuan Alley Courtyard Hotel. I wandered around the hutongs for a bit, then...

...headed over to see Liu Shuli at his store on the Dongsi Bei Da Jie. I wanted to thank him for his hospitality before I went back to the hotel to get ready for tomorrow's activities. Liu Shuli and I went to diner with afriend of his, then back to the store for some photos and just chatting tilll about 10:00. Time to sleep.

The next morning, galen (btgalen at WatchuSeek and Watchlead technical admin) and his wife picked me up to go shopping...

...then Galen dropped off his wife and toomk me sightseeing a bit...First to the compound of Patek Phillipe

The cat seems to be a fixture, and he has a buddy, but I missed getting a photo.

We went inside to the Patek Museum and spent about a half an hour lookinga round but photo aren't allowed :-(. Still, you have the adress now, so go yourself :-)

Then Galen took me to a tourist area near the Imperial Palace, but I don't know the name of the area. It's a great place for shopping; I could have gone broke in a few minutes, but managed to stay solvent somehow...

A very nice surprise was dinner with Galen's Mom, who came over to Galen's apartment to make supper and visit with Galen, his wife and I.

Doesn't get much fresher :-)

Which gets us to my 2014 China trips' greatest coincidence, running into a fellow collector, a WatchuSeek buddy, Robin Tallendier, nicknamed Fandegrue on the forums.

Robin was in Beijing studying on exchange. I was going to pick up my beijing Behai (original version) that had been arranged for me at the flagship beijing Watch factory story at oriental Plaza.

Robin walked in and...I'll let him tell the story from his point of view...here's the link:

Meeting with Ron and his friends in Beijing

Robin did a great job describing everything about the time we spent together over the next couple of days, my last two days in China, so -- if you want the story chronologically -- open his post in a second window, read it then come back here...

These two photos are from when Robin and I hunted for a cab to get to Panjiayuan market...

The next two photos are from when I walked around my Lishi Hutong home territory at the end of the first day with Robin...

And yeah, I was still taking photos of my new Jintuofei tourbillon...

before meeting Robin again the next night, LiWei and I had an appointment with the Koncise Watch Company Chairman, Mr. Kong Lingjun at the Luxury China show at the Beijing International Convention Center...

And, again, the notice of inclusion of a Koncise watch on exhibit at the Musee International D'Horlogerie in La Choux-de-Fonds, Switzerland...

The next photos are from the apartment of 郑怀宝 (Mr. Cheng Cheng Huai Bao) the calligrapher that, among other things, accompanied LiWei and I on the trip to Tianjin and Yantai, taken nbefore Robin met us that evening, as he describes in his very thorough report.

The next day was my trip home, and this is the last photo I took in China this trip.

And posting that last photo puts me right back in...

...well, I tell people that the three worst days of my life are the days I've had to leave China. I'm not really joking, and yes, I'm homesick for China, every day. Especially seeing that last photo of the airport kinda emotionally knocks the wind outta me some.

So these next photos are included in this post partly they mostly didn't make any other posts in this years series, and more mainly because I miss my friends.

My miserably insufficient thanks to everyone who made this trip so memorable...

Very very special thanks to Li Wei of the China Horologe Association who went far above and beyond to make this trip spectacular for me. I will never forget all he did for me, and I very much look foreard top seeing him again as we've arranged for July 2015 in Bejixing for the Polaris 100th Anniversary, Li Wei.

And very many thanks to all the forum mebers who have joined my on this trip, and especially those who took the time to comment or otherwise let me know they found something worthwhile in these posts. It's a pleasure sharing what I'm so lucky to have seen and done, and I have to admit that I have some guilt for sometimes forgetting to take photos because I've gotten so wrapped up in what I was doing.

And my last paragraph in this series is going to be about my brother Ma Rong in Shijiazhuang, and his wife Qi Ran.

I'll never have enough, or good enough, words to express how grateful I am for their presence in my life. Ma Rong and his wife and I are making arrangements for some non-watch related sightseeing next year. We agree that we didn't get to see each other near enough this trip, and so next year the three of us are planning visiting a few cities and spectacular spots together. I can hardly wait.

Last edited by AlbertaTime on October 21st 2016, 9:31am, edited 1 time in total.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Re: AlbertaTime China visit #3, Post #14 - last of this trip

Postby conjurer » September 7th 2014, 8:54am

A suitable bookend for your superb journalism, A-T! Thanks for taking us along on your learned and artistically remarkable travels.

I love the Patek cat. He certainly seems to be giving you the death stare.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Skip9766 » September 7th 2014, 12:11pm

Great post. Now I have to start looking into Sea Gulls. Thanks! :)
Skip9766

Postby biglove » September 7th 2014, 12:35pm

Makes me sad knowing this is the end of this year's photos.

Thanks for sharing with us!
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby hcharles » September 7th 2014, 1:02pm

Excellent travelog, AT. Good sample of life, sites to visit, and fantastic photography. Thanks for sharing your adventures.
Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine. Abraham lincoln
hcharles
Watchlord WIS

Postby AlbertaTime » September 7th 2014, 6:06pm

biglove wrote:Makes me sad knowing this is the end of this year's photos.

Makes me sad, too :-(

Thanks everyone for the kind words today and during this series.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby foghorn » September 7th 2014, 6:32pm

Quality stuff, Ron. It's always a pleasure to view these threads.
I appreciate the time that goes into these posts. It has to take awhile!
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby smellody » September 7th 2014, 7:21pm

Super posts. Definitely a BLAST! Until your next adventure.

smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Return to Alberta Time Museum and Travels