AlbertaTime China visit #3, Post #12 - The rest of CWC fair

AlbertaTime China visit #3, Post #12 - The rest of CWC fair

Postby AlbertaTime » August 25th 2014, 1:30am

The Rest of the show...

Warning: this is a monster post, almost 200 modem-taxing photographs...

The next morning, Day 2 of the China Watch and Clock Fair. Galen (btgalen) and I left the hotel together to walk to the Fair location, only a few blocks away, as LiWei and some others had a private meeting to attend.

These next shots are from that walk. It was about 10:30AM and already it was well over 30°C and very humid...but gorgeous.

So we made it to the Convention Center and...

...from here on in, I'm just going to post about the rest of the China Watch and Clock Fair, but in no particular chronological order.

The next few days were a whirlwind of activity, meetings and dinners, booth visits and revisits, lots of general wandering, a magazine and a radio interview...so I'm going to break up the report on the rest of the fair (27th/28th/29th) into two sections, with today's post being about the Fair itself (the remaining three days), and the next post being about the social evenings during the fair.

So: At the Fair...

The Sea-Gull booth:

Yantai/Polaris, including a video of the 100th Anniversary clock, taken in Yantai..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXtrvzgFDM8[/youtube]

...and a visit to the Meishijia/Yantai Messica booth, including a revisit with Meishijia's XuRong, who I'd met in Yantai, and who is a friend of Cathleen of the Yantai Polaris marketing department. They noted that both had travelled to Switzerland together on trade business.

Some wandering of the fair exhibits, including a historical exhibit...

A vist to the Jintuofei booth:

More wandering, to the Nanning Watch factory booth, with thanks to Mr. Wu Zhaochang, sales mager for hospitality...

Various businesses in both buildings...

Time2U watches, and a thank you to Deputy General Manager Mr. Arch Hu

There was a lot more to see here than just watch companies. the second building was full of exhibits from manufacturers of parts, leather and strap merchants, production machine, CNC and tool companies, publicity agencies...

Breaks over the days were often spent in the VIP lounge, where business and/or discussions took place, including talks with Rick li of Tianjin Edwin and an evidently very talented independant movement maker whose name I unfortunately do not know...

...very good food...

...and it was here that I concluded the deal with Liu Zhi Yang for my awesome Jintuofei tourbillon.

It was also here that I was interviewed by Ms. Rachel Xie for China's Moment magazine (http://www.ewatch.cn), the horological publication of the Shenzhen Fitime Conference and Exhibition Culture Co. Ltd., with very kind translation assistance from Ms. Tina Luo of ZhuHai Rossini

I loved discovering this company's clocks although I don't know anything about them. They build beautiful smaller clocks...

...and this incredible behemoth. Just jaw-dropping when seen in person.

Wandering around, and to the Beijing Watch Factory booth for some more photos...

And we run into a new Beijing SB-18 watch that has attracted some attention already on a few forums since being posted by WUS member ntchen

Another one I haven't seen before from beijing...

And a watch that bears surface similarities with Ben's Imperial, except the differences show Ben's attention to detail. The Beijing has a much plainer crown and case (especially lugs), finer finishing on the indices, and the Beijing radiant crysanthemum wave guilloche is only the wave pattern to the edge, unlike the Imperial's alternate band of pattern inside the chapter ring.

We leave Beijing for Tianba, and thanks for hospitality to mr. Zhang Chen Jian.

More wandering...

...and back to Jiusko, this time to meet Cherry (Ms. Lin BaoRu) of Guangzhou Yonghong Watch Technology Development Co. Ltd, as well as Morgan (Mr. Lu Hai)

We also visited the booth of Lishida, with Liu HuanJun and Li TianHui

Then past Sinobi to Adrian Choux of the Chinese Timekeeper. Adrian comes to this business hionestly, with past experience as Marketing Manager at Officine Panerai and Assistant Brand Manager at L'Oréal. Adrian's Chinese Timekeeper booth was visited by both Mr. Wang Mengjin, the Vice-Chairman of the China Horologe Association, and Koncise Watch Company Chairman, Mr. Kong Lingjun.

Two proud customers made purchases while we visited...

We also made a quite detailed visit to Ezon, possibly China's top brand of "smart" and/or digital multifunction watches, and talked with Marketing Assistant Kelly Ng translating during discussions with Manager Mr. Ai Qi When I asked for a brand I could use as a reasonable comparison, I was advised that these are competitive with Suunto in both quality and function.

Note the watch I was wearing, Ben...

Wore the Celadon Imperial all over the place...

And that's what I saw in Shenzen at the 25th Annual China Watch and Clock Fair from June 26th to 29th. It was a highly educational and very busy four days.

I'll close this post with a shot out my hotel window, and a look down at a local school next to the hotel, and finally a few shots of the Fair and surroundings...

...And how I feel about being there... :-)

And, as I noted: the next post will cover the social evenings during the Fair including (tease...) yet another shot of independant watchmaking wonderment. More to come...
Last edited by AlbertaTime on October 21st 2016, 9:29am, edited 1 time in total.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Re: AlbertaTime China visit #3, Post #12 - The rest of CWC f

Postby conjurer » August 25th 2014, 8:39am

Dang. Fuck.

Another fine post, A-T! Words fail me. One thing that springs to mind is how many young people in China seem enamored with horology, as opposed to most of us old bastards here--as well as very old bastards, like Mort.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: AlbertaTime China visit #3, Post #12 - The rest of CWC f

Postby AlbertaTime » August 25th 2014, 12:11pm

conjurer wrote:Dang. Fuck.

Another fine post, A-T! Words fail me. One thing that springs to mind is how many young people in China seem enamored with horology, as opposed to most of us old bastards here--as well as very old bastards, like Mort.

Really appreciate your support for these posts, my friend.

Having a watch is still a thing in China, a cultural desire that harkens back to the "three things that go round" that every responsible Chinese breadwinner aspired for their household to in the troubled times: a bicycle, a sewing machine and a watch.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Return to Alberta Time Museum and Travels