Fixed --AlbertaTime China visit #3, Post #11 - CWCF Day 1

Fixed --AlbertaTime China visit #3, Post #11 - CWCF Day 1

Postby AlbertaTime » August 17th 2014, 5:14am

Still in scenic and hot Shenzhen, we all had to move pretty quickly the morning of the first day of the 25th Annual China Clock and Watch fair (June 26th/2014), so I didn't bother with the camera until we arrived at the buildings of the Shenzhen Convention & Exhibition Center (SZCEC), the location of the Fair. I took a quick shot outside and in we went, rushing to get our passes and make at least part of the opening ceremony. We made the tail end ;-)

Next on the agenda was an opening press session where Fair organizers and other industry notables were introduced and/or made opening comments to the assembled press corp.

In this photo, Mr. Wang Mengjin, the Vice-Chairman of the China Horologe Association, addresses the assembled media folks, and the next photo shows how we were loosely arranged behind for photographs. I wasn't asked to say anything, but I was very kindly introduced :-) ...

...and -- as shown close-up above -- both LiWei and I (far left/far stage right) were proudly wearing t-shirts promoting the 100th Anniversary of Beijixing/Polaris in 2015 that LiWei had ordered, custom-designed, for the show (three only)...

here I'm being introduced to Mr. Zhu Shunhua, the Secretary-General of the Shenzhen Watch & Clock Association (SZWA) which co-organizes the CWC Fair with the China Horologe Association (CHA)

The fair, which is the largest watch and clock fair in China and the third largest international horological fair in the world, includes over 500 watch and clock-related exhibitors occupying over 45,000 sq. ft. of floor space over two very large buildings at the Convention centre (that's over 10,000 sq. ft. larger than last year).

Worthy of note, although I didn't concentrate on that aspect: 2014 was the first time any German company had exhibited. The German exhibitors were all from the BBD Group: Braun, Burgmeister, Elysee, Laco, Nivrel and Zeppelin.

Some more context from Shenzen Daily:

"Zhu Shunhua, executive vice president of the Shenzhen Watch and Clock Association, the fair’s organizer, said Shenzhen-made watches and clocks account for 60 percent of the country’s total market share. Shenzhen is the biggest watch and clock manufacturing center in China, with more than 1,000 clock and watch-making firms that have a total annual production value of 10 billion yuan (US$1.46 billion)."

So, on with the show.

First stop was the exhibit of Polaris Timepiece/Beijixing.

I thought I recognized that gentleman speaking to a Fair attendee :-) ...

......and I was very pleased to meet again with the president of Polaris/Bejixing, Mr. Zhang Zhao Ji, who I'd found to be great company while in Yantai when we visited the Beijixing/Polaris factory earlier in the month.

Mr. Zhang joined us for our next stop at M.C.H TimeArt to visit with the very friendly CEO and watchmaker of Longio, Mr. Mi Changhong.

I find the dimensional detail on these next Longio/MCH pieces quite astonishing...

Some more wandering...

I had been looking forward to this next stop since obtaining my very solid and eye-catching Jiusko dive watch.

There was no opportunity this trip to see the Jiusko factory ;-( but the invitation had been generously made to me, so I was grateful at least to be able to drop by and say thanks for the invitation, face to face. When we got there I was introduced to Morgan, whom I'd been told to ask for, and who was expecting me.

I very much wsh my camera-fu had been better on this next shot. It's a cool watch, and I did it no justice at all.

...and we learn that there must be some production connections between Jiusko and the popular Chinese fashion brands Eyki and Kimio. That goes a long way to explaining Jiusko's very modern and style-concious vision.

Next, some wandering around...

We also made a quick stop to meet with Adrian Choux of the Chinese Timekeeper (on our way to see the folks at the Rossini exhibit) so we could arrange a meeting in more depth the next day. So, more details about Adrian and his company tomorrow...but to whet your appetite...

...and on to Rossini...

...where Galen, LiWei and I were very pleased to re-meet Ms. Tina Luo of the overseas department at Rossini...

...and I was fortunate enough to be introduced to Mr. Chen Sichu, Deputy General Manager of Zhuhai Rossini.

It was well after noon, and we'd been running around a lot, so we took some time at the China Watch and Clock VIP lounge for some refreshments. Galen took this photo of me happily holding our VIP lounge pass :-)

...and note that we had also been joined by Mr. Li Qiu-sheng (Rick Li) of Tianjin Edwin Clock Company, Ltd, whom we've met before :-) ...

The VIP lounge was also where I was introduced to Jintuofei's Chief Watchmaker, Mr. Liu Zhi Yang...

...and where I was introduced to his tourbillon watches...

...including the one I would buy a day or two later :-)

Then it was off, past a few live mannequins...

...to see Mr. Miao Hong Bo, the General Manager of Beijing Watch Factory (whom I'd metback at the beginning of the month at BJWAF. There's a good interview with Mr. Maio here). Among other things, we had a very complimentary discussion regarding Benjamin Chee's beautiful (Imperial Red) Celadon Imperial watch.

The last stop before leaving the Exhibition buildings to get ready for the evening's Banquet was a courtesy visit to the Meishijia/Yantai Messica Timepiece Co., Ltd booth (we'll return there in a future CWCF post, as well)

Then it was out past the Polaris/Beijixing booth...

...and a great aquarium...

...and some Cosplay kids...

...to the great outdoors of Shenzhen...

We returned later that evening for the China Watch and Clock Fair banquet...

...attended by over 1000 people :-).

I'll let the photos speak for themselves. The food was wonderful :-)

These two especially beautiful photos are courtesy ggalen at Watchlead.com...

...and the balance are mine:

...and the banquet's Grand Finale...

...which seems a good place to end this post. All we did next was head back to our hotel rooms, dead tired, to rest up for Day Two!!
Last edited by AlbertaTime on October 21st 2016, 9:33am, edited 4 times in total.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Re: AlbertaTime China visit #3, Post #11 - CWCF Day 1

Postby AlbertaTime » August 18th 2014, 4:39pm

Fixed so all the photos show... Image

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Re: Fixed --AlbertaTime China visit #3, Post #11 - CWCF Day

Postby conjurer » August 18th 2014, 4:56pm

Most excellent, A-T! Normally, when I come across a very long posting I look for the nearest door--however, when it's one of yours, I dive right in, knowing I'll greatly enjoy your fine writing and photojournalism!
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby foghorn » August 18th 2014, 5:03pm

conjurer wrote:Most excellent, A-T! Normally, when I come across a very long posting I look for the nearest door--however, when it's one of yours, I dive right in, knowing I'll greatly enjoy your fine writing and photojournalism!

Moi aussi
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby koimaster » April 10th 2015, 2:41pm

deserving of a bump up.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby AlbertaTime » April 10th 2015, 3:05pm

koimaster wrote:deserving of a bump up.

Kind of you, Alain. Thank you.

Here's the next couple of days of the Shenzhen CWCF adventure.

AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby artman » April 10th 2015, 4:48pm

Thanks for the tour! Now I want to go to China.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby AlbertaTime » April 10th 2015, 6:54pm

artman wrote:Thanks for the tour! Now I want to go to China.

More than welcome, and I'm sure you'd enjoy a visit to China. It's an eye-opener. Go in spring or fall if you have a choice. Best weather, but very hospitable any time.

AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby jaw » April 10th 2015, 7:14pm

Didn't see this the first time around - thanks for the bump.
Fascinating as usual - Thanks AT.
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby Mark1 » April 10th 2015, 8:24pm

Interesting as always AT. You help put a face on the Chinese watch market. While too many write the Chinese off as cheap copycat artists you shed light on the richness of their storied history. We are fortunate to have you as a member.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member

Return to Alberta Time Museum and Travels