AlbertaTime in China, China visit #3, Post #8 - Guangzhou

AlbertaTime in China, China visit #3, Post #8 - Guangzhou

Postby AlbertaTime » August 3rd 2014, 1:28am

So...it's out of Shanghai, June 22 and into Guangzhou to meet with LiWei again. My ailments were gone; the fresh air of Shanghai and good companyhad served to pull me through, and I was well-rested. I was really looking forward to more learning and some hustle and bustle. As usual, I had no idea how busy things were going to get, or how interesting.

I arrrived in the early evening of the 22nd, and we had booked rooms in the same hotel (recommended by LiWei, and a nice place! Nomo Times You apartment). This was my room view, right to left...

LiWei and I met and he immediately took me to the top floor, somewhat more than 20 floors high, which has an open air/apen ceiling, somewhat walled, pool area, overlooking very scenic-at-night Guangzhou.

We spent about 20 minutes walking around, just checking the view and taking photos, then headed downstairs. LiWei suggested we grab a taxi so he could start showing me a few things. Excellent. That always ends well. We drove a few minutes to...

...First, the Guangzhou location of Touch Woman cafe, where I enjoyed some great coffee, and a new -- and very cool -- Touch Dog t-shirt. The owners of Touch Woman, the cosmetics company that gives the cafe its name, also own Touch Dog, a pet supply company.

Any photos of me in this entire post are taken by LiWei...

We then took a short cab ride to the banks of the Pearl River/Zhu Jiang, where we spent the rest of the evening walking, sight-seeing along the river.

One neat place we passed was this "theme hotel", in this case themed like "I don't know what"...but I'd love to stay there :-)

Here's what the rooms look like (from Cityweekend)

That journey, including crossing the haizhu bridge, took us to about midnight when we decided to call it a day and ready ourselves for the tomorrow. The next day, the 23rd, began with me looking out my window at the awesome daytime view...

Then, a quick breakfast followed by a walk to the nearby Yuexiu Park and ZhenhaiLou/Guangzhou Museum. We had some time to fill since today was for many people a meeting and preparation day leading up to Shenzhen in two more days. We were scheduled to meet some folks in the evening but had the day free.

Here's the park photos...

I took lots of photos of the museum and in the park, but stoopidly didn't take one of the main museum building, so (borrowed and credited: http://www.mandarinoriental.com)...

And here's Museum photos...

You may remember than we saw the replica of this water clock when I wrote about Yantai and the Polaris Horologe Culture Museum there.

A large outdoor clock dial...

...and a model of the building it used to grace...

...and back down to city level.

After the museum/park journey, it was getting obvious that we were headed for a rainy spell, so LiWei and I grabbed taxi to a very fine furniture store owned by a friend, for tea and also to meet to go together to the next appointment, the first (and very fine) restaurant of the evening. The furniture and wood artifacts in the store were clearly a huge cut above tourist material. This was product made for the ages. Many entire large pieces were of nailess/screwless contruction, all dowels, dovetails and other joinery meticulously done by hand. Prices matched.

As the rain diminished we made our way to the restaurant where I was to meet with Rr. Ha, a noted antiquties collector and also the owner of the Watchlead website, and "Galen" 杨羽成 (now a WatchuSeek member: btgalen, but also the technical support for the Watchlead website.

We ate there, then headed to yet another place for evening coffee...and watchtalk and some very impressive "here, handle this...".

I was so enthralled and having so much fun that I, again, neglected photos of the watches but did catch a couple of the Rolexes at the table, owned by a younger collector. Also present at the table were Laco, Vacheron Constantin, Omega, and Patek (I snapped a couple of 'em later, but not at this meeting). Bottom line, anyways, is the people are most important, and I didn't neglect snapping them. :-)

That was it till the next morning, and next post...which is going to be *very* watch heavy, and it's pretty much going to stay very watch- and clock- heavy till the end of this trip's series now. New and older factories, smaller shops, independent watchmakers, the 25th Annual Shenzen Watch and Clock Fair...all coming, still...
Last edited by AlbertaTime on October 21st 2016, 9:26am, edited 1 time in total.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Re: AlbertaTime in China, China visit #3, Post #8 - Guangzho

Postby conjurer » August 3rd 2014, 12:42pm

I, for one, don't care if you take another watch picture, A-T, as long as you continue enthralling us with the superb artist-quality snaps of your travels! As always, a fine photo-essay.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby AlbertaTime » August 3rd 2014, 6:02pm

conjurer wrote:I, for one, don't care if you take another watch picture, A-T, as long as you continue enthralling us with the superb artist-quality snaps of your travels! As always, a fine photo-essay.

That made my day, thanks Conjurer.

But get your modems greased up. Tomorrow's post, #9 in the 2014 series, is already 150+ photos long, and it's not ready for prime time yet. And, I know you don't care ;-)...but it's drenched in utterly on-topic horological content.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby Tzimisces » August 3rd 2014, 6:54pm

I agree with Conjurer. These posts are wonderful.

Thank you for taking the time, it is very much appreciated.
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Return to Alberta Time Museum and Travels