A Thoroughly British Obsession

Watches with British & Commonwealth roots

A Thoroughly British Obsession

Postby koimaster » October 3rd 2017, 12:01pm

Interview with Watch(Smiths) James Merrens

It’s 1953. Queen Elizabeth II, Britain’s longest-reigning monarch, is about to be crowned (she’s already launched the new royal yacht Britannia earlier in the year). Sugar and sweet rationing comes to a sticky-fingered end. And Edmund Hillary is about to conquer Everest along with his Smiths De Luxe wristwatch.

There’s enough controversy about which watch Hillary actually wore (rather than carried) to the summit to keep watch historians and the rumor mills busy for years. But there’s little doubt that Hillary took a Smiths with him on his defining expedition. After all, the watch featured in several ad campaigns after he’d made his successful ascent.

Smiths was a giant of British watch and instrument manufacture. They’d been watchmakers to the Admiralty, made speedometers and gauges for cars, aircraft (even the de Havilland Comet) and motorcycles. For a while, in the early twentieth century, they even made carburetors. They had a watch workshop in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire producing high-quality watches. And in the West Oxfordshire town of Witney, Smiths was a significant-enough local employer to build its own housing estate to provide accommodation for its workers, just a few yards from what was the Witney Aerodrome. Clearly more interested in engineering than being poetic, they christened it “Smiths Estate,” a name it still bears.

But what of Smiths today? The original watchmaking arm of Smiths has been largely defunct since about 1979 or 1980 (though the rights to the name have been purchased by Eddie Platts of Timefactors, who sells Smiths-branded watches through his online store). Those that remain of this bygone era, however, have been kept ticking by a loyal band of enthusiasts. One of these is James Merrens, the owner of the website SmithsWatches. https://www.smithswatches.com/

http://wornandwound.com/thoroughly-brit ... s-merrens/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: A Thoroughly British Obsession

Postby conjurer » October 3rd 2017, 7:41pm

Assuming that rancid fucking shit fucking watches dripping with fucking smegma and drool and that don't fucking fit and look like fucking shit are popular in the UK, then yes, I suppose Smiths watches could be a thoroughly British Obsession. So are videos of big fat girls taking shits on top of guys wearing monocles and spats and nothing else--wait, that's the krauts. Never mind. Carry on!
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby biglove » October 3rd 2017, 10:44pm

conjurer wrote:Assuming that rancid fucking shit fucking watches dripping with fucking smegma and drool and that don't fucking fit and look like fucking shit are popular in the UK, then yes, I suppose Smiths watches could be a thoroughly British Obsession. So are videos of big fat girls taking shits on top of guys wearing monocles and spats and nothing else--wait, that's the krauts. Never mind. Carry on!

You sure that wasn’t some Japanese videos? Sounds like Tub Girl freak to me?
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » October 3rd 2017, 10:54pm

biglove wrote:
conjurer wrote:Assuming that rancid fucking shit fucking watches dripping with fucking smegma and drool and that don't fucking fit and look like fucking shit are popular in the UK, then yes, I suppose Smiths watches could be a thoroughly British Obsession. So are videos of big fat girls taking shits on top of guys wearing monocles and spats and nothing else--wait, that's the krauts. Never mind. Carry on!

It may well have been; apart from my very pronounced yeller fever, I generally admire the Japanese society and culture, as I do the Germans. This certainly doesn't mean that both societies are batshit crazy with their sexual peccadilloes.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Pubbie » October 4th 2017, 1:14am

Small, crap watches with someone else's shit, puke, piss and wankstain on them have become v popular in the last 10 years since rich men starting losing places to put their cash. Now an issued watch gets passed around by a chain of identical Walter Mitty types, each one stuffing an extra few hundred up its snatch like a well-fucked whore!
Pubbie

Postby Falstaff » October 4th 2017, 6:23am

Where are the good old days of rum, sodomy and the lash?
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby relaxer7 » October 4th 2017, 6:45am

This place gets more mental by the day :lol:
relaxer7
Senior Member & WIS

Postby koimaster » October 4th 2017, 9:08am

biglove wrote:

You guys are perverts!

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby kevco » October 4th 2017, 9:32am

download.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kevco
Master of Time

Return to Hail Britannia