New Logo (Again) for Christopher Ward

Watches with British & Commonwealth roots

New Logo (Again) for Christopher Ward

Postby Racer-X » September 1st 2017, 7:49pm

Their new motorsport line now has a cross-flag thing, which was only being used on the crown after the last logo mess. They've lost their way.

Edit: link fixed
New Christopher Ward motorsport line

Last edited by Racer-X on September 3rd 2017, 6:28pm, edited 2 times in total.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: New Logo (Again) for Christopher Ward

Postby biglove » September 1st 2017, 7:52pm

Better than the hipster font.

I have never seen a watch brand change their logo so many times.

Logo stability is a sign of success and brand recognition. Could CW be in trouble?
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Racer-X » September 1st 2017, 7:59pm

My guess is the pedestrian re-do logo looks wrong on these watches or won't fit on the chrono models.
Last edited by Racer-X on September 1st 2017, 8:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bedlam » September 1st 2017, 8:05pm

Kinda points out the ridiculousness of all the made-up brand identity shit. But we keep falling for it...
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby jaw » September 1st 2017, 8:32pm

Better.

They shoulda hired me to do it in the first place.
Not that I offered my services, however.
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby AJC » September 2nd 2017, 4:41am

Oí vey...
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby foghorn » September 2nd 2017, 4:46am

Is this for the entire line or just the Motorsport models?
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby AJC » September 2nd 2017, 4:49am

Makes it look like a kick starter watch.

My lone CW has logo v. 2.0 ... We're talking years ago.
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby hcharles » September 2nd 2017, 8:33am

The new logo for Chris Ward does nothing to instill confidence in the brand. If they don't know who they are, how are buyers to know?
When Jack in the Box brought out the "Hot Mess", at least they knew what it was.
Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine. Abraham lincoln
hcharles
Watchlord WIS

Postby Racer-X » September 2nd 2017, 8:54am

foghorn wrote:Is this for the entire line or just the Motorsport models?

Just the Motorsport line (for now).
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby SaoGage » September 2nd 2017, 9:05am

What was wrong with the old (first) logo? I actually thought that one was nice...

Seriously, what the actual fuck are they doing?
SaoGage
Senior Member & WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » September 3rd 2017, 12:33pm

A logo is a logo, but I've no fucking idea, what's the point of removing the brand name from the dial. Just the name - OK. Logo and name - OK. Just the logo - not even fucking near OK.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » September 3rd 2017, 2:30pm

Surprised?

Identity by focus group will never lead to the establishment of solid heritage for the brand, and doing so is apparently not CW's mission. CW has become (or always has been) strictly a marketing entity.

They also date their products by logo- sales make clear they are dumping old crap they couldn't move; next stop JOMASHOP and COSTCO.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Rusty » September 3rd 2017, 4:55pm

Four logo changes in 10 years? If Rolex had done that it would now be called...whothefuckknows watches.

I wouldn't dare post this prediction on the CWL forum site but I predict sooner rather than later, Chris Ward (the brand's namesake) will exit the company and it will become a different brand courtesy of their new Swiss partners. That may be why Wera left.
Rusty
Master of Time

Postby tiktok » September 3rd 2017, 5:11pm

never heard of the brand...really.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » September 3rd 2017, 5:39pm

Rusty wrote:Four logo changes in 10 years? If Rolex had done that it would now be called...whothefuckknows watches.

Rolex had a history of using different names and logos much more impressive than CW, and most of that happened between 1920 and 1940. CW's three logo changes are nothing compared to that.

Rolex, at some point, has owned dozens of trademarks not pertaining to their inventions, but being only the brand names, sometimes for particular markets. Oyster Watch Co., Unicorn, Rolco, Genex, Marconi, Orchid - to name just a few.
Upon making the watches for Officine Panerai, they somehow even managed to register "Panerai" and "Luminor Panerai" as their trademarks (probably some deal with OP to use the trademark). Nevertheless, there were entirely Rolex-made watches sold under that brand... Not to mention non-branded watches sold to individual retailers (back in the 1910s, 1920s and 1930s the customers' loyalty was with retailers, not manufacturers).

Six pages of trademarks in Mikrolisk, about a fourth of that being brand names they have used. All of that dates mostly to 1920-1950. These weren't rebrandings or logo changes, but a far more chaotic marketing strategy than CW's. CW, at this point, uses three different logos, which compared to dozens of Rolex's "brands" seems somewhat reasonable. Well, almost reasonable.

Maybe some other historical examples now...

For what it's worth, a logo or stuff like the font used for the manufacturer's name can change a few times within a decade - for example, Omega changed the font at least four times from 1960 to 1970. The Eterna font changed three times between 1940 and 1960, and if to count the five dots (representing the Eterna-Matic's five bearings) becoming the logo, that's four changes. With Eterna-Matic being separately branded, that makes it five.

Another example would be the entire Nicolet holding from Tramelan. Dozens of brand names as well - actually, enough of them for me to suspect that a brand was Nicolet-owned, whenever I see an unfamiliar name on any chronograph with a Landeron 39 (Nicolet's favourite ebauche).

I only don't know what were the people at CW thinking, when they removed the brand name from the dial.
Last edited by MKTheVintageBloke on September 3rd 2017, 6:16pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winston Churchill

The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby tiktok » September 3rd 2017, 5:51pm

with the lightning fast interwebz these changes are public domain before the watches hit the street.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » September 3rd 2017, 6:11pm

SaoGage wrote:Seriously, what the actual fuck are they doing?

Well, yeah. I've never owned a CW, but I've learned about the brand and kind of admired it from afar. And, to me, at least, CW, had a status, a look, a style. And they looked like masculine, well-made though affordable watches.

Now, it looks like the ghost of Steve Jobs haunted Xiao Jian Hong, and together they produced this mess - it looks like a very hard eye exam at the DMV. C'mon, man. This honestly looks like the Parnis and Reginald watches they sell for $40 at Amazon.
"May I suggest chicken?" - HF
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » September 3rd 2017, 7:57pm

Motorsport watches that aren't chronographs are massively, Wagnerianly ghey. Three hand motorsport watches make me wish to vomit copiously, to spew gobbets of undigested food broadcast. They make me want to hammer a goddamn Cabriole table leg up my fucking smelly, puckered ass. The fact that CW doesn't want their name on the dial speaks volumes, because deep down they know these are massively, Wagnerianly ghey watches, too.

I rest my motherfucking case.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby biglove » September 3rd 2017, 8:24pm

TemerityB wrote:
SaoGage wrote:Seriously, what the actual fuck are they doing?

Well, yeah. I've never owned a CW, but I've learned about the brand and kind of admired it from afar. And, to me, at least, CW, had a status, a look, a style. And they looked like masculine, well-made though affordable watches.

Now, it looks like the ghost of Steve Jobs haunted Xiao Jian Hong, and together they produced this mess - it looks like a very hard eye exam at the DMV. C'mon, man. This honestly looks like the Parnis and Reginald watches they sell for $40 at Amazon.

Nailed it.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby artman » September 3rd 2017, 11:51pm

I liked the original CW logo. I didn't hate their newer minimalistic hipster direction their brand took. This 8 bit look I don't get though. Seems kinda out of place, but what the fuck do I know.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Rusty » September 7th 2017, 7:30am

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
Rusty wrote:Four logo changes in 10 years? If Rolex had done that it would now be called...whothefuckknows watches.

Rolex had a history of using different names and logos much more impressive than CW, and most of that happened between 1920 and 1940. CW's three logo changes are nothing compared to that.

Rolex, at some point, has owned dozens of trademarks not pertaining to their inventions, but being only the brand names, sometimes for particular markets. Oyster Watch Co., Unicorn, Rolco, Genex, Marconi, Orchid - to name just a few.
Upon making the watches for Officine Panerai, they somehow even managed to register "Panerai" and "Luminor Panerai" as their trademarks (probably some deal with OP to use the trademark). Nevertheless, there were entirely Rolex-made watches sold under that brand... Not to mention non-branded watches sold to individual retailers (back in the 1910s, 1920s and 1930s the customers' loyalty was with retailers, not manufacturers).

Six pages of trademarks in Mikrolisk, about a fourth of that being brand names they have used. All of that dates mostly to 1920-1950. These weren't rebrandings or logo changes, but a far more chaotic marketing strategy than CW's. CW, at this point, uses three different logos, which compared to dozens of Rolex's "brands" seems somewhat reasonable. Well, almost reasonable.

Maybe some other historical examples now...

For what it's worth, a logo or stuff like the font used for the manufacturer's name can change a few times within a decade - for example, Omega changed the font at least four times from 1960 to 1970. The Eterna font changed three times between 1940 and 1960, and if to count the five dots (representing the Eterna-Matic's five bearings) becoming the logo, that's four changes. With Eterna-Matic being separately branded, that makes it five.

Another example would be the entire Nicolet holding from Tramelan. Dozens of brand names as well - actually, enough of them for me to suspect that a brand was Nicolet-owned, whenever I see an unfamiliar name on any chronograph with a Landeron 39 (Nicolet's favourite ebauche).

I only don't know what were the people at CW thinking, when they removed the brand name from the dial.

Thanks for the update, bloke and pardon my ignorance on Rolex history. I should have selected another example. The point I was trying to make has less to do with the CWL logo changes and more to do with the notion that the company seems to wandering in the forest. It is frustrating for many who supported the brand early on, me included. I have probably owned 15 CWL watches and am down to 2 over my frustration with the company's business practices.
Rusty
Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » September 7th 2017, 8:30pm

Rusty wrote:Thanks for the update, bloke and pardon my ignorance on Rolex history. I should have selected another example. The point I was trying to make has less to do with the CWL logo changes and more to do with the notion that the company seems to wandering in the forest. It is frustrating for many who supported the brand early on, me included. I have probably owned 15 CWL watches and am down to 2 over my frustration with the company's business practices.

Rolex is not a bad example, only not in that context - their early history is an example of what CW goes through just now. Every major brand has been wandering in the forest at some point, trying to find its identity, scope, searching for a name and symbol that customers would remember and easily associate with the manufacturer and the quality of the watches.

I think that we seem to be expecting a wee bit too much of brands, which only a little over a decade ago got out of their sheds. Exempli gratia: until the 1870s, Georges Favre-Jacot was still pulling off some shenanigans with making cheap generic movements with useless capstones, or his Billodes ebauches in grades from "rubbish" to "holy shit, what a movement." And we all know, what a company grew from that not-always-great business, which was run by a guy, who by exploring a lot of opportunities could choose the one that worked best. That said, I think that the understanding of evolution of the watch companies is the key to understanding all that chaos in CW's actions. It's not really something that makes it look bad compared to established brands - it only does, when we compare a brand in the making to manufacturers one or two centuries old (for that matter, even ones 30/40/50 years old).
Winston Churchill

The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby Falstaff » September 8th 2017, 7:45am

How about a logo that says "watch this space".
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby codguy » September 8th 2017, 8:26am

Exactly what again are Christopher Ward watches?

codguy
ASSHAT

Next

Return to Hail Britannia