Christopher Ward Gets Back to Form

Watches with British & Commonwealth roots

Christopher Ward Gets Back to Form

Postby Darksider » November 1st 2016, 11:45am

Christopher Ward Gets Back to Form with the C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve

Words By Zach Weiss

It’s been a bit of a bumpy road recently for Christopher Ward. Their peculiar re-brand was met with a less than savory response, which was followed by the release of a few higher priced relic-based watches that just didn’t feel like the brand we know and love. Things got better, however, with the release of their new C8 Power Reserve and UTC models, which built off of their existing pilot line, taking things into potentially new and interesting territory. This was particularly true with the Power Reserve model, which featured their most fancily decorated SH21 in-house caliber yet.

They’ve followed that release with what could be called a new flagship model, and a watch that shows that while C Ward might have hit a bump, they didn’t lose their way. The new C1 Grand Malvern combines the spirit of their first the watch, the beloved C5 Malvern, with their bolder and more horologically significant C9 line. The result is something more handsome and unique than either, speaking to what is the brand’s new design language. If their is one criticism I’ve had for the brand over the years, it’s that their designs, while enjoyable, have often bit derivative. The C1 (and C8 pilots) have begun to address this.

Jumping into the watch itself, the C1 features a new case design that is their sexiest to date. They’ve dropped the bland, but handsome slab-sided 40 or 43mm case found previously on their C9 line, instead going with a 40.5mm design with unique geometry. From above, it keeps much of the classic lines of the former version, but from the side tells a very different story. The slab-sided mid-case is gone, making way for a more parabolic overall shape and a dramatic arcing side. They use this aerodynamic swoop to bisect the finishing, featuring horizontal brushing above and polishing below the line. This should also help break up the 12.45mm case height.

http://wornandwound.com/christopher-war ... r-reserve/
Darksider
Founder

Re: Christopher Ward Gets Back to Form

Postby bedlam » November 1st 2016, 7:20pm

Meh.

"Chr Ward" hasn't done anything I'd call interesting for a few years now.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » November 1st 2016, 8:19pm

This is gonna be a simplistic statement, but they have fucked up CW beyond all recognition with that Arial-like font.

Love 'em or not, Ward had a style. Now, it's ... well, your guess is as good as mine. I guess they're going for the hipster douchebag market at all costs.
"May I suggest chicken?" - HF
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Racer-X » November 1st 2016, 8:29pm

^^Yup....summed up in this graphic I have likely worn out posting here. It was made by a CW forum member to mock the new branding. The new logo is pedestrian and patronizing. I still like their new C1 Grand Malvern.

Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby tiktok » November 1st 2016, 10:05pm

Sexy slab sided cases...sounds like a Grindr ad.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » November 1st 2016, 10:57pm

I never really "got" CW. While they make, from all reports, a pretty decent diver, I could never buy into them because of the somewhat Charles-Nelson-Reilly-like handset.

One thing I give them props for is the fact that they're not mining a dead Swiss company for their history; they tried to go with the old British fashion shit with their old branding, and now with the somewhat less stodgy "Cool Britannia" new branding. They're also pretty good, apparently, with keeping their models in stock and available, as opposed to, say, Stowa, which always seems to have an absurdly long lead time to fill orders.

But, to paraphrase what Carl says above, there's nothing much that gives me a boner. You put a CW Trident up against a Stowa Seatime, the Seatime is far cooler, even though it's more expensive and you have to wait fifteen years to get one.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mortuus » November 2nd 2016, 12:15am

"The Christopher Ward Company has recently hit rock bottom and has since begun to dig in." - Anonymous Disgruntled Chr. Ward Former Fan. responding to Zach Weiss' gibbet-fobbing, hair-and-poppy-seed-biscuit-in-the-rectum blob of silly putty in lieu of anything worthwhile to say inanity (above)

Thank you.
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to Hail Britannia