Watch repair tools

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other

Watch repair tools

Postby Ofcmark » March 4th 2018, 5:16pm

I bought a pin pusher from Harbor freight and tools and the point broke first time I use it, so I was wondering if any of the Lords had any suggestions of companies to buy from. I'm not looking for high end Jeweler equipment but just something for the average guy like me to work with
Ofcmark
Watchlord WIS

Re: Watch repair tools

Postby biglove » March 4th 2018, 5:45pm

Every pin pusher I have bought has broken. I use a pin punch and a jeweler’s hammer.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby svaglic » March 4th 2018, 7:34pm

I've had two pin pushers and both broke on the first watch I tried them on. Like BL, I use a hammer and a pin punch. If my pin punch is too short I cut the ends off a heavy duty sewing needle and stick it in an old punch holder.
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Racer-X » March 4th 2018, 7:48pm

I buy nearly all my tools and batteries from Esslinger. They're reliable and carry inexpensive and higher end Bergeon and Horotec.

The only tool I bought from HF was the same cheap case/crystal press everyone sells but came with way more dies.

For Pin Punches, I like the ones with replaceable pins that are secured with a screw, a few choices starting at $13, then grab a set of three replacement pins for $3:

https://www.esslinger.com/search.php?search_query=pin+punch&Search=GOls/
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » March 4th 2018, 8:07pm

I'm a hammer and pin punch user as well, and this point, I'm hoping I don't have to use 'em again anytime soon. Those pin removers? I tried one once and it just snapped off on the first try. Luckily, I have backup. Buy good punches and a decent hammer, I agree with Racer; Esslinger's stuff is usually fine. Avoid those $7 Chinese sets they sell on Amazon and eBay.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Racer-X » March 4th 2018, 8:27pm

Esslinger also has a huge number of decent how-to videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/EsslingerCompany/playlists

If you're sizing a bracelet, I use the tool below to remove almost all pins unless they are extremely stubborn. It's only nine bucks, solid metal, gives more control and eliminates slipping and marking up the side of the link. Just be sure to stop turning before the head of the tool hits the link. For setting the pin back in, I use the nylon side of the hammer to push, followed by pin and hammer to finish.

https://www.esslinger.com/watch-band-pin-remover-tool-little-giant/

Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby gerdson » March 5th 2018, 2:54am

It is a real shame that there is seemingly no proper "halfways good" alternative between cheap crap and the professional range of tools.
In the end if You don't invest into professional tools, You come to regret it (stuff doesn't work, and You also risk to damage Your watch). That being said I can not get myself to spend a 4 digit amount myself... although I have thought about it.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
gerdson
Master of Time

Postby DocKlock » March 5th 2018, 6:28am

biglove wrote:Every pin pusher I have bought has broken. I use a pin punch and a jeweler’s hammer.

What he said.
Use GENTLE taps with the little hammer. Don't try and muscle it.
DocKlock
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Ofcmark » March 8th 2018, 7:04pm

I will be ordering some tools from from Esslinger. Thanks for the info.
Ofcmark
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » March 8th 2018, 8:40pm

DocKlock wrote:
biglove wrote:Every pin pusher I have bought has broken. I use a pin punch and a jeweler’s hammer.

What he said.
Use GENTLE taps with the little hammer. Don't try and muscle it.

Absolutely. Be patient with all watch repairs, even simple ones.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Mark1 » March 8th 2018, 11:55pm

Here's a picture of a bracelet sizing kit I have had for about ten years now. You don't need to spend a lot but it pays to avoid the really cheap stuff on Amazon/Ebay. This kit is available at Ofrei.com which is a good source for a lot of other watch related stuff as well.

See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member - WIS

Return to Anything and Everything Else