Speaking of books.........who reads 'em and what?

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other

Speaking of books.........who reads 'em and what?

Postby foghorn » March 3rd 2018, 5:43pm

Trying to drum up some business for B&N until John moves on.

I've been reading a shitload since Sept. I used to read a lot years ago,then slowed way down, and started again with a vengeance. I usually have 2 going at once. One is usually something non-fiction coupled with an easier fictional diversion. Big fan of "series mysteries" and have long ago read all the Spencer and Travis McGee novels. Also was a big Dick Francis fan. (I said Big Dick!) Did Ludlum and Cussler too. Lately I started the Jack Reacher series (chronologically of course) and I like a quick easy read to couple with David McCullough type stuff. Currently finishing the new Leonardo DaVinci book with a Casey Stengel Bio on deck. (how fucked up is that?) I still have half of the Reacher books to go.
So who reads what? And if you don't buy them from B&N you're a dick. (until John starts with a new gig)

"Work!!????"-Maynard G. Krebs

Like that but cat-F. Sklodowska
foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Re: Speaking of books.........who reads 'em and what?

Postby Rusty » March 3rd 2018, 6:05pm

I am almost entirely a non-fiction reader. I like biographies, especially show business bios but I have to admit that over the past year I have ventured into NYTimes BEST SELLERS. I especially enjoyed the Wright Brothers book, Neil deGrasse Tyson's Astrophysics for People in a Hurray, and the book on Sam Phillips of Sun Records fame. I read the Leonardo daVinci book also...quite interesting.

I just finished The Man Who Made the Movies, the story of William Fox. It was 700+ pages and I was so impressed that I contacted the author who said the book took her about 10 years to research and write. I just finished a Carl Reiner recollection and just started the bio of John Wayne. And when I kick the bucket, I shall make sure that my local public library gets a nice bequest.
Rusty
Master of Time

Postby svaglic » March 3rd 2018, 7:00pm

I like History, biographys, true crime, older literature and things like lost city searches. Working on a book about Tsar Nicholas now.
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby biglove » March 3rd 2018, 7:12pm

Love books about war. Currently reading James Strauss’ second book in his three part “Thirty Days has September.” Based on his experiences as a Lt in Vietnam. Still finishing up “Tears in the Darkness” about the Bataan Death March.

Have so many in my stack to read but next will likely be Gen. Hal Moore’s follow up, “We are Soldiers Still.”
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Mark1 » March 3rd 2018, 7:55pm

Strictly non-fiction here. Historical, auto-biographies, travel, aviation, military history, etc. Read mostly on Kindle but I did pick up a stack of hardbacks at the Goodwill recently.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member - WIS

Postby DocKlock » March 4th 2018, 6:10am

I'll admit I read mostly fiction. Buy most of them at Sally Ann on Wednesdays (1/2 off day) read them, save them till I get a box full and them bring them back to donate.
Love the Reacher novels and for mindless mush the Cussler books. I think Cussler is one of John's favorite authors.
DocKlock
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bobbee » March 4th 2018, 6:34am

Bookshops closed down in my town, nearest is seven miles away so I use this site: https://archive.org. and download ebooks.
Search using book title, or author.
You can also search for certain words using the menu that comes up below the search box.
You can join for free and reserve ebooks that are on loan, or just 'borrow' others and then download.
There are also listening books, films and other media available, it is a mahoosive resource, well worth a visit.

I have mostly fiction/sci-fi, some bios and auto-bios, watch books and some historical.
"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine."

"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby catnap » March 4th 2018, 6:41am

I was given a box of Mo Hayder books which I’m ploughing through at the moment
There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.
catnap
Watchlord WIS

Postby SaoGage » March 4th 2018, 7:12am

Big, big fan of GRRM's A Song of Ice and Fire. Planning a second re-read soon of the entire series. One of the greatest fantasy saga's I've ever seen, if not the best.

Favorite sci-fi book is the first Dune. Also enjoyed Hyperion. Planning to pick up the first book in the Malazan Book of the Fallen series.

Basically, I'm a big nerd when it comes to books.
SaoGage
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Thunder1 » March 4th 2018, 8:38am

HRC's 'What happened' right now..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » March 4th 2018, 9:15am

DocKlock wrote:I'll admit I read mostly fiction. Buy most of them at Sally Ann on Wednesdays (1/2 off day) read them, save them till I get a box full and them bring them back to donate.
Love the Reacher novels and for mindless mush the Cussler books. I think Cussler is one of John's favorite authors.

:D

Over the last year or so I've discovered Don Winslow, and read three of his books, The Power of the Dog, The Cartel and his newest, The Force. I have a rule these days: I'll pick up just about anything laying around, start reading it, and if doesn't grab me in 50 pages, fuck it, it's gone. Recently at work I picked up a reader's copy (freebie from the publisher) of Jason Matthews' book The Kremlin's Candidate, which was so laughably fucking awful that I only got two pages in.

I found Michael Woolf's book Fire and Fury delightfully bitchy.
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby NorthCountry » March 4th 2018, 10:43am

Finishing Hitch-22. Does reading tire you out? It does me for whatever reason, I can make five to ten pages in and I feel a lethargy set in. This even happens here with some of our lengthy threads. I prefer non-fiction, looking forward to maybe finding a new lead tome in this thread.
NorthCountry
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » March 4th 2018, 10:48am

NorthCountry wrote:Finishing Hitch-22. Does reading tire you out? It does me for whatever reason, I can make five to ten pages in and I feel a lethargy set in. This even happens here with some of our lengthy threads. I prefer non-fiction, looking forward to maybe finding a new lead tome in this thread.

Mark Bowden's Hue 1968 is very good.
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby NorthCountry » March 4th 2018, 10:55am

Thanks John, I will give it a look. Vietnam is always worth learning about.
NorthCountry
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » March 4th 2018, 11:07am

conjurer wrote: Recently at work I picked up a reader's copy (freebie from the publisher) of Jason Matthews' book The Kremlin's Candidate, which was so laughably fucking awful that I only got two pages in.

I just took a peek at this on Amazon. The first paragraph is about all I could take. OMFG!! reading this has to be torture.

foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby biglove » March 4th 2018, 12:00pm

Over the last few years I am finally learning that it ok to not finish a book I don’t enjoy. Really jacks with my OCD but frees up time.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Hawk » March 4th 2018, 12:57pm

Thunder1 wrote:HRC's 'What happened' right now..

Did you read Shattered: Inside Hillary Clinton's Doomed Campaign?

I'm going through the Travis McGee series for about the third time. This time in audio with a decent narrator. I've got all 21 paperbacks rat-holed around here somewhere. Travis McGee is a nice break from the historical and scientific stuff. I was ready for a break.
This space available for lease
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby Mortuus » March 4th 2018, 1:46pm

I just finished with The Talented Mr. Ripley, by Patricia Highsmith, which is a terrific book that does not end like the movie, and deviates quite a bit from the film in many ways.

My guilty pleasures are James Clavell's Shogun and (currently) Tai-Pan.

Another guilty pleasure is Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas series, a compelling story about a guy who speaks to -- and can physically touch & be touched by -- the dead, and his mission in life is to help them cross over.

Stephen King's Dark Tower series, which he wrote over a 30-year period. A bit self-serving on Mr. King's part, but a good read nonetheless.

Stephen King's The Stand. Trust me, if you're one of the ten people in the world who've never read it...
In Memoriam ~ BDWF ~ Riposa en Pace
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby tiktok » March 4th 2018, 4:38pm

I have been reading the Qu'ran in Arabic for several years. On the lighter side I like John LeCarre, Daniel Silva and Alex Berenson.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Ofcmark » March 4th 2018, 5:27pm

Mostly non fiction but I do listen to a lot of CD books because I have an hour ride each way to work
Ofcmark
Watchlord WIS

Postby bedlam » March 4th 2018, 5:52pm

Reading Other Minds. Its explores intelligence and consciousness in different critters, focused on the octopus.

Its turned out to be far more entertaining than I expected as Godfrey-Smith writes really well.

"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby Lost » March 11th 2018, 6:42pm

I have a commute, 130 miles every week. I put a free app on the phone called Overdrive, Bluetooth that to the car, and listen to 10's of 1000's of titles available free from county library.
All the Jack Reachers they had were excellent, good narration.
I down load three at time in case the story or the narration sucks.
This non fiction was one of the most captivating books I've ever listened to:
Lost
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Lost » March 11th 2018, 6:43pm

Ofcmark wrote:Mostly non fiction but I do listen to a lot of CD books because I have an hour ride each way to work

Look up Overdrive, install it, and plug in your library card.
Thank me later.
Lost
Senior Member & WIS

Postby koimaster » March 13th 2018, 8:52am

Just ordered the Russian Revolution by David Korn. Should be here tomorrow and purchased it from Barnes & Noble. Carol was a big reader and so I am. My daughter is as well. Just a couple of the book shelves and libraries I have at the house. My office at the house is home to over 600 books right now. I have book shelves built into the wall. Sadly my eldest son and his children are not book readers

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby foghorn » March 13th 2018, 8:59am

BVeing a dinosaur in many areas this wording sounds odd-and always will.

"most captivating books I've ever listened to"

foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Next

Return to Anything and Everything Else