Which Diamond Looks Better to You

A
43%
B
57%

Total votes : 7

Diamond Poll

Postby tiktok » December 21st 2017, 3:26am

I'm really curious to see what people think about these two diamonds. It is very hard to capture the vibrancy and clarity of the stones when shooting through a loupe held up to a cell phone. Still, while the color jumps all over the place I get a different vibe from each stone. Diamond A weighs 1.4 carats and Diamond B is a bit smaller. I will discuss the technical differences after people have a chance to participate if they want to.

A

B
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Diamond Poll

Postby foghorn » December 21st 2017, 4:26am

No help here. I’m totally devoid of gem knowledge of any kind. Which is surprising since I was once a stoner ..
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby Wasp » December 21st 2017, 5:43am

Bottom one Hearts and Arrows? Nice cut. Was it executed well? Place them crown down on a white base white background and let's see the color.
Last edited by Wasp on December 21st 2017, 6:35am, edited 1 time in total.
Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist Fake News Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby NorthCountry » December 21st 2017, 5:46am

I know nothing of diamonds Tik, but I'd say A. looks the best to me.
NorthCountry
Senior Member & WIS

Postby svaglic » December 21st 2017, 8:45am

I know nothing about diamonds, I'd pick the cut glass every time.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Hawk » December 21st 2017, 12:18pm

I once had gemstones as a hobby. Regrettably it never gained the depth needed even for a tiny bit of expertise. Most of what I learned was from some ex-dentist operating Pioneer Gem out of Auburn WA. And that was minimal - although I did pick up some knowledge of the pejoratives "mall diamonds" and "TV gems".

The ones posted are NOT mall diamonds - other than that I'm pretty much lost. In fact a large part of my abandoning the hobby was due to knowing just enough to appreciate some of the finer colored gems but having insufficient knowledge to know if I was being bent over the trestle. Gems to the uninitiated are similar to somebody developing a taste for vintage Rolex without the knowledge to avoid fakes. Recipe for disaster. I'm still taken aback when I see a yellow sapphire.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby Falstaff » December 21st 2017, 1:33pm

1 seems to have more going on, but I suspect 2 is the "better" stone.
"There live not three good men unhung in England - and one of them is fat...."

Henry IV part 2
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby Mark1 » December 21st 2017, 2:46pm

It's obvious to me that I lack the brilliance to pick a stone with any real clarity. I just wanted to be slightly included in this thread to offer congratulations to you both.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby 3Flushes » December 21st 2017, 3:00pm

B appears to be better cut; looks like a nice size, proportional table. As far as color or clarity who the hell could tell. B looks to be the livelier stone, and even on the black background, looks brighter through to the culet. A, given the pic, could be apiece of slag, polished into shape, but 140 points would be a fairly large piece of slag. The vibe I get from the two stones is for better pics, including a side view.
Last edited by 3Flushes on December 21st 2017, 4:49pm, edited 2 times in total.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby tiktok » December 21st 2017, 3:08pm

Wasp wrote:Bottom one Hearts and Arrows? Nice cut. Was it executed well? Place them crown down on a white base white background and let's see the color.

Yeah better photos would tell all. Quite a chacham there Flushes, chaver.
Waasp, you are good sir. Both are hearts and arrows and with all the new software and lots of skill these were beautifully executed. I'm blown away by the impact of technology on the quality of the best cuts. It was a different story 25 years ago...lol. In laymens terms A has virtually zero inclusions but is a tiny bit closer to yellow in colour. B is whiter but has several minor inclusions. Thanks for input.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » December 21st 2017, 3:33pm

What I think about these two diamonds... I think that if it wouldn't have been made clear that they're not two pics of the same diamond, I wouldn't fucking know. That said, while I'd love to help, I know nothing about these things (well, I know that I don't like them on watch dials, and I'm good with that being all I know about diamonds).

On a more serious note, if I were to make any observations, I don't know if A is yellow-ish. Has more of a...pink glare to it? Dunno - is it the stone, or the pic (and, that said, the poorer quality of photo A). Without a camera with a good macro, I can only express my understanding for the difficulties that taking a good shot with a phone cam and a loupe tends to create. I have tried taking pics of movement markings (under the balance wheel) this way, and it's a genuine pain in the arse.

Also, in the pics it's hard to spot inclusions or whatnot, especially to someone who knows nothing about diamonds (someone like me). I can only assume that said inclusions are something undesirable (apologies in advance for inadequately strong vocabulary, should inclusions be an issue of greater importance than my peasant mind could ever imagine it to be).

In my considered opinion based on a coin toss followed thinking of it over a beer and then tossing the coin nine more times, I'd say A.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby smellody » December 21st 2017, 3:40pm

I need to mount the stones together in a pinky ring for my right hand. I'll report back, in full, of my experience in a couple decades.

VVS1 and D is what I've always been told to go for...

I like diamonds. They are a pirate's second or third best friend. Rum and gold fit in there too.

smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby tiktok » December 21st 2017, 4:21pm

Dr S methinks you doth mock me. In a small stone I see no train to go beyond VS1. But what do I know, I'm the king of yellow sapphires straight from the mines of Sri Lanka.

PS I am not buying until May so these specific stones are irrelevant, just curious to hear the Lords input. I am still waiting on visits from Smellody and Wasp so we can spray paint Tourneau red for greed.

smellody wrote:I need to mount the stones together in a pinky ring for my right hand. I'll report back, in full, of my experience in a couple decades.

VVS1 and D is what I've always been told to go for...

I like diamonds. They are a pirate's second or third best friend. Rum and gold fit in there too.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby smellody » December 21st 2017, 6:56pm

NO. No mocking.

I sold my Jaguar MK2 to finance the wedding and rings... It wasn't very big, it was .74 ctw marquise diamond for her E, vvs1. It was probably over kill.

I am currently obsessing over this for myself:

https://m.costco.com/Princess-Cut-0.95- ... 00220.html

VS2 I or better for Costco stones. That is a good measure for me and the standard that I will hold to now.

Great job researching and educating yourself!!!

Can't wait to hit the town one day with ya Tok!

smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby tiktok » December 21st 2017, 7:02pm

Yeah, Smells come on by.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » December 21st 2017, 8:32pm

If you are going for brilliance, clarity and color, a Moissanite from Charles & Colvard is going to beat the ever living shit out of diamond any day, all day and at 1/2-1/3 the price.

The cut, from what I can see in the photos, looks better in B but that could just be the photo.

The wife isn’t a big fan of diamonds due to an appreciation of the unethical business practices of DeBeers. I share her disdain for those bastards. Her solitaire stone in her anniversary ring as well as her tennis bracelet are C&C’s highest end Moissanite. And they are stunning.

If you are using a Platinum or white gold setting, color is going to be more evident than if you use a yellow gold setting.

https://www.charlesandcolvard.com/moissanite-faq/
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Wasp » December 22nd 2017, 6:11am

Pleasant diversion....

Cheers
Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist Fake News Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Return to Anything and Everything Else