Homeless vet's kindness paid forward, BIG LEAGUE!

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other

Homeless vet's kindness paid forward, BIG LEAGUE!

Postby 3Flushes » November 24th 2017, 12:27pm

An inspiring break from the usual fare in the news...

Couple raises thousands for homeless veteran to thank him for selfless act...(NOTE: The fund nw totals $319,000 +)

(CNN)When Kate McClure first met Johnny Bobbitt Jr., he was homeless.

He spent this Thanksgiving resting in a hotel, his feet up on the bed, drawing up a grand plan for his new life -- thanks to several thousand dollars she raised to repay him for a good deed.

Bobbitt used to spend most of his time sitting with a sign on a roadside in Philadelphia.
In October, McClure was driving down Interstate 95 there when she ran out of gas. Scared and nervous, she got out of the car to head to the nearest gas station and met Bobbitt. He told her to get back in the vehicle and lock the door. Minutes later, he emerged with a red gas can.

He had used his last $20 to buy her gas.

Bobbitt didn't ask for money; McClure didn't have any then. Over the next few weeks, she gave him a jacket, gloves, a hat and socks. She would give him a few dollars each time she saw him.

But McClure wanted to do more. About two weeks ago, she and her boyfriend, Mark D'Amico, who both live in New Jersey, started a GoFundMe page. They hoped to raise $10,000 -- enough money for first and last month's rent, a reliable vehicle and up to six months of expenses. Normalcy.

Full story at:
http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/24/us/couple-raises-money-for-homeless-man/index.html
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: Homeless vet's kindness paid forward, BIG LEAGUE!

Postby biglove » November 24th 2017, 5:40pm

I avoid the news for the most part nowadays due to the constant politics and BS. This is a refreshing tale.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Wasp » November 27th 2017, 6:22am

Contrary to the belief of some on this forum there are good people in all walks of life.
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bobbee » November 27th 2017, 6:34am

The generosity of the American people is well known and documented. It gives hope where and when it is needed.
Good luck to both parties.
"fact of the day, 1 out of 3 trump supporters are as stupid as the other 2" ~ Twitter

"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine."

"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby foghorn » November 27th 2017, 9:16am

Is it the real John Bobbit? Was he half cocked when he helped her?

"Work!!????"-Maynard G. Krebs

Like that but cat-F. Sklodowska
foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby TemerityB » November 27th 2017, 10:10am

I read this story elsewhere. It's an F'ed up world, but it's the small pockets of good that make it all worthwhile. Really inspiring stuff.

For some reason, this springs to mind:

"The world is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there – not the other way around." - John Cleese

I'm glad this down-on-his-luck man found someone good and sane to enter his life.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Return to Anything and Everything Else