US government climate report 2017

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other

Re: US government climate report 2017

Postby foghorn » November 7th 2017, 6:24pm

smellody wrote:Damn hipster rooster.

I thought you were old enough to have soul.

I had it,lost it, got it back, and forgot where I put it.
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby smellody » November 7th 2017, 6:31pm

This was my family's beach home in Rockaway Beach.

I spent my summers here as a child. In third grade, my parent divorced and I lived here year round for the next year.

During this time I went to school at Nehalem grade school (yes, I still have all my teeth). This would have been like 1982. The environmentalists came into the school multiple times and all but scared me to death that I would awaken floating out in the Pacific any future morning.

The beach grass used to be a slight gentle slope to the beach. I took this photo a month ago.... the Oregon Coast is still there. The sea level beach house is now above sea level!

smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby conjurer » November 7th 2017, 7:51pm

smellody wrote:This was my family's beach home in Rockaway Beach.

I spent my summers here as a child. In third grade, my parent divorced and I lived here year round for the next year.

During this time I went to school at Nehalem grade school (yes, I still have all my teeth). This would have been like 1982. The environmentalists came into the school multiple times and all but scared me to death that I would awaken floating out in the Pacific any future morning.

The beach grass used to be a slight gentle slope to the beach. I took this photo a month ago.... the Oregon Coast is still there. The sea level beach house is now above sea level!

I bet that's a nicer beach house than Charles Ninetoes had.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bedlam » November 7th 2017, 9:02pm

0-60 in 3 secs is all the "soul" I need.

Bring on the electric revolution 8-)
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby bedlam » November 7th 2017, 9:09pm

smellody wrote:During this time I went to school at Nehalem grade school (yes, I still have all my teeth). This would have been like 1982. The environmentalists came into the school multiple times and all but scared me to death that I would awaken floating out in the Pacific any future morning.

Seas along the New York coastline have risen by about a foot during the past century

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/sltre ... id=8518750

Also; http://www.climatecentral.org/news/new- ... tion-21506
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby codguy » November 8th 2017, 5:42am

bedlam wrote:Seas along the New York coastline have risen by about a foot during the past century

A century.......... thats like 100 years (give or take).

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby Mortuus » November 8th 2017, 10:13am

Hawk wrote:
Mortuus wrote:Now PLEASE don't bombard me with the virtual reams & reams of scientific "facts" and quotes from your side, 'kay? I'm just gonna ignore them, as they make zero sense to me...like, well, always... :lol:

How about a non-scientific, fact-free personal guess / prediction?

It's all theater - they'll probably all be electric by 2050 anyway. They'll put in a couple amendments in the interests of "grandfathering" and progress will do what progress is wont to do - it'll replace the old with the better and it'll do it painlessly.

Forget the Eye-tallion thing above - how's about a little UK action?

Described thus:
The P1 features a 3.8-litre twin-turbo V8 petrol engine.[9] The twin turbos boost the petrol engine at 1.4 bar to deliver 727 bhp (737 PS; 542 kW) and 531 lb·ft (720 N·m) of torque at 7,500 rpm, combined with an in-house developed electric motor producing 176 bhp (178 PS; 131 kW) and 192 lb·ft (260 N·m). With both engine and the electric motor, the P1 has a total power and torque output of 903 bhp (916 PS; 673 kW) and 723 lb·ft (980 N·m) of torque. The electric motor can be deployed manually by the driver or left in automatic mode, whereby the car's ECUs 'torque fill' the gaps in the petrol engine's output, which is considered turbo lag. This gives the powertrain an effective powerband of almost 7,000 rpm.[10] The car is rear-wheel-drive with a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission developed by Graziano.

My fearless prediction (fearless as I'll not be around to pay off if wrong) is that the internal combustion portion will become more and more irrelevant while improvements in the electric portion continue. Costs come down and the market will be perfectly happy. There's 35 friggin' years between production of the P1 and the "deadline". The internal combustion engine doesn't have any big improvements on the horizon and the electric traction motor is just coming out of the starting blocks.

Fear not - the gearheads in 2050 will decorate their cupcakes. Standard cars with friendly pricing will be gradually electrified without noticeable price increase or other agony. Hopefully Cali generates more of their own power by that time - it'd be ironic if they had to build 40 coal-fired power plants in downtown Sacramento to feed all those electric cars.

Well, to be honest, I have to agree with you about all newly-manufactured cars being electric, and sew fourth, but I -- selfish evil conservative hater that I am -- am far more concerned about where I'm gonna get gas for what I call "My Big Girl," AKA "MAD MA GUMBY," our beloved, near-mint 1975 Cadillac Eldorado, which, although it's not necessarily gonna tear up the auction sites, is still my less-than-20K miles-on-the-odometer, more-fun-than-a-human-being-should-be-allowed-to-have* baby girl. (WOOF! ;) )

"Mad Ma Gumby" **

I seriously doubt that there'll be a conversion kit available for the old girl, but one never knows, do one? Besides, in 2050, I'd be 91 years old, an age I have about as much chance of reaching as 200, and I'm no bicentennial man. Still, I like to think that this big 'ol girl will still be able to make that hill under her own, internal-combustion propulsion, and by-bloody-damned hell, in violation of that cretinous varmint's dying gift to my beloved Princess Califia, from whom I still draw strength, everyday of my death. (And, hopefully, whomever gets this car will know what to do with all those Peter Frampton, Jimi Hendrix, CSN&Y, Supertramp, Steve Miller Band and myriad other 8-Track tapes from 1972 through 1979... :???: )

"And when my ugly big car won't make that hill, I'll write a suicide note on a hundred-dollar bill, 'cause if you wanna run cool, if you run cool, yeah, if you wanna run cool, you got to run on heavy, heavy fuel..." *** 8-)

One last thing, and on a personal note: Hawk, you RAWK!! 8-)

___________________________________________________________________________________________

* Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media, All Rights Reserved.
** Copyright ©️ 2013 Mortuus Aviation, LLC., All Rights
Preserved.
***Copyright ©️1991 Dire Straits / Mark Knopler, All Rights Reserved.

Gunter. Globen. Glaussen. Glieben.
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby conjurer » November 8th 2017, 10:23am

That was the best Cadillac ever made, you damned old goat.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Hawk » November 8th 2017, 1:16pm

Mortuus wrote:Well, to be honest, I have to agree with you about all newly-manufactured cars being electric, and sew fourth, but I -- selfish evil conservative hater that I am -- am far more concerned about where I'm gonna get gas for what I call "My Big Girl," AKA "MAD MA GUMBY," our beloved, near-mint 1975 Cadillac Eldorado, which, although it's not necessarily gonna tear up the auction sites, is still my less-than-20K miles-on-the-odometer, more-fun-than-a-human-being-should-be-allowed-to-have* baby girl. (WOOF! ;) )

"Mad Ma Gumby" **

I seriously doubt that there'll be a conversion kit available for the old girl, but one never knows, do one? Besides, in 2050, I'd be 91 years old, an age I have about as much chance of reaching as 200, and I'm no bicentennial man. Still, I like to think that this big 'ol girl will still be able to make that hill under her own, internal-combustion propulsion, and by-bloody-damned hell, in violation of that cretinous varmint's dying gift to my beloved Princess Califia, from whom I still draw strength, everyday of my death. (And, hopefully, whomever gets this car will know what to do with all those Peter Frampton, Jimi Hendrix, CSN&Y, Supertramp, Steve Miller Band and myriad other 8-Track tapes from 1972 through 1979... :???: )

"And when my ugly big car won't make that hill, I'll write a suicide note on a hundred-dollar bill, 'cause if you wanna run cool, if you run cool, yeah, if you wanna run cool, you got to run on heavy, heavy fuel..." *** 8-)

One last thing, and on a personal note: Hawk, you RAWK!! 8-)

___________________________________________________________________________________________

* Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media, All Rights Reserved.
** Copyright ©️ 2013 Mortuus Aviation, LLC., All Rights
Preserved.
***Copyright ©️1991 Dire Straits / Mark Knopler, All Rights Reserved.

My wild guess is that you'll be well taken care of - a buddy of mine has already taken to putting 55 gallon drums of fuel in his garage and there's no shortage predicted for, well, forever. 'Course there's a just a touch of nitro methane in those drums and a good dollop of tetraethyl lead.

Hobbyists, one hopes, won't be too inconvenienced. The average Joe doesn't care what goes in his old Camry - so long as it gets to work and back all is well. In 35 years I suspect electric will be ubiquitous with most of the dilettante performance types still driving electric but more along of a lower priced Tesla S type performance car.

There will always be a place for old tugboats, horses and Stanley Steamers. Antique cars have waivers for lead - when one is dealing with less than 0.1% of miles driven annually most municipalities take a chill pill.

If I had the money I'd renovate and put SS United States in service and that puppy, I believe, burned 600 tons a day. Norwegian Cruise Lines bought her fairly recently and I hope they do right by the old girl.

As for me personally, I'm happy provided something has enough space for cannolis. You can provide the next work car.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby Mortuus » November 8th 2017, 1:52pm

No worries, mio caro amico, "Mad Ma Gumby" is available to haul as many, um, units? Yeah, units, dat'll woik! as you may need; her trunk is cavernous, even with the shovels and bags of lime baking supplies that're always there when you wanna, you know, make some homemade treats, or something. I dunno The baking possibilities are endless. We'll just hafta have to see, I suppose.

In the interim, thank you for floating me the list of stiffs you want planted all of your administrative support.

"Kid" Rocco Bonano
Master Pastry Chef
Bonano's Bakery - A Family Business!
Newark, NJ

Gunter. Globen. Glaussen. Glieben.
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Previous

Return to Anything and Everything Else