Oh, shut the fuck up, you fucking nerd.

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other

Re: Oh, shut the fuck up, you fucking nerd.

Postby foghorn » October 26th 2017, 7:01am

Do male born transgender Eskimos have female Inuition?
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby Racer-X » October 26th 2017, 7:51am

^^Only when wearing Crocs.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Hawk » October 26th 2017, 8:01am

AJC wrote:Carl, I think you're mistaking some of us being offended with us making fun of the article and author. I am in no way offended by this twit and his worthless "article".

It's simply funny to me that people think this way so strongly that they must write an article about it.

I am, however, offended that there are no transgender American Eskimos in their ads. What about the fucking transgender Eskimos?

I can't offhand recall being offended by a SJW. I have, however, been greatly amused by them from time to time. This is, IMHO, at least partially due to the epic clumsiness of deploying offense on behalf of others of which they are not a part.

Thus far we have a grand total of one comment on the article at TechCrunch from a woman and Helen takes no offense at the marketing. She appreciates the (arguably clumsy) attempt and offers a cogent observation on the use of the word "girls" where it's inapplicable. But after the dust has settled there's no indication that women are offended and yet another SJW has beclowned himself through overreach. She may have a point with "girls" we've gradually removed questionable terms starting with "broad" and ending with "gal" neither of which are heard much in the present day. "Girls" may well follow in the context of women but unlike other terms still has relevance in the pre-pubescent crowd.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby WatchDorks.Net » October 26th 2017, 8:23am

iwasbanned wrote:Sounds to me like they are targeting men who wanted bigger watches.

BUT THAT'S SEXIST!!!!

Lolwut?

Businesses that target marketing solely to men are inherently sexist, but it's fine for businesses to target solely women. That's perfectly acceptable.

It's the same politically correct double standard we see applied to other groups. If you cater solely to whites, you are by definition a racist. If you cater solely to [insert minority group here], you are by definition "embracing multiculturalism" (even though if you are SOLELY catering to a particular minority group you are doing precisely NOT that).

IMO, any group/business should be able to cater to/market to any group(s) they want. Just stop with the hypocritical double standard.

I too will be happy when the era of the SJW is in the rearview mirror... although I won't be able to point and laugh as much. :lol:

Back under my rock.
Proud "hater" since 2009. Get over it and have fun reassembling yer wartches.

WatchDorks.Net
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » October 26th 2017, 8:36am

Frankly, I've always enjoyed the double standard when it comes to all things erotic. Men who read Penthouse and Playboy were routinely labeled as "pervs," while Cosmopolitan and Vogue were free to publish cover headlines like "How To Have Fabulous Multiple Orgasms Using Simple Kitchen Appliances," "How To Make Him Give You Orgasm After Orgasm – Or Else," and "The Only Doctor You Need Is Named Johnson." Yep - women are liberating themselves and healthily exploring their sexuality, while men are a bunch of fapping apes who are wholly disgusting.

Errr.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby iwasbanned » October 26th 2017, 8:56am

AJC wrote:Carl, I think you're mistaking some of us being offended with us making fun of the article and author. I am in no way offended by this twit and his worthless "article".

It's simply funny to me that people think this way so strongly that they must write an article about it.

I am, however, offended that there are no transgender American Eskimos in their ads. What about the fucking transgender Eskimos?

To be fair to Carl, the statement above in bold can be interpreted as a response to being offended. It's a strong reaction don't you think?

of·fend
əˈfend/Submit
verb
cause to feel upset, annoyed, or resentful.
"viewers said they had been offended by bad language"
synonyms: hurt someone's feelings, give offense to, affront, displease, upset, distress, hurt, wound; More
iwasbanned
Master of Time

Postby AJC » October 26th 2017, 9:17am

No. Because I honestly don't feel upset, annoyed, or resentful. I appreciate the official definition, but it doesn't fit my emotional response to this article.

I literally find it hilarious. I still think he's a nerd and should shut the fuck up. But that's just my opinion and I won't be offended if he continues to write online articles.

Have a good afternoon!
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby Hawk » October 26th 2017, 10:38am

WatchDorks.Net wrote:
iwasbanned wrote:Sounds to me like they are targeting men who wanted bigger watches.

BUT THAT'S SEXIST!!!!

Lolwut?

Businesses that target marketing solely to men are inherently sexist, but it's fine for businesses to target solely women. That's perfectly acceptable.

It's the same politically correct double standard we see applied to other groups. If you cater solely to whites, you are by definition a racist. If you cater solely to [insert minority group here], you are by definition "embracing multiculturalism" (even though if you are SOLELY catering to a particular minority group you are doing precisely NOT that).

IMO, any group/business should be able to cater to/market to any group(s) they want. Just stop with the hypocritical double standard.

I too will be happy when the era of the SJW is in the rearview mirror... although I won't be able to point and laugh as much. :lol:

Back under my rock.

It reminds me of people like Wing and Betosh fucking up and soliciting input from the WG Design Group which invariably consisted of "biggerer and plumper". As I recall it failed as one can't out-invicter invicter. Still it's not offensive and WG had a fair number of females that could have taken offense but didn't.

Now if they add dial cages, buzz saws and 2 or more cables then it would be horologically offensive but still not sexist.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby AJC » October 26th 2017, 3:36pm

IWB, in which field of engineering do you work? I ask because my employer is paying for a college degree in a company-relevant field.

I have narrowed it down to mechanical and electrical engineering and was wondering if you worked with either of these.
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby iwasbanned » October 26th 2017, 4:27pm

Electrical engineering. I work on microchips.

Those two degrees are pretty good. I would go EE but I'm biased.
iwasbanned
Master of Time

Postby bedlam » October 26th 2017, 4:42pm

Transgender Eskimos are being left out??? WTF. There are whole worlds of campaigning I'm just becoming aware of!

:benni:
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby AJC » October 26th 2017, 5:12pm

Thanks for the reply. I still haven't made up my mind. All I know is that the amount of calculus seems a bit overwhelming.
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby iwasbanned » October 26th 2017, 5:27pm

AJC wrote:Thanks for the reply. I still haven't made up my mind. All I know is that the amount of calculus seems a bit overwhelming.

Math won't be much easier on the ME side :-). You really can't go wrong with either. Depending on where you live or wish to live or current job, one might be more valuable than the other.
iwasbanned
Master of Time

Postby AJC » October 27th 2017, 5:48am

True. I've been leaning slightly towards mechanical engineering because even though either would further my career at my current employer, the products I manufacture utilize mechanics and electrical wiring and components to operate, I find my work on the mechanical side to be smoother and more efficiently produced.
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby foghorn » October 27th 2017, 5:59am

How about Choo-choo train engineering?
There are many themed wartches that you could ware.
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Previous

Return to Anything and Everything Else