Oh, shut the fuck up, you fucking nerd.

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other

Oh, shut the fuck up, you fucking nerd.

Postby AJC » October 25th 2017, 3:09pm

-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Re: Oh, shut the fuck up, you fucking nerd.

Postby Mark1 » October 25th 2017, 3:16pm

Another member of the perpetually offended generation.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby foghorn » October 25th 2017, 3:35pm

Indeed
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby biglove » October 25th 2017, 3:42pm

I believe the appropriate response, in my generation’s vernacular, is “FUCK OFF AND DIE, SISSY PANTS!”
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » October 25th 2017, 4:07pm

This is what Nomos gets for coming out with the Club Campus.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby foghorn » October 25th 2017, 4:22pm

conjurer wrote:This is what Nomos gets for coming out with the Club Campus.

A well placed horological jab.

Bully for you!! Huzzah!!!
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby conjurer » October 25th 2017, 4:25pm

foghorn wrote:
conjurer wrote:This is what Nomos gets for coming out with the Club Campus.

A well placed horological jab.

Bully for you!! Huzzah!!!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bedlam » October 25th 2017, 4:58pm

Its interesting what little it takes to get a generation of white males here 'perpetually' offended.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » October 25th 2017, 5:01pm

bedlam wrote:Its interesting what little it takes to get a generation of white males here 'perpetually' offended.

I'm offended by this remark, goddamn it!!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » October 25th 2017, 5:21pm

There's no telling just how great it feels to bash articles like that...
...and sexist watch companies who suggest, in no uncertain terms, that dudes are the only ones who do any work.

Bear with me.

No, I won't bear with you. I don't bear with pillocks. Nor do I bear with the most punchable of breed of pillocks, that being the perpetually offended cretins.

In short, wrote one complainer, “NOMOS marketing is reinforcing outdated harmful gender stereotypes.”

Gender stereotypes?! This is discrimination! It doesn't mention the species! This outdated anthropocentric concept refers only to humans! This offends me, because I identify as a badger. I am offended, because Nomos doesn't include badgers in their marketing, which reinforces stereotypes harmful to the concept of species equality, and implies the superiority of primates over caniform carnivoran mammals. I demand that Nomos produces a watch specifically for badgers, fitting the average badger paw, with a clasp suitable for being operated with claws, and a crown that makes it easy for a badger to wind and set the movement. All models for badgers have to be lumed, as badgers are nocturnal. Also, watches for wolverines and weasels cannot be released as limited editions only.
How can you, you fucking racist, imply that only human men and women work?! Badgers work too! I've been digging a new hole all fucking night! I worked my paws off! And the badger-lass next burrow was picking the fucking earthworms from sunset! From fucking sunset! You know what this means for nocturnal creatures, you idiot?! We work our fucking paws off!
#caniformrights #justiceforbadgers #badgerswearwatchestoo #stopbadgerphobia #badgersworktoo

As for watch websites it’s a mixed bag. Rolex doesn’t mention gender, just size. Tudor, a lower cost cousin to Rolex, doesn’t mention gender and has embraced Lady Gaga as a brand ambassador. Swatch and Tag Heuer also avoid binary genders.

Because they don't want to waste their time on the likes of you, Mr. Biggs - on thick, ever-offended social justice warriors, who spend their time on intellectual masturbation and the verbal spunk that the resulting letters of complaint are. Oh, and speaking of being offended, as a badger, I'm deeply offended by the fact, that your article fails to mention badgers, you species-discriminating, badgerphobic wanker.

What Nomos can’t afford to do is alienate an entire segment of the population by suggesting only men are “at work.”

They don't alienate an entire segment. Fuckwits like you alienate entire segments of population, notably anyone with grey matter, because whenever you go, your presence lowers the average IQ of the entire population within the radius of ten miles. I wouldn't punch anyone at Nomos, but I would smack your stupid mug with my badger paw any day.

I don’t envy watchmakers. They have to straddle multiple cultural rifts, from planning global advertising campaigns that will go over as well in Dubai as in San Francisco to building and selling analog tech in a digital world. But, as I’ve said before, the industry shoots itself in the foot, if not the gut, on a weekly basis. An insularity that stems from disconnection from the wider world and a focus on fashion creates a frustrating amalgam of ham-handedness and ignorance that makes missteps look even more ridiculous. It’s absolutely Nomos’ right to advertise their watches any way they want. It is not, however, in their best interest.

This piece earns the author the Pooflitzer Prize and a bucket of vaseline for the gheyest thing I've ever fucking read.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby Racer-X » October 25th 2017, 5:28pm

Maybe the article was written to elicit exactly this.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bedlam » October 25th 2017, 5:46pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:Nor do I bear with the most punchable of breed of pillocks, that being the perpetually offended cretins.

You do seem very offended and I admit it would be funny to see you punch yourself.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » October 25th 2017, 6:04pm

bedlam wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:Nor do I bear with the most punchable of breed of pillocks, that being the perpetually offended cretins.

You do seem very offended and I admit it would be funny to see you punch yourself.

Has anyone ever seen a badger punch itself?

I find mocking the social justice warriors (and, for that matter, fanatics of all sorts) a great way to have some laughs.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby iwasbanned » October 25th 2017, 6:34pm

I do think the article is a bit of an overreaction. On the other hand, I work in engineering, and the only other NOMOS I've seen belongs to a female coworker. She loves it, and it looks great on her. Doesn't hurt that she's attractive and super intelligent... Don't tell HR I said that.
iwasbanned
Master of Time

Postby bedlam » October 25th 2017, 7:21pm

Its pretty simple. If gender isn't relevant to the issue at hand, its not logical to be referring to it. If its not logic driving you, then there is every chance there is some kind of judgement or discrimination driving things. That's normal, you have whatever thoughts you have, but they don't need to be said when they are not relevant.

Its the same whether its gender or race. There is no reason for me to be mentioning IWB's Mexicanness when discussing his views on his beautiful GO. If I do there is a fair chance I am being discriminatory, even if I code it as humour.

That shit is tiresome and something most white guys don't have to deal with day in and day out and certainly don't get how boorish it really is. It makes sense that the recipients will become sensitive over time and would want it to stop. There is no way that somehow translates to the problem being that they are 'perpetually offended'.
Last edited by bedlam on October 25th 2017, 7:31pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby bedlam » October 25th 2017, 7:29pm

iwasbanned wrote:I do think the article is a bit of an overreaction.

Perhaps, but given half the planet is female and they are supposedly advertising to all customers, why no women in the ad?

I don't think the ad is a biggie particularly but its part of a consistent pattern and that is the biggie.

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » October 25th 2017, 8:48pm

John Biggs is Robert Gattshall with a stylus instead of a crayon.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby biglove » October 25th 2017, 8:59pm

bedlam wrote:

Perhaps, but given half the planet is female and they are supposedly advertising to all customers, why no women in the ad?

I don't think the ad is a biggie particularly but its part of a consistent pattern and that is the biggie.

More than half the planet’s population is female. Men die younger, more violent deaths and in greater numbers than females. More men vs women die from heart disease before the age of menopause in women. And more women are born than men.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby bedlam » October 25th 2017, 9:21pm

biglove wrote:
bedlam wrote:

More than half the planet’s population is female. Men die younger, more violent deaths and in greater numbers than females. More men vs women die from heart disease before the age of menopause in women. And more women are born than men.

I'm not seeing your point.

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby iwasbanned » October 25th 2017, 9:28pm

bedlam wrote:

I don't disagree with most of what you are saying. Little things do add up and reinforce institutional racism and sexism. In this case though, I don't think they are advertising to see customers:

“inspired in part by repeated requests from male customers to product larger…watches”

Sounds to me like they are targeting men who wanted bigger watches.
iwasbanned
Master of Time

Postby bedlam » October 25th 2017, 9:45pm

iwasbanned wrote:
bedlam wrote:

I don't disagree with most of what you are saying. Little things do add up and reinforce institutional racism and sexism. In this case though, I don't think they are advertising to see customers:

“inspired in part by repeated requests from male customers to product larger…watches”

Sounds to me like they are targeting men who wanted bigger watches.

It's a mistake to make too much out of a single thing like this, especially where there is some ambiguity about the company intent. I was responding more to the pattern of response in some posters to articles like this one.

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby Pubbie » October 26th 2017, 1:09am

Snowflake horseshit!
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bobbee » October 26th 2017, 1:41am

No mas.

Buy a watch you/she/it likes, now fuck off...
"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby Wasp » October 26th 2017, 4:47am

“swears by more old fashion [sic] business practices: coffee, phone calls, and handshakes.”

cordless vibrators sales will go through the roof.
Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist Fake News Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby AJC » October 26th 2017, 6:42am

Carl, I think you're mistaking some of us being offended with us making fun of the article and author. I am in no way offended by this twit and his worthless "article".

It's simply funny to me that people think this way so strongly that they must write an article about it.

I am, however, offended that there are no transgender American Eskimos in their ads. What about the fucking transgender Eskimos?
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Next

Return to Anything and Everything Else