True Grit

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other

True Grit

Postby TemerityB » October 19th 2017, 11:51am

Did anyone else here have a big stack of comic books when you were a kid? My first real hobby, as I recall. Loved DC and Marvel, everything Aquaman to X-Men.

So, figuring someone else is from my era, does anyone remember (or perhaps were actually enticed) by these ads?

When I was nine or 10 years old, $5 sounded like a million dollars. Never did send in the coupon, but I did notice a neighbor kid running around with that Grit bag over his shoulder. Only saw him once, though.

Better yet - did anyone actually see Grit? It was meant as a homespun, folksy small-town publication, always upbeat but about as sexy a read as a phone book. It made stuff like Boy's Life or mags like that look like Penthouse.

So imagine my surprise when, in a Barnes & Noble this past weekend (I was shocked to see an open bookstore), I find this:

Add Sizzling Flavor With Bacon.

I can't imagine Grit in 2017, but there it is.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Re: True Grit

Postby foghorn » October 19th 2017, 12:15pm

I sure do remember Grit ads!! never saw any kids selling them though, but if we did in my neighborhood he , like yours , would have only been seen one time. He would have ended up stuffed in the bag.
I remember an earlier version though because when I was a kid there weren't zip codes.

X-ray glasses were also a big item on that back page.
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby conjurer » October 19th 2017, 12:22pm

I always wanted to order Sea Monkeys, but never did. A friend of mine did, but they arrived DOA.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby foghorn » October 19th 2017, 12:55pm

conjurer wrote:I always wanted to order Sea Monkeys, but never did. A friend of mine did, but they arrived DOA.

So that's why you have a simian aversion!
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby Rusty » October 19th 2017, 4:23pm

I remember the Charles Atlas muscular development ads also. I convinced my father to buy one of those spring sets with handles so you could build muscle quickly. What they didn't tell you was that your chest hair easily got caught in the springs---ouch.
Rusty
Master of Time

Postby Mark1 » October 19th 2017, 4:44pm

The Xray glasses didn't work either.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby codguy » October 19th 2017, 4:57pm

No mention of Bazooka Joe?

Crap, screwed that up.

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby artman » October 19th 2017, 5:59pm

I remember those Grit ads! I did save up for the Joy Buzzer and the Whoppee Cushion but my mom wouldn't let me buy the sea monkeys. She didn't like the looks of em.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » October 19th 2017, 6:13pm

artman wrote:I remember those Grit ads! I did save up for the Joy Buzzer and the Whoppee Cushion but my mom wouldn't let me buy the sea monkeys. She didn't like the looks of em.

That ad brings back some memories! I had 35 cents to my name at the age of, I don't know, 8 or 9, and I sent it away to what I recall was the Johnson Smith Company. I sent away for the "Surprise Package" ("worth much more!" exclaimed the hype) and i couldn't wait to get the package in the mail.

Took like a month, I remember the booty: A #2 pencil and the type of compass you'd get in a gumball machine.

In my little kid mind at the time, I remember that as the first time I ever got ripped off, and it was pretty crushing. Gotta be honest: At the time, I never dreamt that anyone out there would even think of ripping you off.

Such a silly little guy, waiting for the mailman to bring him some incredible treasures for a few cents. But then again, that's how pacerguy feels about every three days as a full-grown old man, so I'm glad i learned my lesson young.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Wasp » October 20th 2017, 5:40am

Could'nt get the Balistic submarine so I tried this. Dad chuckled and I didn't know why. Shortly after my mother found me and smacked the shit out of me with a handful of Metamorpho. These were on the bottom of my large cardboard box (covered with a good bathroom towel naturally). For a fleeting second I wondered why she dug to the bottom. Now I know.

The girly mags I had were in a dry overflow catch basin in a field a half mile away and not in the comic box. They were not even mine. Someone decided to get rid of their collection and down the hatch they went. All were bone dry. Catch basin was huge and never flooded to my knowledge. It had a 4 foot raised concrete structure above grade with a manhole lid on it and all. The first time I looked down there I saw the mother-load of girly mags, hundreds. I climbed down the built in ten foot ladder and was at the end of the rainbow.
Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist Fake News Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bobbee » October 20th 2017, 6:27am

I'm wearing my invisible helmet right now. I have never taken it off since 1966.
"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Return to Anything and Everything Else