This Day in History, September 26..

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other

This Day in History, September 26..

Postby Thunder1 » September 26th 2017, 1:19pm

1864: Rebels begin attack against Fort Davidson, Missouri..Going into the battle, the Confederate military fortunes were at an all-time low, and General Sterling Price had hoped the mission would destabilize Missouri just prior to the fall elections and give new hope to the Confederate cause. He also hoped to capture one of the major cities in Missouri and secure supplies for his troops. However, he failed to achieve these goals.

1944: Operation Market-Garden, a plan to seize bridges in the Dutch town of Arnhem, fails, as thousands of British and Polish troops are killed, wounded, or taken prisoner. British Gen. Bernard Montgomery conceived an operation to take control of bridges that crossed the Rhine River, from the Netherlands into Germany, as a strategy to make “a powerful full-blooded thrust to the heart of Germany.” The plan seemed cursed from the beginning. It was launched on September 17, with parachute troops and gliders landing in Arnhem. Holding out as long as they could, waiting for reinforcements, they were compelled to surrender. Unfortunately, a similar drop of equipment was delayed, and there were errors in locating the proper drop location and bad intelligence on German troop strength. Added to this, bad weather and communication confused the coordination of the Allied troops on the ground.('A Bridge Too Far' is still one of my favorite movies).

1945: First American soldier killed in Vietnam..Lt. Col. Peter Dewey, a U.S. Army officer with the Office of Strategic Services (OSS) in Vietnam, is shot and killed in Saigon. Dewey was the head of a seven-man team sent to Vietnam to search for missing American pilots and to gather information on the situation in the country after the surrender of the Japanese.

1957: West Side Story premieres on Broadway..The re-conception of West Side Story as a tale of love across the divide of two street gangs, one Latin and one white-ethnic, came quickly once the creative principals returned to the project in 1955. With the support of producer Carol Crawford, plans for the show proceeded over the course of two years, but by the spring of 1957, with no financial backers ready to commit to a controversial show in which Act I would end with two principal characters dead as a result of gang violence, Crawford announced she was pulling out of the project. West Side Story seemed to be dead..

1960: Kennedy and Nixon square off in a televised presidential debate..The debate ushered in an era in which television would dominate political campaigns. The immediacy and power of television worked well for candidates who could think on their feet and knew how to play to the audience. At the first of four debates, Kennedy arrived looking well-groomed and confident, while his opponent Nixon, who had just been released from the hospital after two weeks recuperating from a badly injured knee, appeared haggard and was sporting a “5 o’clock shadow” or light beard. Although he arrived in a wrinkled suit and appeared underweight and had a grayish pallor, Nixon refused the assistance of a makeup artist, a decision he likely later regretted. Kennedy clearly “won” the debate, a fact attributable to both his superior comfort level with the new communication medium and his “telegenic” good looks.

2008: Paul Newman dies.. One of the leading movie stars of the 20th century, Paul Newman dies at the age of 83 from cancer at his home in Westport, Connecticut. In a career spanning more than five decades, Newman made over 65 movies, including the classics “Cool Hand Luke,” “Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid,” “The Sting” and “The Verdict.” As reported in The New York Times, Newman’s talent as an actor was drawn from his “physical grace, unassuming intelligence and good humor that made it all seem effortless. (Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is also one of my favorite movies, his salad dressing I can pass on)
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Re: This Day in History, September 26..

Postby conjurer » September 26th 2017, 1:45pm

I like the way you had it formatted before more.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Thunder1 » September 26th 2017, 2:01pm

conjurer wrote:I like the way you had it formatted before more.

Alas, Jaws, given his work experience, may know a thing or two that we don't.. :(
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby jaw » September 26th 2017, 6:07pm

:okk:
Ballbuster upstart you.
Last time I thought the whole paragraph was about the first sentence - Just trying to help.
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » September 26th 2017, 9:56pm

jaw wrote:

:okk:
Ballbuster upstart you.
Last time I thought the whole paragraph was about the first sentence - Just trying to help.

:ber:
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to Anything and Everything Else