Some Airplane Photos

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other

Some Airplane Photos

Postby Mark1 » September 24th 2017, 7:27pm

Some folks asked me to post a few shots from the Oregon International Airshow this weekend. So in no particular order, some may recognize some of these new and old timers. I enjoy seeing both. A WWII era radial engine to the newest Raptor and some more in between, there was a little bit of everything.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member

Re: Some Airplane Photos

Postby artman » September 24th 2017, 7:35pm

Awesome photos Mark. Looks like it was a great day. Thanks for sharing.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » September 24th 2017, 7:40pm

Not only did the missus and I enjoy this photo selection like all get-out, we have to ask: What do you shoot with? Absolutely spectacular.

Thanks SO much. Really great by any standard.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » September 24th 2017, 7:46pm

Dang. Fuck.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mark1 » September 24th 2017, 7:49pm

Thanks guys. TB-the camera body is an old Canon EOS T3, lens used is also a Canon, EF 100-400mm telephoto zoom.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby Racer-X » September 24th 2017, 7:54pm

Fantastic pics Mark, looks like you know your gear. My pics from a local airshow using my iPhone 4 at the time, were terrible.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » September 24th 2017, 8:02pm

Mark1 wrote:Thanks guys. TB-the camera body is an old Canon EOS T3, lens used is also a Canon, EF 100-400mm telephoto zoom.

As the small fry say: Mad skills, bro.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby biglove » September 24th 2017, 8:07pm

Fantastic photos!
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby gerdson » September 24th 2017, 8:52pm

Thanks!
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer

Well, you see, the hole thing began with peyote...
gerdson
Master of Time

Postby jaw » September 24th 2017, 8:56pm

Man those are some great photos Mark.
Been to many an airshow but never got any shots this good.
Curious, what are you shooting with?

jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby Mark1 » September 24th 2017, 9:41pm

jaw wrote:Man those are some great photos Mark.

Canon T3 with Canon EF 100-400mm telephoto lens. Some of the pictures I took today with the bright sun have some kind of weird 50's sci-fi special effects look to them. When I went on Saturday there was a high overcast which is actually better I think for taking pictures. Today, it was harder for the autofocus to pick up the aircraft as they came into range, it was due to glare off the shiny parts I think. All of the pictures are completely untouched.
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby Mortuus » September 24th 2017, 9:48pm

What, no A-7's? DAYUM! Oh well, that's okay; the U in SLUFF did stand for "Ugly," after all. Still, you DID start with the USN F/A-18C/D Hornet, in which I was able to amass just over 3000 hours without becoming a "Lawn Dart." (I came pretty close a few times, truth to tell... ;) )

I have to join everyone else here and praise your awesome -- even consummate -- photographic skills. The details you captured were simply amazing; I could almost smell the JP5 and sweaty aramid suit! Well damned DONE!

One of Olde Morte's Olde Outfitte's,
VFA-195 DAMBUSTERS; shot was taken off the coast
of Japan, sometime after Dessert Storm...yum!

Gunter. Globen. Glaussen. Glieben.
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mark1 » September 24th 2017, 10:11pm

Mortuus wrote:What, no A-7's? DAYUM! Oh well, that's okay; the U in SLUFF did stand for "Ugly," after all. Still, you DID start with the USN F/A-18C/D Hornet, in which I was able to amass just over 3000 hours without becoming a "Lawn Dart." (I came pretty close a few times, truth to tell... ;) )

I have to join everyone else here and praise your awesome -- even consummate -- photographic skills. The details you captured were simply amazing; I could almost smell the JP5 and sweaty aramid suit! Well damned DONE!

No Corsairs, unfortunately. I saw an occasional Corsair arrive at the Eglin AFB transient aircraft ramp back in the mid 80's, (mostly ANG stuff then, with the external pylons for golf clubs and what not). I did have some A4 pics which I though maybe you logged some time in back in the day. The dude in the rear seat of the A4 is a retired Rear Admiral who commanded the Blue Angels when they flew the Skyhawk. I have some hours in the Skyhawk but they are in the decidedly less exciting Cessna C-172 variety.
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby jaw » September 24th 2017, 11:36pm

Mark1 wrote:
jaw wrote:Man those are some great photos Mark.

Canon T3 with Canon EF 100-400mm telephoto lens. Some of the pictures I took today with the bright sun have some kind of weird 50's sci-fi special effects look to them. When I went on Saturday there was a high overcast which is actually better I think for taking pictures. Today, it was harder for the autofocus to pick up the aircraft as they came into range, it was due to glare off the shiny parts I think. All of the pictures are completely untouched.

How bout that. I was thinking more like Canon 5D + 600mm.
Proof that it's has more to do with the shooter than the rig.
Good stuff - Thanks.
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby SynMike » September 25th 2017, 1:13am

Great photos!

That's the airshow in Hillsboro, right? My company used to own a factory that backed onto the field. I was visiting there one year during the airshow. Sitting in the back parking lot provided a perfect view. It's a great show.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and you'll have his shoes.
SynMike
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Wasp » September 25th 2017, 4:25am

...Zoom Zoom..... this country makes phenomenal aircraft. Your pictures are superb. Nice share .

Cheers!
Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist Fake News Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby codguy » September 25th 2017, 4:59am

Excellent pics Mark! They rival ones you took at the Columbia Cup.

Ah yes, the two seat TA-4J Skyhawk, used to train/refresh Naval Aviators for some 40 years!
The single seat A-4 was the attack aircraft embarked on my first cruise!

If I look hard enough, I can probably find that picture of that Blue Angel A-4 zorching across the Fallon desert directly at us and over our heads some 35-40 feet above terrafirma.

Need to make it to Hillsboro for this event some day! Thanks for sharing.

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby biglove » September 25th 2017, 5:25am

3,000 hours in the Hornet? Dang, Mort. I thought those were just your part-time gig. How many total hours do you have?

Again, Mark, fantastic shots. Next show I am going to have to try to come close with my 70-200 2.8 EF. Won’t be nearly that good but am encouraged.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Mortuus » September 25th 2017, 6:05am

Mark1 wrote:
Mortuus wrote:What, no A-7's? DAYUM! Oh well, that's okay; the U in SLUFF did stand for "Ugly," after all. Still, you DID start with the USN F/A-18C/D Hornet, in which I was able to amass just over 3000 hours without becoming a "Lawn Dart." (I came pretty close a few times, truth to tell... ;) )

No Corsairs, unfortunately. I saw an occasional Corsair arrive at the Eglin AFB transient aircraft ramp back in the mid 80's, (mostly ANG stuff then, with the external pylons for golf clubs and what not). I did have some A4 pics which I though maybe you logged some time in back in the day. The dude in the rear seat of the A4 is a retired Rear Admiral who commanded the Blue Angels when they flew the Skyhawk. I have some hours in the Skyhawk but they are in the decidedly less exciting Cessna C-172 variety.

I did in fact have some very memorable hours in the TA-4, which made me rather wistful, having grown up wanting to be a Skyhawk Scooter or a Phantom Phlyer...still, I didn't do too bad for myself...

Gunter. Globen. Glaussen. Glieben.
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to Anything and Everything Else