Sepsis Awareness Month

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other

Sepsis Awareness Month

Postby koimaster » September 18th 2017, 4:41pm

As a survivor of Septic Shock back in 2014 and both the long term and short term effects it has including memory issues, renal damage and eyesight damage, I felt it was important to make folks aware of this.

Every 2 minutes someone dies from sepsis in the U.S. – that’s more than from prostate cancer, breast cancer and AIDS combined.

http://www.sepsis.org/sepsisawarenessmonth/

https://www.cdc.gov/sepsis/index.html

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Sepsis Awareness Month

Postby biglove » September 18th 2017, 4:46pm

See it every single day. People don't realize how quickly a simple infection can cause systemic collapse.

Glad you survived, Alain. Many don't.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Mortuus » September 18th 2017, 4:50pm

Yep, and as a two-time septic-shock sufferer, during my rather long, protracted recovery from my 911 injuries, I can attest to this as something none of you want to go through, BELIEVE ME...and it can happen to ANYONE, irrespective of age or current health...it's some bad trouble.

Gunter. Globen. Glaussen. Glieben.
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby biglove » September 18th 2017, 6:54pm

Yep, Mort has beaten the odds like they owed him money and insulted his dog and wife. And that makes me happy!

Uncomplicated sepsis has ~20% mortality rate. Septic shock takes ~50% of all affected, far more so in the elderly.

Noting to screw about with. Have seen it start with simple things...tooth abscess, ear/sinus infection, a freaking zit.
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Luftwafflles » September 19th 2017, 1:04pm

I had a beloved aunt pass away from this a few years ago. She went in for routine surgery, became septic. Took her over a year to die. I figured being in her eighties didn't help. Does anyone know what causes it? As I understand it, your blood becomes infected (poisoned)? In turn, this causes organ failure. Why do some people get it, and others do not? I was unaware of it until my aunt acquired it. It needs to be mentioned in the media, so people can be made aware. It is some truly scary shit.
We called another exterminator to take care of the rat problem in the basement. This one hasn't come out either.

Luftwafflles
Senior Member & WIS

Postby koimaster » September 19th 2017, 3:31pm

Luftwafflles wrote:I had a beloved aunt pass away from this a few years ago. She went in for routine surgery, became septic. Took her over a year to die. I figured being in her eighties didn't help. Does anyone know what causes it? As I understand it, your blood becomes infected (poisoned)? In turn, this causes organ failure. Why do some people get it, and others do not? I was unaware of it until my aunt acquired it. It needs to be mentioned in the media, so people can be made aware. It is some truly scary shit.

Condolences on the death of your aunt. Carol died of a combination of Lymphoma and Sepsis according to her death certificate.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond ... c-20169787

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby biglove » September 19th 2017, 6:17pm

Sepsis is a systemic response to infection. Think of it as the body's defenses going wrong. You can be septic and still not test positive for bacteremia, which is the presence of bacteria in the bloodstream.

The very young, very old, diabetics, immunocompromised and those with pre-existing illness are more susceptible.

Certain bacteria are more likely to cause the syndrome. Think EColi, Strep, Staph.

Septic shock is when the body's organs systems fail.

Can take days to worsen and sometimes it just abates with IV antibiotics. Other times people go from mild symptoms to dead in hours.

Always scary and way more common than folks realize.
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Return to Anything and Everything Else