Too old for home projects

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other

Too old for home projects

Postby svaglic » September 12th 2017, 9:03am

This house I got is eating my lunch. The back room had four layers of tile and linoleum laid down. The black mastic on the bottom has been a nightmare, it was applied very thickly and it is like tar. I started scraping with a razor blade and realized there was no way I would ever complete the job, so I got 747 at Menards. Man, that stuff is good and got rid of most of it. It just dissolves it quickly and it's cheap, so I am now on my third container of it. Problem is the edges of the room are slanted around 45 degrees and the 747 can't sit on it long enough to dissolve it, it runs down. I got the thick Goof-Off stripper to put on the slants, it removes a little at a time, but it is a PITA to work with, I keep getting it on me and it burns. I mean it burns, not just a a little burn, it feels like it's eating through my skin. Oh, the room that is eating my lunch has this cool paneling. It looks like it's from the 60's and has a tile pattern. Well, the Goof-Off stripper didn't get all the mastic off, but it sure did eat through the bottom part of the paneling. Just dissolved it like butter. So now I will be replacing the paneling.
I've been at it for about a month, cleaning this floor. As the end nears I realized that I am done with projects. Every project I have done on this house has turned out to be a huge mess that uncovers more issues. I don't know if I am too old for this or just tired, but I am no longer into saving money by doing it myself, I am going to start hiring the Amish to do this stuff. In fact, I may let them complete the floor I almost have done and let them pour the epoxy on it. I am tired of burning myself, cutting myself, getting caulk in my hair, bruising myself etc... I've done projects and repairs before, but this is just grinding on me. I've lost my patience, home projects are not fun anymore.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: Too old for home projects

Postby koimaster » September 12th 2017, 9:13am

svaglic wrote:This house I got is eating my lunch. The back room had four layers of tile and linoleum laid down. The black mastic on the bottom has been a nightmare, it was applied very thickly and it is like tar. I started scraping with a razor blade and realized there was no way I would ever complete the job, so I got 747 at Menards. Man, that stuff is good and got rid of most of it. It just dissolves it quickly and it's cheap, so I am now on my third container of it. Problem is the edges of the room are slanted around 45 degrees and the 747 can't sit on it long enough to dissolve it, it runs down. I got the thick Goof-Off stripper to put on the slants, it removes a little at a time, but it is a PITA to work with, I keep getting it on me and it burns. I mean it burns, not just a a little burn, it feels like it's eating through my skin. Oh, the room that is eating my lunch has this cool paneling. It looks like it's from the 60's and has a tile pattern. Well, the Goof-Off stripper didn't get all the mastic off, but it sure did eat through the bottom part of the paneling. Just dissolved it like butter. So now I will be replacing the paneling.
I've been at it for about a month, cleaning this floor. As the end nears I realized that I am done with projects. Every project I have done on this house has turned out to be a huge mess that uncovers more issues. I don't know if I am too old for this or just tired, but I am no longer into saving money by doing it myself, I am going to start hiring the Amish to do this stuff. In fact, I may let them complete the floor I almost have done and let them pour the epoxy on it. I am tired of burning myself, cutting myself, getting caulk in my hair, bruising myself etc... I've done projects and repairs before, but this is just grinding on me. I've lost my patience, home projects are not fun anymore.

Just wait until you get to be my age. :lol: Angies list has good folks and I have used several over the last few years.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby conjurer » September 12th 2017, 9:22am

Yup. Apart from easy plumbing fixes or shit like that, I hire it out now. Let a young guy fall off the ladder, hopefully it'll knock some sense into him.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Thunder1 » September 12th 2017, 10:11am

Agreed...
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby jaw » September 12th 2017, 11:08am

Yep, just pay the man.
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby gerdson » September 12th 2017, 11:42am

The issue with these people is - they never do it right. Or often not at least. Verdammt. But I have practically stopped do-it-Yourself about 15 years ago, and I was still young then.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer

Well, you see, the hole thing began with peyote...
gerdson
Master of Time

Postby Wasp » September 12th 2017, 12:41pm

Had the same issue. I found it easier to bite the bullet and take out the plywood flooring and replace it.
Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist Fake News Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby svaglic » September 12th 2017, 1:17pm

Wasp wrote:Had the same issue. I found it easier to bite the bullet and take out the plywood flooring and replace it.

It's a cement floor, I'm stuck. It would have been easy to put a sheet of linoleum over it, but I want an epoxy or stained cement floor. I'm going to use it as a pool room\sun room. Some idiot put about a quarter inch mastic on it. If I ever get another house with mastic, I'll burn it down and rebuild.
The rest of the house is easy for the floor, I bought driftwood click planks that go right over the existing wooden floor. They have a nice padding built in so if I ever want the original floor it shouldn't be a problem.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Thunder1 » September 12th 2017, 1:19pm

Christ, I plan on retiring in about 5 years... and at that point, I won't have the excuse "I don't have the time, honey!!"..maybe back trouble for guys starts around their retirement age?
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby 3Flushes » September 12th 2017, 1:45pm

I stopped doing tings myself years ago... I got tired of paying the pros I ultimately had to hire three times the price to do the job plus fix the do it myself complications.
Last edited by 3Flushes on September 12th 2017, 4:48pm, edited 1 time in total.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby foghorn » September 12th 2017, 1:54pm

Do it yourselfers are job security for trained professionals.
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby biglove » September 12th 2017, 4:44pm

My wife is fantastic at DIY. Her work on our house we sold in January saved us tens of thousands of $. We still paid pros $15K for a new roof and work that was too much for her skill level.

Considering we spent $15K to get things up to speed and saw an increase in appraisal of $65K in two months, it was worth the cash paid and all her hard work.

But that pretty much did her in.

I am not averse to building basics like a dryer pedestal or even an aquarium stand/hood; but, barring refinishing on furniture I won't even do those things now.

My time is too valuable for manual labor that I don't enjoy just to save cash.

And then their is the issue of injury risk. Yeah, I can patch the roof but if I fall off the ladder and am out of work for six weeks, I lose money out the wazoo. And every year for the last thirty years I have cared for people who have broken arms, legs and even been paralyzed doing upgrades/DIY. Ladders and roofs are not to be trifled with.

Pay the pros, set up a home business of some sort and write it off your taxes.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby AJC » September 12th 2017, 4:48pm

Here to help... I'm only 32, plenty of skin to chemically burn and ladders off which to fall.
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby Racer-X » September 12th 2017, 5:11pm

AJC wrote:...and ladders off which to fall.

Grammar props!
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby AJC » September 13th 2017, 1:36pm

Racer-X wrote:
AJC wrote:...and ladders off which to fall.

Grammar props!

Thank you. If a sentence uses a preposition, that I will never end it on.

Hee...
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Return to Anything and Everything Else