Tribute to Band Of Brothers Major Richard “Dick” Winters

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other

Tribute to Band Of Brothers Major Richard “Dick” Winters

Postby koimaster » September 11th 2017, 11:20am

There are those who merely exist in life, simply going through the motions and completing the average tasks required for another day. Then there are those who look beyond the daily grind, those who prevail through some of this life’s greatest hardships and still make it a point to enjoy life to the fullest, for as long as they can.

The living survivors of the Easy Company unit of the United States Army definitely belong in the latter category.

The veterans of the Easy Company, the second battalion of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division, have become household names after the events of WWII. In fact, their stories were so inspiring that Stephen Ambrose, a historian and author, wrote the book Band of Brothers based on the harrowing events that made up their military careers, which later went on to become the popular HBO miniseries.

With a vast collection of wartime history under their belts, the 101st Airborne Division certainly had reason to be put in the spotlight. Nicknamed the “Screaming Eagles,” this group of heroic soldiers went through a lot of larger-than-life experiences.

After making it through grueling, basic training at Camp Toccoa, Georgia in July 1942, these freedom fighters went on to the beaches of Normandy during American Airborne landings. Their arrival led them into many notable periods of the war effort, such as Operation Market Garden, the Battle of Bastogne, and eventually ending at Hitler’s Eagle Nest, just as the war was coming to a close.

https://m.warhistoryonline.com/world-wa ... nters.html

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Tribute to Band Of Brothers Major Richard “Dick” Winters

Postby hcharles » September 11th 2017, 2:12pm

One of the Band of Brothers was from my hometown in south-eastern North Dakota. His name was Myron Ranney. He was according to my dad and many friends of his, short, tough and wiry.
Major Winters spoke of him on the HBO mini-series. His grandson asked him " Grandpa, were you a hero, no but I served with a company of heroes."
The story of Easy Company is etched into my brain. They really were heroes.
Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine. Abraham lincoln
hcharles
Watchlord WIS

Postby koimaster » September 11th 2017, 2:33pm

hcharles wrote:One of the Band of Brothers was from my hometown in south-eastern North Dakota. His name was Myron Ranney. He was according to my dad and many friends of his, short, tough and wiry.
Major Winters spoke of him on the HBO mini-series. His grandson asked him " Grandpa, were you a hero, no but I served with a company of heroes."

Growing up I read sgt rock and easy company comics. That comic along with Johnny Cloud(native american pilot), gunner,pooch & sarge as well as tank commander jeb stuart and his haunted tank were comics shared among friends.

I still have some in my comic collection.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby conjurer » September 11th 2017, 3:27pm

koimaster wrote:
hcharles wrote:One of the Band of Brothers was from my hometown in south-eastern North Dakota. His name was Myron Ranney. He was according to my dad and many friends of his, short, tough and wiry.

Growing up I read sgt rock and easy company comics. That comic along with Johnny Cloud(native american pilot), gunner,pooch & sarge as well as tank commander jeb stuart and his haunted tank were comics shared among friends.

I still have some in my comic collection.

I read all those WWII comics, too! Alas, all of those are gone. In the 1970's, National Lampoon hired a few of the old artists and came up with this:

Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to Anything and Everything Else