“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Are you lost like me?

Postby Richt2k » September 9th 2017, 4:58am

Is it ironic that I watched this on my phone?
Richt2k
Senior Member & WIS

Postby DocKlock » September 9th 2017, 5:42am

To me, the ending is why our society is in the shape it's it. By that, I mean fairly un-caring, un-emotional, and un-willing to communicate face to face. Just my crappy two-cents worth. Yeh, I know I'm communicating on a type of media.
DocKlock
Senior Member & WIS

Postby codguy » September 9th 2017, 5:49am

I have a cell phone to call with & take calls only, period. Some days I won't even take it with me.

Funny watching people whom pay $100 for a football game only to sit in the stands with face burried in a phone.

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby foghorn » September 9th 2017, 6:03am

I like sitting in a hospital waiting room surrounded by people with their faces buried in their phones, sitting under the "Please-no cell phone use" signs.
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby conjurer » September 9th 2017, 9:52am

codguy wrote:I have a cell phone to call with & take calls only, period. Some days I won't even take it with me.

Funny watching people whom pay $100 for a football game only to sit in the stands with face burried in a phone.

Ditto. I have an cheap-ass flip-phone that I pay far too much a month for; I keep it in my car, only because Mrs. C insists I have one for emergencies. As I'm not really expecting a call from Colin fucking Powell, asking for my opinion on World Peace, I don't keep the phone on--I don't even know if its holding a charge right now. I don't even know what the phone number on the fucking thing is.

I figure that if somebody wants to get ahold of me, they can call my land line--or, as we used to call it, a telephone, and if I'm not in, they can leave a message. If I'm eating a fine dinner, I just enjoy it--I don't feel the need to take pictures of it and put it on the fucking internet. If I see a pretty sunset, I just look at it and enjoy it. It's nothing more than an enjoyable moment in real life, and it's not necessary to document it to a bunch of people I don't really care about, anyway.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby foghorn » September 9th 2017, 10:01am

conjurer wrote:

I figure that if somebody wants to get ahold of me, they can call my land line--or, as we used to call it, a telephone, and if I'm not in, they can leave a message. If I'm eating a fine dinner, I just enjoy it--I don't feel the need to take pictures of it and put it on the fucking internet. If I see a pretty sunset, I just look at it and enjoy it. It's nothing more than an enjoyable moment in real life, and it's not necessary to document it to a bunch of people I don't really care about, anyway.

GET OFF MY LAWN

foghorn
Founding Member

Postby conjurer » September 9th 2017, 10:05am

foghorn wrote:
conjurer wrote:

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp ... NB8oB0BBuk

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby foghorn » September 9th 2017, 10:14am

I do'nt knot no howe to open that art linkletter on my smotfone.
GET OFF MY LAWN

foghorn
Founding Member

Postby Racer-X » September 9th 2017, 11:03am

Accurate and poignant.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Mark1 » September 9th 2017, 11:40am

An old school flip phone here as well. An extra line on a family members phone plan for $10 a month. There is no reception at home and it took several calls and a service appointment to convince Verizon that I have no service. The phone stays plugged in at home to prevent the battery from running down searching for service. The phone only goes with when I am going out of town or flying. Haven't bothered to set up the voicemail, so if I don't call back, that's what we call a clue.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby Tzimisces » September 9th 2017, 11:46am

The world is changing, and today's children rightfully scoff at geezers who don't understand it. Cell phones and social media haven't ruined anything, or changed it for the worse, they've simply changed it. They are here to stay, and whatever they are doing to society is going to snowball over the next few decades.
Imagine the world in 1900, and then in 2000. The immense changes in everything. Now imagine in another 80 yrs.
I marvel at how facility with computers is being hard wired in my grandchildren. Buttons, touch screens, instant video communication...even the one yr old can somewhat work s touchscreen on a phone.
It's an ancient lament: "kids these days..."
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » September 9th 2017, 11:59am

Remember when the Sony Walkman was the work of the devil??
GET OFF MY LAWN

foghorn
Founding Member

Postby Tzimisces » September 9th 2017, 12:32pm

Or my grandmother kicking us out of the house, because kids should play outside on a nice day, not watch creature double feature.
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby WatchDorks.Net » September 9th 2017, 6:58pm

foghorn wrote:I like sitting in a hospital waiting room surrounded by people with their faces buried in their phones, sitting under the "Please-no cell phone use" signs.

Is that even a thing anymore? That seems like a holdover from the 1990s when cellphones (potentially) caused interference. Just like the whole "cellphones will crash jet airplanes" from back in the day.

I was just at the hospital 3 weeks ago for my first colonoscopy (oh the joys of getting old) and there were no signs anywhere referencing cellphone use. In fact, in the recovery room after the procedure, the nurse asked me if I had a cellphone in my belongings that she should get for me while I got over the anesthesia and waited for the results from the physician.

That said, working on a university campus, it's funny watching thousands of students walking to class with noses buried in cellphones, walking into one another, etc. The bigger issue is these dimwits walking out into the middle of streets without ever looking for oncoming traffic because the cellphone is the entire focus of their existence.
Proud "hater" since 2009. Get over it and have fun reassembling yer wartches.

WatchDorks.Net
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » September 9th 2017, 7:40pm

WatchDorks.Net wrote:That said, working on a university campus, it's funny watching thousands of students walking to class with noses buried in cellphones, walking into one another, etc. The bigger issue is these dimwits walking out into the middle of streets without ever looking for oncoming traffic because the cellphone is the entire focus of their existence.

Yup. An interesting side effect of smartphone addiction is the apparent atrophy of the spoken word; I get calls from young folks every day at work who talk like their mouths are full of marbles. Add this to the poor sound of speakerphones because, well, they're too fucking busy playing Yigeoo Go to hold their phones up to their heads, makes it very difficult to understand them.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby biglove » September 9th 2017, 8:42pm

Yeah, modern cell phone output wattage is so low that there is no danger using them in a hospital. Back when the suckers were bricks and pacemakers and/or ICU monitoring equipment was unshielded there was a potential danger.

Now, I'm not going to lay my iPhone on top of my defib/pacer just because there is a VERY slim chance it could interfere but I don't worry about it.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Wasp » September 10th 2017, 6:11am

The bully on the train should be a gang member, thug or Antifa member. A proud Southerner would be the last one on this list exhibiting imminent wanton violence.

Phone free since retirement. In that time I have not needed it one time
Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist Fake News Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Return to Anything and Everything Else