Equifax fucks up...

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other

Equifax fucks up...

Postby biglove » September 7th 2017, 3:09pm

Over 140 million people's SSNs, credit card numbers and more stolen from Equifax credit reporting agency. Sign up to protect yourself free for the next year.

I already subscribe to the service after my employer handed out several thousand employees' salary and ID info last year. And of all things to some schmoe who showed up at corporate HR and asked for it. They gave him a freaking thumb drive with everything on it. Go figure.

https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/
Last edited by biglove on September 7th 2017, 3:40pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Re: Equifax fucks up...

Postby spanky1 » September 7th 2017, 3:18pm

Equifax must be using the same malware protection as the DNC and John Podesta.
spanky1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby tiktok » September 7th 2017, 3:28pm

^^^^...and your girlfriend Vlad is busy buying Jimmy Choos.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby WatchDorks.Net » September 7th 2017, 4:02pm

I smell a fucking scam.

I went to that website and after reading through the initial blahblah, clicked on "Potential Impact" and the page says the following (emphasis mine):

To determine if your personal information may have been impacted by this incident, please follow the below steps:

1. Click on the below link, “Check Potential Impact,” and provide your last name and the last six digits of your Social Security number.

2. Based on that information, you will receive a message indicating whether your personal information may have been impacted by this incident.

3. Regardless of whether your information may have been impacted, we will provide you the option to enroll in TrustedID Premier. You will receive an enrollment date. You should return to this site and follow the “How do I enroll?” instructions below on or after that date to continue the enrollment and activation process. The enrollment period ends on Tuesday, November 21, 2017.

When I followed the above instructions, I got NO message at all either confirming or denying that my information was affected by the breach. Just a message saying that I had been enrolled in TrustedID Premier (note NOT the "option" as stated above), but to return to the site AFTER September 19 to complete the enrollment process.

I am now wondering if this website is actually run by Equifax. Regardless, their instructions and the actual process don't align.

Fuckers. No wonder they got hacked.
Proud "hater" since 2009. Get over it and have fun reassembling yer wartches.

WatchDorks.Net
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » September 7th 2017, 5:42pm

I believe they are simply trying to cope with 140 million potential enrollments. I would imagine it has to be spaced out.

AP has published the CEO interview. Equifax stock took a major hit.

It is, unfortunately, quite real.
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby AJC » September 7th 2017, 6:50pm

Equifax has my credit score at a whopping 185 points lower than the other two agencies. So, fuck em in the nostril with an unsharpened #2 pencil. They don't know what they're doing.
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby Tzimisces » September 8th 2017, 12:32am

This happened at the end of July, and some executives promptly sold stock when they found out.
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Datsun240Z71 » September 8th 2017, 5:05am

WatchDorks.Net wrote:I smell a fucking scam.

I went to that website and after reading through the initial blahblah, clicked on "Potential Impact" and the page says the following (emphasis mine):

To determine if your personal information may have been impacted by this incident, please follow the below steps:

1. Click on the below link, “Check Potential Impact,” and provide your last name and the last six digits of your Social Security number.

2. Based on that information, you will receive a message indicating whether your personal information may have been impacted by this incident.

3. Regardless of whether your information may have been impacted, we will provide you the option to enroll in TrustedID Premier. You will receive an enrollment date. You should return to this site and follow the “How do I enroll?” instructions below on or after that date to continue the enrollment and activation process. The enrollment period ends on Tuesday, November 21, 2017.

When I followed the above instructions, I got NO message at all either confirming or denying that my information was affected by the breach. Just a message saying that I had been enrolled in TrustedID Premier (note NOT the "option" as stated above), but to return to the site AFTER September 19 to complete the enrollment process.

I am now wondering if this website is actually run by Equifax. Regardless, their instructions and the actual process don't align.

Fuckers. No wonder they got hacked.

Mine said to check back and enroll on 9/12/17.
Randy in Nashville
Datsun240Z71
Watchlord WIS

Postby Falstaff » September 8th 2017, 11:23am

Tzimisces wrote:This happened at the end of July, and some executives promptly sold stock when they found out.

Yup. Hope the SEC burns the rat bastards. http://www.marketwatch.com/story/equifa ... 2017-09-07
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby 3Flushes » September 8th 2017, 12:21pm

Falstaff wrote:
Tzimisces wrote:This happened at the end of July, and some executives promptly sold stock when they found out.

Yup. Hope the SEC burns the rat bastards. http://www.marketwatch.com/story/equifa ... 2017-09-07

^^^That

got LifeLock after my identity was stolen 12 years ago and they have caught three attempts to fuck with my info since then and prevented a lot of headaches. In each case they got on the phone with me to the credit bureaus and put fraud notices on my reports and handled the rest of the red tape BS. Why call on the phone or go O/L and give your info to the assholes who got hacked for the information of over half the people in the US?

Highly recommend LL.

PS- I am not a stockholder. :lol:
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Hawk » September 8th 2017, 1:12pm

Lifelock rather bombed out on me. Credit took a hit due to confusion with the ex-wife's debt. Since it wasn't the result of attempted identity theft LL wanted no part of it. Probably reasonable as they don't advertise they are all things to all people. And quitting the service was like taking a beating - couldn't be done online and doing it over the phone reminded me of trying to escape a battalion of starving, amped-up time share salesmen.

My banks have more or less filled the gap by notifying me of any shift on my credit reports most especially any attempt to open an account.

I would tend to agree about not trusting Equifax to safeguard anything now that they have a proven record of fucking such things up. It's like me and paypal - I don't use them for protection as I have needed protection from them when they seized accounts fraudulently. Their excuse was that I suffered from a case of bad timing and was signing up during an attempt by what they believed to be Russian hackers attacking their system. But, like the avatar would suggest, I find "guilty until proven innocent" abhorrent and let slip the attorneys of war.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby biglove » September 8th 2017, 2:50pm

Actually I looked and it is Experian ProtectMyID service I have. Wife, also.

At the moment Equifax is requiring those who sign up to jump through hoops to 1. sign up, 2. opt out of arbitration and remain eligible for class action.

Fuck Equifax.
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » September 9th 2017, 2:01pm

Here are the best two informative articles I've found about this whole FUBAR. Oh, and DO NOT take the Lifelock-like "Protection" that Equifax is offering - it only lasts a year, and it prevents you from taking part in any sort of class action once this all gets sorted out.

There's a lot I could spew about this, but one thing's for sure: Consumer protections are gonna be almost null and void under the current administration, so you gotta be smarter than the non-system to stay above water.

A tip - put a freeze on your credit NOW, and here's how:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/a-guide-to- ... ta-breach/

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/08/your ... o-now.html
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby labman » September 9th 2017, 2:42pm

Equifax's link to check for "potential impact" was working last night, at least it was around 11:30PM when I checked it.

I checked for myself, my wife and my 21 and 19 year old - I got a message that from the information I proved it appears that my info MAY be compromised.

As for the rest of my family - their message was from the information provided it appears that their info has not been compromised.

Depending on interpretation of the Equifax statements either one still leaves open the possibility of compromised or not compromised.

I did end up freezing my credit at all 3 agencies though - just in case.

Let's see where the hell this leads. :scratch:
labman
Watchlord WIS

Postby WatchDorks.Net » September 9th 2017, 6:41pm

So residents in some states are forced to pay fees to initiate a credit freeze, and apparently Illinois is one of them... and that's a fee PER reporting agency.

IMO, Equifax should have to pay these fucking fees.

Incompetent cocksuckers.
Proud "hater" since 2009. Get over it and have fun reassembling yer wartches.

WatchDorks.Net
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Datsun240Z71 » September 10th 2017, 6:04am

TemerityB wrote:Here are the best two informative articles I've found about this whole FUBAR. Oh, and DO NOT take the Lifelock-like "Protection" that Equifax is offering - it only lasts a year, and it prevents you from taking part in any sort of class action once this all gets sorted out.

There's a lot I could spew about this, but one thing's for sure: Consumer protections are gonna be almost null and void under the current administration, so you gotta be smarter than the non-system to stay above water.

A tip - put a freeze on your credit NOW, and here's how:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/a-guide-to- ... ta-breach/

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/08/your ... o-now.html

Thanks for this. will do today!
Randy in Nashville
Datsun240Z71
Watchlord WIS

Return to Anything and Everything Else