Oris Diver 65

Post your watch reviews here

Oris Diver 65

Postby foghorn » December 1st 2015, 11:41am

This is a re-edition of an Oris diver from the 60's . The biggest differences between the original (on right) and the "modern" version are.........um...........er........................NOT much!! Which is good thing.

The case size has been increased from 36 mm to 40 mm. (Thank you Oris for being reasonable and not going overboard with the size. Anything bigger would have affected the look of the classic dial design and you have enough 44mm plus divers in your catalog)

The crystal is sapphire now and not acrylic yet is designed to keep the characteristics of the original domed acrylic.

The date is moved from 3 to 6 and blends in a bit better with the design that in the original model

The fit and finish is indicative of what one would expect from a watch from Oris, which is nice since this one is quite different from their usual offerings. The obvious intent not to stray from the original design is a big plus.

The thin , well marked , and easy to grasp bezel allows for a larger dial and results in a very easy to "read at a glance" watch. The aluminum DLC coated bezel clicks smartly 120 times in the circuitous journey around the case of the triangle surrounded pip. The signed crown is another nod to the days of yore.

I chose the "textile" strap over the "tropical" rubber which IMHO blows.

The cloth like strap is expertly stitched and a bit stiff given it's material but it's softening nicely. There are 2 metal keepers and a matching cloth/nylon/textile/ whatever the hell it is keeper which gives it a pseudo nato look. The model number is also on the inside lending a military flavor.

It's rated at 100 meters which might be a problem for some divers to accept for a watch billed as a dive watch, but there aren't a whole lot of us who will ever go that deep unless we fall overboard.

The caseback is solid as it should be for a watch with a relatively plain Oris modded Sellita SW-200. I find exhibition casebacks unnecessary unless the movement is all dressed up with that cosmetic shit like perlage , cotes de geneve , et-fucking-cetera. Anytime I have shown a movement in action to a non-WIS all I get is a feigned response of interest.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmwqnqL3Hbg[/youtube]

In answer to the next question

In conclusion:

It's a great watch.

I'll close with the rare and doubly overdone sleeve and driving wrist shot

10QBDMuch

This is the jinnies with their legahorns feinting to read in theirhandmade's book of stralegy while making their war undisidesthe Willingdone
foghorn
Founding Member

Re: Oris Diver 65

Postby SaoGage » December 1st 2015, 11:48am

I just love the look of these and the sizing! Perfect! Good on Oris...

Also loving the Kontiki-ish vibe.
SaoGage
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » December 1st 2015, 12:02pm

Thanks for the very fine review, foggy (it certainly took you long enough, goddamn it.) Great pics and werds. A very nice watch.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
Master of Time

Postby foghorn » December 1st 2015, 12:04pm

conjurer wrote:Thanks for the very fine review, foggy (it certainly took you long enough, goddamn it.) Great pics and werds. A very nice watch.

I rote it sew yew woode'nt knot have two see alice.

This is the jinnies with their legahorns feinting to read in theirhandmade's book of stralegy while making their war undisidesthe Willingdone
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby biglove » December 1st 2015, 12:23pm

Nice review and photos.

One I would love to try.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-Robert A. Heinlein
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby foghorn » December 1st 2015, 12:30pm

biglove wrote:
One I would love to try.

No bracelet option :o

foghorn
Founding Member

Postby fatman » December 1st 2015, 1:30pm

Those are both really nice looking watches. The differences you pointed out do make for a well done reissue.
HF
fatman
ASSHAT

Postby artman » December 1st 2015, 2:54pm

Nice review of a cool watch Foggy. Congrats!
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby jaw » December 1st 2015, 6:10pm

I really like that one fog. I've been trying to restrain myself from it for a while now, but the last thing I need is another diver. Love the retro look. Perhaps Oris has a shot at the next James Bond movie with this one. I think it could work.
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby hondaman » December 1st 2015, 6:54pm

My Oris TT1 might be getting a companion. Great looking watch.
hondaman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Wasp » December 2nd 2015, 6:25am

Good photography and review. Enjoyed it much.
Cheers
Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist Fake News Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby jaw » December 19th 2015, 8:03pm

Saw this live at the AD today. Gonna be really hard not to buy this watch.
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby Thunder1 » December 19th 2015, 8:06pm

conjurer wrote:Thanks for the very fine review, foggy (it certainly took you long enough, goddamn it.) Great pics and werds. A very nice watch.

+1
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Mark1 » December 19th 2015, 8:09pm

What's not to like except for maybe the Nato-ish strap? Really, it looks good and comfy. Nicely updated but still true to the original. Congratulations.
Well, welcome to the real world, my delicate little Instagrammed snowflakes. Piers Morgan
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby jaw » December 19th 2015, 8:27pm

Mark1 wrote:What's not to like except for maybe the Nato-ish strap? Really, it looks good and comfy. Nicely updated but still true to the original. Congratulations.

It's double thick and softer than your standard NATO.
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby biglove » May 1st 2016, 6:58am

biglove wrote:Nice review and photos.

One I would love to try.

The blue version has a bracelet and I have the money saved but decided to wait until after our yearly Florida vacation/deep sea fishing trip.

You still loving it?
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-Robert A. Heinlein
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby foghorn » May 1st 2016, 7:59am

Yup-it's the nutz.
But I suspect it will be too "small" for your tastes.

foghorn
Founding Member

Postby biglove » May 1st 2016, 10:16am

foghorn wrote:Yup-it's the nutz.
But I suspect it will be too "small" for your tastes.

Not sure how that would be? At 40mm I would think it would be the sweet spot. The Kontiki I just bought feels a tad large at 42mm.
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » May 1st 2016, 6:07pm

Jeez - how did I miss this thread?? An rare case of a new model actually seeming to improve upon the original one.

Nice one, man. Oris - I still only own one - remains a brand I really respect.
"I don't have pet peeves - I have major psychotic fucking hatreds." – George Carlin
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Return to Reviews