MeisterSinger NEO

Post your watch reviews here

MeisterSinger NEO

Postby elau » December 9th 2013, 9:42pm

For those who has been following me in Time Zone may remember the TT 1931 Reverso was my target for 2013 but work this year leaves me no time to think about watches till I was invited to a Holiday Cheers by my local jeweler for some drinks, food and live music this past Friday night. To my astonishment he is now the authorized dealer for MeisterSinger. A watch I owned years ago and foolishly let go. In fact it was the only watch I ever sold.

So after a couple glasses of Pinot Noir and the lure of a new watch, not to mention I was still jet lag after a long flight just moments ago. The NEO 1Z came home with me that evening.

The MeisterSinger of today have gone quite upscale, both in term of packaging and material yet remains an extremely affordable brand. I guess that is another reason they achieve to stay under the radar for so long and only a handful of people even know of its existence. Which is fine by me.

Let me start with the packaging. They have their own logo bag!!! I remember my first MeisterSinger came in a cardboard box not much better quality then any Seiko JDM watches. The presentation box is in the form of a book!!!

I think it is a rather interesting package.

I guess I can now keep my watch on the bookshelf and no one will ever know.

The watch is sandwiched between two plastic films and gives the illusion of floating in the box.

And to top it off the inner box can be taken out.

It is very difficult to capture the watch with the camera, at least it is for me. But the quality of the built and finish is obvious. The plexi glass is doomed and the design has a bit of the retro look. It may just be because of the dial color.

The NEO comes with a grey alligator strap, gone were the days MeisterSinger only offers the utilitarian leather straps. The NEO comes with two dial colors, the grey which is what I choose and the cream. The cream dial comes with a dark brown alligator and the watch looks a bit more dressier.

The buckle is stamped with MeisterSinger logo.

NEO only comes with solid case back, something I wish they will change in the future.

The strap is also stamped.

I tried to capture the sun burst dial but not doing a very good job.

All in all a very handsome watch.

So I have the NEO on the entire weekend so I get to know the watch, so to speak. The movement is ETA 2824-2 which I found running a bit slow over a 24 hour period. It is very difficult for me to measure exactly how many seconds slow being a one-hand watch. And I am not sure if it is because the watch is new has anything to do with it but I will keep an eye next time I have it on. When I set the time I also noticed the gears are a bit tight but I again contributed as being new and hopefully it will loosen up after awhile. The watch is light as a dressy watch should but it is definitely not one for everyone. First and foremost, a one-hand watch needs some adjusting when reading the dial. Secondly, the NEO measures only 36 mm and in today's standard it is considered small. It works for me because I have a 6 1/4" wrist and I wear as small as 34 mm often time. To me it is refreshing to see a small size watch is still in vogue in midst of "larger the better" fashion statement. I really like the date wheel colored black as my photo above shows. It contrasts with the grey dial very nicely.

MeisterSinger although manufactured in Switzerland, remains a very German watch. One thing obvious is the strap length and you know what I mean if you ever own any German watch. I don't understand why German likes long strap. It bugs the daylight out of me.

Oh, the plexi glass I mentioned earlier. This is the second watch I have that comes with plexi glass and I really like it. It is lighter weight than crystal and any scratches can easily buffed out.

All in all, the NEO Z1 is a good buy for the money. It is merely a little more than your mid-range Seiko or Citizen yet the one-hand makes it a unique watch to look at. Base on my experience with MeisterSinger, the brand is solidly built and the quality is above for what you paid. On a scale of 1 to 10, I give the NEO an 8.

Thank you for reading!!!
elau
Watchlord WIS

Re: MeisterSinger NEO

Postby biglove » December 9th 2013, 9:52pm

Nice review. I have to have a second hand and don't think I could ever get used to the single hand but still an attractive watch.

Congrats!
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-Robert A. Heinlein
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Horse Feathers » December 9th 2013, 10:01pm

I like the packaging

Enjoy your new watch

"I did lose a pusher pulling it out of the mug however
it doesn't affect functionality"

- JR of Reclinervision ™
Horse Feathers
ASSHAT

Postby elau » December 9th 2013, 10:15pm

Thank you Big Love. One-hand watch is absolutely takes some getting used to.
elau
Watchlord WIS

Postby elau » December 9th 2013, 10:15pm

Thank you HF.
elau
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » December 10th 2013, 12:04am

Goddamn it, elau, that's the first time I've seen you get excited about anything.

I like the watch, goddamn it. It's the ultimate WASP watch; it's meant for somebody who can afford to be a few minutes late and not give a shit. It gives me a large, ropey boner.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT

Postby elau » December 10th 2013, 12:23am

Thank you Conjurer. Glad to hear you had a boner.
elau
Watchlord WIS

Postby codguy » December 10th 2013, 5:36am

That's a keeper!

The truly nice thing about integrated strap/bracelet watches..... it prevents someone from fucking them up with a gay NATO strap.
codguy
ASSHAT

Postby elau » December 10th 2013, 7:48am

Thank you Codguy.
elau
Watchlord WIS

Postby AJC » December 10th 2013, 9:32am

Nice! I love bauhaus styling. Does the gray dial have a brownish hue to it or is that just the camera?
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby elau » December 10th 2013, 2:13pm

Andrew, when the light hits the dial just right it does give off that brownish hue. Another reason I choose this dial instead of the cream color. After been on this site for some time now and let me tell you it was hard to willingly pay for a ETA 2824-2, but fortunately the MSRP for the NEO is not too bad and the dealer gave me a discount. The only known MeisterSinger dealer was WatchBuy and they don't discount their watches but you do save on Sales Tax. So I guess it was a wash at the end of the day. I am happy with the purchase nonetheless.
elau
Watchlord WIS

Postby iwasbanned » December 10th 2013, 3:17pm

That's a beauty, when you tire of it and want to sell it at a good discount let me know.
iwasbanned
Senior Member & WIS

Postby elau » December 10th 2013, 4:02pm

Thank you iwasbanned. I will keep that in mind.
elau
Watchlord WIS

Postby Ofcmark » December 10th 2013, 4:07pm

Nice watch love the book box what a great idea.
Ofcmark
Watchlord WIS

Return to Reviews