Orkina Orange Diver style watch...

Post your watch reviews here

Orkina Orange Diver style watch...

Postby biglove » October 30th 2013, 12:48pm

Thought I would at least try the Orkina brand, off of eBay, a couple of months back. Wasn't expecting much for under $19 USD, shipped from China, and received far worse than what I had hoped for.

This is not going to be so much of a review as a Buyer Beware!

Link to actual purchase:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360637428053?var=630109472588&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

The seller, joviviusa, touts the watch as "ORKINA 43mm Diving Style Sport Date Quartz Noctilucent Analogue Wrist Watch" and claims a 3ATM water resistance although at this price I would never temp the watch gods with even a splash in its general direction.

Watch, as expected, is cheap. Quartz movement seems fine; however, it is a Chinese knockoff of a Japanese movement and this is one UGLY movement, even for a quartz. Looks like something off a Russian made transistor radio, circa 1960's.

Watch face was crooked in the case on arrival and no amount of messing with it could fix. The bezel wiggles like a fat man on a treadmill and didn't align with the 12 o'clock marker no matter what I did.

And the bracelet, well, I went with metal in the hopes of avoiding the usual horrific leather bands offered on these types of watches. Should have gone with the leather. Link adjustment was impossible...parts so tightly jammed together as to keep me from removing a link at all. And sharp edges galore. The clasp was spooky sharp!

Not to mention the dented metal cover on the bezel, the fact that the bezel itself actually has a thin metallic sticker, that was scratched, on it instead of actual bezel work in the metal. And a cheap, plastic crystal to boot.

As I said, I wasn't expecting much but this thing is an utter POS. Did save the case and the quartz movement in case I get a hankering to try to make some monster of my own with it. At least I didn't even waste a full $20 on it.

Oh, and the "warranty?" Sure, pay to ship it back to China, at my cost, so they can "evaluate with (their) supplier.". Riiiight...

Image
Image
Image
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
Image
User avatar
biglove
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 10215
Joined: October 27th 2013, 9:18am
Location: Deep South

Re: Orkina Orange Diver style watch...

Postby conjurer » October 30th 2013, 1:56pm

How's the lume?
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

Image
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 24497
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm

Re: Orkina Orange Diver style watch...

Postby biglove » October 30th 2013, 2:54pm

conjurer wrote:How's the lume?


Buahahahahaha!!!!

Let's just say it is right up there with the backside of the moon. Except for the pip on the bezel...at least that can be seen after exposure to an intense bright light. Well, for five minutes or so!
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
Image
User avatar
biglove
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 10215
Joined: October 27th 2013, 9:18am
Location: Deep South

Re: Orkina Orange Diver style watch...

Postby jb182 » October 30th 2013, 4:09pm

Sounds to me like you got a $19 watch for $19.
User avatar
jb182
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 881
Joined: April 22nd 2011, 10:00pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Re: Orkina Orange Diver style watch...

Postby bedlam » October 30th 2013, 4:55pm

The worst thing is how much it reminds me of an orange bezeled PO...talk about ugly :twisted: :lol:
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
User avatar
bedlam
Master of Time
 
Posts: 6943
Joined: November 12th 2011, 11:00pm
Location: Fremantle, Australia (GMT +8)

Re: Orkina Orange Diver style watch...

Postby Horse Feathers » October 30th 2013, 5:02pm

bedlam wrote:The worst thing is how much it reminds me of an orange bezeled Orient PO homage ...talk about ugly :twisted: :lol:


Stepped it up a bit :lol:
Last edited by Horse Feathers on October 30th 2013, 5:23pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

"I did lose a pusher pulling it out of the mug however
it doesn't affect functionality"

- JR of Reclinervision ™
User avatar
Horse Feathers
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 9282
Joined: August 29th 2010, 10:00pm

Re: Orkina Orange Diver style watch...

Postby biglove » October 30th 2013, 5:19pm

Its a homage to something, manufactured by some poor Chinese bastard making $0.20/day that was eating too much fermented rice pudding.

Next time I want to splurge on a cheap watch, I will go with a Timex or Casio digital. BTW, I HATE digital watches...not that there is anything wrong with them...
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
Image
User avatar
biglove
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 10215
Joined: October 27th 2013, 9:18am
Location: Deep South

Re: Orkina Orange Diver style watch...

Postby abduksion » October 30th 2013, 6:45pm

I'm actually glad someone took the time to do a review like this. For $20 may I recommend these?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Timex-Men-s-O ... h/10788730

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Casio-Men-s-A ... n/17403596

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Casio-Analog-Watch/3164001

You get the idea. :D
I've never felt like I truly belonged here and I believe it's time I move on.
User avatar
abduksion
Senior Member
 
Posts: 7183
Joined: May 20th 2011, 10:00pm

Re: Orkina Orange Diver style watch...

Postby biglove » October 30th 2013, 11:26pm

abduksion wrote:I'm actually glad someone took the time to do a review like this. For $20 may I recommend these?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Casio-Men-s-A ... n/17403596
You get the idea. :D


Actually bought one of these from LIW in order to get free shipping on a Orient Devario. Actually a nice little watch!
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
Image
User avatar
biglove
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 10215
Joined: October 27th 2013, 9:18am
Location: Deep South

Re: Orkina Orange Diver style watch...

Postby abduksion » October 30th 2013, 11:38pm

biglove wrote:
abduksion wrote:I'm actually glad someone took the time to do a review like this. For $20 may I recommend these?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Casio-Men-s-A ... n/17403596
You get the idea. :D


Actually bought one of these from LIW in order to get free shipping on a Orient Devario. Actually a nice little watch!


I looked at buying that one has well, they need to bump the wr's to 200m at least.
I've never felt like I truly belonged here and I believe it's time I move on.
User avatar
abduksion
Senior Member
 
Posts: 7183
Joined: May 20th 2011, 10:00pm

Re: Orkina Orange Diver style watch...

Postby Horse Feathers » October 31st 2013, 12:09am

abduksion wrote:
biglove wrote:
abduksion wrote:I'm actually glad someone took the time to do a review like this. For $20 may I recommend these?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Casio-Men-s-A ... n/17403596
You get the idea. :D


Actually bought one of these from LIW in order to get free shipping on a Orient Devario. Actually a nice little watch!


I looked at buying that one has well, they need to bump the wr's to 200m at least.


So your dives exceed 100M ?
Image

"I did lose a pusher pulling it out of the mug however
it doesn't affect functionality"

- JR of Reclinervision ™
User avatar
Horse Feathers
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 9282
Joined: August 29th 2010, 10:00pm

Re: Orkina Orange Diver style watch...

Postby abduksion » October 31st 2013, 12:22am

Horse Feathers wrote:
abduksion wrote:
biglove wrote:
abduksion wrote:I'm actually glad someone took the time to do a review like this. For $20 may I recommend these?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Casio-Men-s-A ... n/17403596
You get the idea. :D


Actually bought one of these from LIW in order to get free shipping on a Orient Devario. Actually a nice little watch!


I looked at buying that one has well, they need to bump the wr's to 200m at least.


So your dives exceed 100M ?


I'm assuming this is quoted towards me? If so yeah I don't see a true diver being 100m. To me it has to be that 200m and higher to be considered a diver.
I've never felt like I truly belonged here and I believe it's time I move on.
User avatar
abduksion
Senior Member
 
Posts: 7183
Joined: May 20th 2011, 10:00pm

Re: Orkina Orange Diver style watch...

Postby biglove » October 31st 2013, 2:01am

I don't dive but I sure feel better in the shower, lake, Gulf or pool with a 200m. Wore a Luminox Titanium diver for 10+ years and only took it off for sleep. Survived hot tubs, hot showers, warm and cold Gulf waters.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
Image
User avatar
biglove
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 10215
Joined: October 27th 2013, 9:18am
Location: Deep South

Re: Orkina Orange Diver style watch...

Postby codguy » October 31st 2013, 5:11am

biglove wrote:Its a homage to something


Image
.

Image
User avatar
codguy
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 5003
Joined: June 9th 2011, 10:00pm

Re: Orkina Orange Diver style watch...

Postby Horse Feathers » October 31st 2013, 8:26am

biglove wrote:I don't dive but I sure feel better in the shower, lake, Gulf or pool with a 200m. Wore a Luminox Titanium diver for 10+ years and only took it off for sleep. Survived hot tubs, hot showers, warm and cold Gulf waters.


Don't need to explain, neither does 99% of the population that buys Dive Watches including myself.

When I hear that someone won't buy a watch for $20 because it's not a "true" diver (only goes to 100m or over 300 feet) I have to laugh. Most of us pay extra for a WR rating we'll never use because it implies an extra degree of robustness in design and assembly that we'll never test. Nothing wrong with that, but don't knock a $20 watch that can do all the things you mention above for.... BTW did I mention it was only $20
Image

"I did lose a pusher pulling it out of the mug however
it doesn't affect functionality"

- JR of Reclinervision ™
User avatar
Horse Feathers
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 9282
Joined: August 29th 2010, 10:00pm

Re: Orkina Orange Diver style watch...

Postby biglove » October 31st 2013, 9:05am

codguy wrote:
biglove wrote:Its a homage to something


Image


Oh, don't I know it and WISH for the real thing! On S/S though.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
Image
User avatar
biglove
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 10215
Joined: October 27th 2013, 9:18am
Location: Deep South

Re: Orkina Orange Diver style watch...

Postby abduksion » October 31st 2013, 12:05pm

Horse Feathers wrote:
biglove wrote:I don't dive but I sure feel better in the shower, lake, Gulf or pool with a 200m. Wore a Luminox Titanium diver for 10+ years and only took it off for sleep. Survived hot tubs, hot showers, warm and cold Gulf waters.


Don't need to explain, neither does 99% of the population that buys Dive Watches including myself.

When I hear that someone won't buy a watch for $20 because it's not a "true" diver (only goes to 100m or over 300 feet) I have to laugh. Most of us pay extra for a WR rating we'll never use because it implies an extra degree of robustness in design and assembly that we'll never test. Nothing wrong with that, but don't knock a $20 watch that can do all the things you mention above for.... BTW did I mention it was only $20


:lol: :lol: :lol: I do like the Seiko 5 Fathoms so I'll make an exception.
I've never felt like I truly belonged here and I believe it's time I move on.
User avatar
abduksion
Senior Member
 
Posts: 7183
Joined: May 20th 2011, 10:00pm


Return to Reviews

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest