My New Pre-Loved Orient Bambino Review

Post your watch reviews here

My New Pre-Loved Orient Bambino Review

Postby MAX » June 15th 2013, 6:50am

I have always been interested in this watch and since Orient seems to be so well loved that when a preloved specimen became available I decided to go for it.

As you can see, the case, hands and applied markers are rose gold and the dial is a not quite flat black.  The dial is very retro, flat and raised in the center with the sides dropping down.  The black lettered date on a white background encased in a square marking is very easy to read and doesnt look out of place.  I would have prefered no date but the watches this one is paying homage to all had one as I remember. Having had a real rose gold watch at one time I find the color on this one to be a bit on the copper/bronze side but this is not a bad thing given todays love for bronze cases..

The watch is quite thin for an automatic and has a domed, mineral crystal that brings it to a still acceptable 11.8mm to fit well under a shirt sleeve.  The 5.5mm push-pull crown is signed with the Orient logo.  The automatic movement used in this watch is the made in house in Japan Orient cal.48743.  It is non winding and non hacking.  Specs are for +25-10 seconds but mine has been running better than COSC specs at +/- 1 second for a week now!!!!!!
People have complained about the rotor being a little noisy and they are right.  You can hear it but not to an annoying level and I like it.

The back is a little plain but is solid SS, screw in and nicely finished.

The signed, rose gold buckle compliments the watch nicely.  The genuine leather, 21mm crocodile patterned strap looks nice but is a little stiff initially.  Mine seems to be breaking in nicely and probably wont have to be replaced.

The watch is nicely proportioned and fits my 6 1/2 inch wrist nicely while looking larger than its 40 mm without the crown.  Lug to lug measures 46mm so there is no overhang problem. It has NO lume and only 30 meters of water resistance but on a dress watch I dont find this a problem.

All in all, I find the Orient Bambino to be a very comfortable watch to wear, a great value for the money with great fit and finish.  It also comes in a silver case with a white dial model.   It imitates the expensive watches of the 50s and 60s and does a great great job of it.
"If You Think This Has A Happy Ending, You Haven't Been Paying Attention."
MAX
Founding Member

Re: My New Pre-Loved Orient Bambino Review

Postby 3Flushes » June 15th 2013, 11:04am

Nice review of a great looking watch. It's interesting how they do the dials. I believe, as you note in your write up, that the raised center design began in the late 50's early 60's. The pie pan design allows more room for components of the movement under and around the center of the case, allowing the watch to be thinner.

Nice addition to the 'ol collection.
Last edited by 3Flushes on September 27th 2013, 5:44pm, edited 1 time in total.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby JAS1125 » June 15th 2013, 1:08pm

Nice review Max and pics too....the Bambino has been on the radar for some time.....torn between the black dial or silver/white in stainless.
The Symphony is very similar and a bit less expensive, but I like the retro styling of the Bambino better.
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Postby jason_recliner » June 15th 2013, 3:40pm

That's a really nice looking watch, and great value. Thanks for the write-up.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Postby WatchDorks.Net » June 15th 2013, 3:48pm

Since John is apparently asleep at the switch, I'll chime in with "Beautiful watch, goddam it!"
Proud "hater" since 2009. Get over it and have fun reassembling yer wartches.

WatchDorks.Net
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bedlam » June 15th 2013, 4:13pm

Really nice...and for not much money. Having a look around at prices these are a bargain Image
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby Airframer » June 15th 2013, 4:45pm

That's one fine looking watch, right thar!
Airframer
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » June 15th 2013, 7:14pm

A very nice Orient, Max (goddamn it.)  As much as I like that one--and there's a lot to like about it, it certainly created a lot of waves at the Affordables & Orient sub-fora at WUS--it still bothers me that Orient USA called this one the "Bambino."  Where they came up with that silly fucking name is beyond me.

However, a great write-up with great pics.  Well done!
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby MAX » June 16th 2013, 5:07am

3flushes-

That makes sense about the dial.  It looks like an inverted pie pan so more room for movement in the center.  Im not sure it was necessary for this watch for the space but probably used more for the look.  The Symphony I think is the same watch but with a different crystal and flat dial.

John-

I know!!!  WTF were they thinking?  Oh yeah, lets give this Japanese watch an Italian name.  Makes perfect sense.  Even my most illogical Cousin did a double take at that one.

Maybe it means something else in Japanese????? Image

Happily it appears no where else on the watch, box or papers or it could have been a deal breaker.

Thanks everybody for the comments.
MAX
Founding Member

Postby hcharles » June 16th 2013, 12:55pm

MAXg wear that bad boy in good health.  The bambino will still be in style 20 years from now.
Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine. Abraham lincoln
hcharles
Watchlord WIS

Postby Mortuus » June 16th 2013, 3:01pm

That's a real beauty, Max, and you write an excellent, skilled review.  Not sure about Orient, but the Omega's with the same dial are referred to "pie tin" dials.  At any rate, I really enjoyed your review and the superb looking watch.

Gunter. Globen. Glaussen. Glieben.
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby abduksion » September 27th 2013, 5:03pm

Thanks for the review I thought about getting this one, but now I'm not so sure?
I've never felt like I truly belonged here and I believe it's time I move on.
abduksion

Postby biglove » October 30th 2013, 9:56am

Nice review and pics.

Have to admit that I fear any watch with gold coating. Am far to hard on my watches to buy any with it. Except for the one Seiko 5 I only wear as a dress watch that is two tone.

Have owned a Rolex in the past that was 14K and anything not real gold kind of looks fakish. Hell, even 14K looks a bit pale vs 18K.

If you ever tire of this one, you can send it to me and I will let you know how durable that gold plating is though!
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby MAX » October 31st 2013, 6:24am

Thanks again, all.

biglove-

Dont expect the plating to be a problem but I can tell you that in the sun it does look a LOT more like copper than gold as I mentioned before.

Still enjoying wearing this but it would get much more wrist time if it were a SS case. Looks good peeking out from under a shirt cuff though.
MAX
Founding Member

Postby biglove » October 31st 2013, 9:01am

MAXg wrote:Thanks again, all.

biglove-

Dont expect the plating to be a problem but I can tell you that in the sun it does look a LOT more like copper than gold as I mentioned before.

Still enjoying wearing this but it would get much more wrist time if it were a SS case. Looks good peeking out from under a shirt cuff though.

I have switched my rings, one necklace I wear and all, except one, watch over to S/S or silver/tungsten. Doing the same with the wife's jewelry. To me, S/S or the other metals looks "cleaner?"

I do love copper tones though. Just not with my skin tone since it runs a bit reddish.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Return to Reviews