Thoughts on a Breitling

Post your watch reviews here

Thoughts on a Breitling

Postby Bkc97 » May 9th 2013, 4:45pm

I want to share this one with Watchlords, my Breitling B-1, along with my experiences with the brand.

I bought this in 1999 from an AD in Pittsburgh PA. I was impressed with the functionality of the piece- chronograph functions, multiple time zones, multiple alarms, to name a few. I was traveling internationally at that time, and I thought this would be a good choice.

Case diameter is 44mm; the bracelet is 22mm tapering to 18.
The various modes are selected via the crown and pushers. The backlit display is activated by pushing in the crown, and they appear as a gold color in daylight.
The hands and markers are nicely lumed and good for all night after a charge in sunlight or a black light.

The case back is quite unique and consists of baffles that amplify the alarm. It's been loud enough to wake me after some fairly eventful nights.

I'm not sure if Breitling still does this, but for a few years after the purchase they'd send chocolates at Christmas, and also sent catalogs, a ballcap, and an airplane model at various times.

Battery life has been 5-6 years and cost $150 by the Breitling Service center.

This was a daily wearer until 2010, and in rotation after that. In 2012, it began to lose time. I returned it to the AD for a overhaul and they gave me a quote several days later- $550. They sent it to Breitling.

I was really surprised at what Breitling did. They replaced the hands, the dial, and the movement. This new movement is COSC certified. The dial has much better Lume than the original. The bracelet came back flawless. It's basically a new watch.

I would not hesitate to purchase another Breitling and hope to do so soon.

Here's some pics:

Bkc97
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Thoughts on a Breitling

Postby jason_recliner » May 9th 2013, 4:48pm

Ballcap?
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Postby Bkc97 » May 9th 2013, 4:55pm

Yes, a Breitling ballcap...baseball cap...A baseball cap with a Breitling logo on it...
Bkc97
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Bkc97 » May 9th 2013, 5:02pm

Bkc97
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Horse Feathers » May 9th 2013, 6:07pm

Case back the I like really

"I did lose a pusher pulling it out of the mug however
it doesn't affect functionality"

- JR of Reclinervision ™
Horse Feathers
ASSHAT

Postby Bkc97 » May 9th 2013, 6:18pm

Yoda?
Bkc97
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Don Barzini » May 9th 2013, 9:49pm

Bkc97 wrote:I want to share this one with Watchlords, my Breitling B-1, along with my experiences with the brand.

I bought this in 1999 from an AD in Pittsburgh PA. I was impressed with the functionality of the piece- chronograph functions, multiple time zones, multiple alarms, to name a few. I was traveling internationally at that time, and I thought this would be a good choice.

Case diameter is 44mm; the bracelet is 22mm tapering to 18.
The various modes are selected via the crown and pushers. The backlit display is activated by pushing in the crown, and they appear as a gold color in daylight.
The hands and markers are nicely lumed and good for all night after a charge in sunlight or a black light.

The case back is quite unique and consists of baffles that amplify the alarm. It's been loud enough to wake me after some fairly eventful nights.

I'm not sure if Breitling still does this, but for a few years after the purchase they'd send chocolates at Christmas, and also sent catalogs, a ballcap, and an airplane model at various times.

Battery life has been 5-6 years and cost $150 by the Breitling Service center.

This was a daily wearer until 2010, and in rotation after that. In 2012, it began to lose time. I returned it to the AD for a overhaul and they gave me a quote several days later- $550. They sent it to Breitling.

I was really surprised at what Breitling did. They replaced the hands, the dial, and the movement. This new movement is COSC certified. The dial has much better Lume than the original. The bracelet came back flawless. It's basically a new watch.

I would not hesitate to purchase another Breitling and hope to do so soon.

The turbine fan blade case back is still in use on its replacement - the Airwolf. Your B1 originally had a Breitling 68 movement, an ETA E20.331. In 2002 Breitling switched to the B 78 movement, a thermocompensated movement (Superquartz), the ETA Thermoline E20.341. This allowed for greater accuracy and better certification as a Chronometer. The reason you received and upgraded COSC movement is the ETA E20.331 went out of production, but Breitling continues to support the watches manufactured with that movement with the upgraded thermocompensated chronometer movement.

Breitling also considers all hands "single use," so any work that requires the movement to be removed per se requires new hands - at a cost, but there isn't anything unique about that - most brands would do the same thing. While the hands can in fact be used again, the better brands don't want the hassle of dealing with returns under the typical one year post service warranty, so you get new hands whether you want them or not and you pay over $100 for it.

Breitling USA has always been known for swag. But mind you it's BUSA, not the other distributors in the world or even Breitling, SA doing that. BUK, etc... Send swag to the ADs only and they distribute it to customers as they see fit. BUSA has always had a hierarchy of swag based on purchase price and number of watches bought by the customer. I've received the hat about 3 times, The Book twice, 5 pens, a laptop/Briefcase, an overnight travel bag, a golf sized umbrella with an LED flashlight in the handle, a small pen knife, a full size Swiss Army style knife, chocolates twice (the antiqued boxes are presently used one for straps and one for watch tools), a backpack, a large duffle bag, a leather and nylon bomber flight jacket (the Holy Grail of Breitling swag), several T-shirts,a couple polo shirts, a hoody, coasters, The Book Safe (looks like The Book but contains a small safe inside), a belting leather wallet, a table top display model airplane, PURPLE over rather calf athletic socks, and pink - yes PINK boxer shorts with Breitling airplanes on it (clearly they were running out of stuff to give me). That's all I can remember now, but there was definitely more.

THAT said, BUSA's new chief who replaced Marie Bodman, the woman who started BUSA literally selling to jewelers out of the trunk of her car and has since returned to Switzerland and now is resurrecting BUK, is implementing the European model and will be sending swag to the ADs to compensate buyers for Breitling's increasing efforts to police over-discounting. The fucker!

Oh yeah, great watch. Image

I think we need a Newer New Testament. You know, the one where God reveals His new covenant with corporations.
Don Barzini
Watchlord WIS

Postby bedlam » May 10th 2013, 12:33am

Don't get Breitling at all Image
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby codguy » May 10th 2013, 3:09am

Breitling makes awesome watches, unfortunately this one is powered by a battery.

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby catnap » May 10th 2013, 11:22pm

Bkc97 wrote:Image

Fuck me, for a $550 service couldn't they throw a couple stripes in to match that cap sailor.
There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.
catnap
Watchlord WIS

Postby tomsimac » May 11th 2013, 2:22am

Looks like something Prince would wear on tour in San Fran
tomsimac
Senior Member & WIS

Postby AJC » May 11th 2013, 2:50am

Don Barzini wrote:The reason you received and upgraded COSC movement is the ETA E20.331 went out of production, but Breitling continues to support the watches manufactured with that movement with the upgraded thermocompensated chronometer movement.

And have a problem with your Invicter movement? Their Brand Technicality Manager hands out "infractions". Real watches vs TV fashion baubles.
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby Bkc97 » May 11th 2013, 4:02am

tomsimac wrote:Looks like something Prince would wear on tour in San Fran

A Prince aficionado eh? Do you enjoy looking at Prince photos? What do you think about when you do? Tell us your best Prince story, and there's no need to be embarrassed! Image
Bkc97
Senior Member & WIS

Postby catnap » May 12th 2013, 3:15am

Of the 2 I'd have to go for Harry. He's a dreamboat.
catnap
Watchlord WIS

Postby 3Flushes » May 12th 2013, 9:41am

catnap wrote:Of the 2 I'd have to go for Harry. He's a dreamboat.

Billy got off to a good start; poor chap morphing into Chaz with age. Lucky for him he married when he did.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby catnap » May 12th 2013, 10:02am

3Flushes wrote:
catnap wrote:Of the 2 I'd have to go for Harry. He's a dreamboat.

Billy got off to a good start; poor chap morphing into Chaz with age. Lucky for him he married when he did.

Wonda when Harry will morph into Hewitt.
catnap
Watchlord WIS

Postby 3Flushes » May 12th 2013, 10:13am

catnap wrote:
Wonda when Harry will morph into Hewitt.

Gosh, do ya think... ... nawwww, couldn't be, could it?

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » May 12th 2013, 10:33am

Don Barzini wrote:The turbine fan blade case back is still in use on its replacement - the Airwolf. Your B1 originally had a Breitling 68 movement, an ETA E20.331. In 2002 Breitling switched to the B 78 movement, a thermocompensated movement (Superquartz), the ETA Thermoline E20.341. This allowed for greater accuracy and better certification as a Chronometer. The reason you received and upgraded COSC movement is the ETA E20.331 went out of production, but Breitling continues to support the watches manufactured with that movement with the upgraded thermocompensated chronometer movement.

Breitling also considers all hands "single use," so any work that requires the movement to be removed per se requires new hands - at a cost, but there isn't anything unique about that - most brands would do the same thing. While the hands can in fact be used again, the better brands don't want the hassle of dealing with returns under the typical one year post service warranty, so you get new hands whether you want them or not and you pay over $100 for it.

Breitling USA has always been known for swag. But mind you it's BUSA, not the other distributors in the world or even Breitling, SA doing that. BUK, etc... Send swag to the ADs only and they distribute it to customers as they see fit. BUSA has always had a hierarchy of swag based on purchase price and number of watches bought by the customer. I've received the hat about 3 times, The Book twice, 5 pens, a laptop/Briefcase, an overnight travel bag, a golf sized umbrella with an LED flashlight in the handle, a small pen knife, a full size Swiss Army style knife, chocolates twice (the antiqued boxes are presently used one for straps and one for watch tools), a backpack, a large duffle bag, a leather and nylon bomber flight jacket (the Holy Grail of Breitling swag), several T-shirts,a couple polo shirts, a hoody, coasters, The Book Safe (looks like The Book but contains a small safe inside), a belting leather wallet, a table top display model airplane, PURPLE over rather calf athletic socks, and pink - yes PINK boxer shorts with Breitling airplanes on it (clearly they were running out of stuff to give me). That's all I can remember now, but there was definitely more.

THAT said, BUSA's new chief who replaced Marie Bodman, the woman who started BUSA literally selling to jewelers out of the trunk of her car and has since returned to Switzerland and now is resurrecting BUK, is implementing the European model and will be sending swag to the ADs to compensate buyers for Breitling's increasing efforts to police over-discounting. The fucker!

Jesus Christ, if they weren't slathering you guys in swag they could be half the price and the rest of us mooks could afford them.

Don Barzini wrote:Oh yeah, great watch. Image

^^^That

I have always liked the B-1, but my first Breitling will be a 1461. I have a Chase-Durer ani-digi that is a fun watch with the E20.331 movement. Used to take it on the road quite a bit also, to.

3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Don Barzini » May 12th 2013, 11:00am

Ha! That swag didn't come cheaply. I won't say how much I spent or how many 10s of Breitling's I bought over a 4 year period. But a little acknowledgment in the mail is nice, especially back when I could get 25-30% off retail as a matter of course. The times they are a changing, though.
I think we need a Newer New Testament. You know, the one where God reveals His new covenant with corporations.
Don Barzini
Watchlord WIS

Postby Bluesbro » May 12th 2013, 4:40pm

bedlam wrote:Don't get Breitling at all Image

My either ... dial is WAY too busy for these old eyes to see. I do think that the bracelet that appears to twist, featured on many of their pieces, is awesome though.
Bluesbro
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » May 12th 2013, 9:17pm

That's a beautiful fucking Breitling, Bkc. It makes this old dick hard.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby elau » May 13th 2013, 5:44am

Bluesbro wrote:
bedlam wrote:Don't get Breitling at all Image

My either ... dial is WAY too busy for these old eyes to see. I do think that the bracelet that appears to twist, featured on many of their pieces, is awesome though.

Me three. Never like their style.

But if you like it, that's what matters.
elau
Watchlord WIS

Postby catnap » May 13th 2013, 10:16am

Who gives a fuck about the watch, how much do you want for that cap sailor?
catnap
Watchlord WIS

Postby Horse Feathers » May 13th 2013, 10:29am

catnap wrote:Who gives a fuck about the watch, how much do you want for that cap sailor?

"I did lose a pusher pulling it out of the mug however
it doesn't affect functionality"

- JR of Reclinervision ™
Horse Feathers
ASSHAT

Postby Bkc97 » May 13th 2013, 1:29pm

[quote="Horse Feathers"]
catnap wrote:Who gives a fuck about the watch, how much do you want for that cap sailor?

Piss on the watch...fuck the cap...how much for that gayly patterned Hawaiian shirt, sport?

That is bursting at the seams with swagger and class sir!

Bkc97
Senior Member & WIS

Next

Return to Reviews