I'll see Mort's Android review and raise one...

Post your watch reviews here

I'll see Mort's Android review and raise one...

Postby WatchDorks.Net » March 2nd 2013, 8:25pm

Reading Mort's recent Android review, albeit a review of a disappointing watch, reminded me that I haven't snapped any pics or reported on any of mine lately.

I actually haven't purchased any new watches for a while now, but curiosity got the better of me last month and I ordered a pair of Androids that looked interesting. The first was the same Vertigo that Mort reported on (although I got the silver rather than tha gold), which I returned post haste. I had the same criticisms that he had, and thought it looked pretty awful on the wrist. Megafail.

The other one was the so-called "Bioluminescence" Automatic. Supposedly, Wing saw some exhibit at a natural history museum about deep sea creatures that have natural bioluminescence, which inspired him to create a watch that has not only a well-lumed bezel but also lumed bracelet links. Allrightythen.

One of the factors that also led me to give it a chance was the fact that the bezel and central bracelet links are polished steel rather than the usual machined/brushed steel. I have frequently said that I think Android's brushed steel is shit. It looks coarse and unrefined, in a word: BAD. I will no longer even consider any of their models that are entirely or primarily brushed steel. It's strictly polished SS or tungsten for me.

I've been wearing the watch daily for the last several weeks, and I'm happy to say that I really enjoy it. While there were several more vibrant color combinations available, this silver with pale pastel green accents has just the right look, IMO. It is very readable in light or dark. One area where this version of the Miyota 9015 improves over the Vertigo is the under-crystal date magnifier. It helps quite a bit for those of us with aging eyes.

The watch wears comparatively slim compared to other recent Androids, although it is somewhat weighty at 265 grams. It's 48mm in diameter, not including crown. The dial opening is 35mm and the thickness is 15mm.

The crystal is strictly mineral, which is a bit disappointing.

The signed crown is screw-down, and has a nice knurling that makes it very easy to use by the fat fingered. There is no play to the crown when unscrewed. The push-button deployant diver's clasp is a joy to use. Not loose and not too tight (usually I have a hella time with diver's clasps as they're tighter than a drum... not a good thing for the nondivers among us).

The watch has settled into running about +15s/day. Decent enough, but not stellar. The 9015 is a 28,800 bph movement, so it's not jerky but no Precisionist.

This watch is actually more comfortable on the wrist than most others I've tried, save the tungsten Infini, which is still my fave. Aesthetically, I really do like the overall presentation. For just under 2 bills, I have no complaints.

Proud "hater" since 2009. Get over it and have fun reassembling yer wartches.

WatchDorks.Net
Senior Member & WIS

Re: I'll see Mort's Android review and raise one...

Postby Laid_Back_Dude » March 3rd 2013, 2:08am

It's really one of the better looking Androids that I have seen.
Laid_Back_Dude

Postby JAS1125 » March 3rd 2013, 5:59am

Laid_Back_Dude wrote:It's really one of the better looking Androids that I have seen.

X2....still too big for my tastes though....nice review and pics
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Postby Berrnard » March 3rd 2013, 2:59pm

have thought about one of these actually. nice review and pics.
Berrnard
Senior Member & WIS

Postby jason_recliner » March 3rd 2013, 3:11pm

Anybody want to place bets on how long it takes for the lume to start flaking off?
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Postby bedlam » March 3rd 2013, 3:29pm

jason_recliner wrote:Anybody want to place bets on how long it takes for the lume to start flaking off?

Any sane WIS would have flipped it long before then

"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » March 3rd 2013, 7:07pm

A really good review, IWB; I just can't stand the idea of lume on the bracelet. It's also too large for me, but kudos on the words and pics. Very good indeed.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Horse Feathers » March 3rd 2013, 7:24pm

conjurer wrote:A really good review, IWB; I just can't stand the idea of lume on the bracelet. It's also too large for me, but kudos on the words and pics. Very good indeed.

Wrong feller

"I did lose a pusher pulling it out of the mug however
it doesn't affect functionality"

- JR of Reclinervision ™
Horse Feathers
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » March 3rd 2013, 8:15pm

Horse Feathers wrote:
conjurer wrote:A really good review, IWB; I just can't stand the idea of lume on the bracelet. It's also too large for me, but kudos on the words and pics. Very good indeed.

Wrong feller

Opps! My bad!

My apologies, Dorks.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mortuus » March 4th 2013, 12:36am

Excellent review & outstanding pics, Dorks, especially the lume shot. I haven't been as sweet on Android as I have been in the past, but hope springs eternal...I'll keep hoping that Wing gets out from under SchlockNBC's influences and starts making 40 and 42MM's again. Maybe Wing owes too much to the Company Store...?
Do Not Mistake My Kindness for Weakness.
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby NorthCountry » March 4th 2013, 6:46am

Althought the watch doesn't do it for me, your fine review did, kudos to you sir!
NorthCountry
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Dr.Morningwood » March 4th 2013, 7:32am

Nice Review. Nice looking watch, but at 48mm, and on a bracelet, too big and heavy for my liking. Enjoy!!
Dr.Morningwood
Watchlord WIS

Postby Luftwafflles » March 4th 2013, 9:52pm

One thing about Android's brushed steel (I prefer it's industrial look), is that if you scratch it, even relatively deep, you can pretty easily get the scratch out. Not sure about the polish finish.
I woke up this morning to discover a photo of myself sleeping. I live alone.

Luftwafflles
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Horse Feathers » March 4th 2013, 10:16pm

Luftwafflles wrote:One thing about Android's brushed steel (I prefer it's industrial look), is that if you scratch it, even relatively deep, you can pretty easily get the scratch out. Not sure about the polish finish.

The lume filled polished areas would require allot of care. For deep scratches on polished SS I found that using the marooon (fine) scotch-brite pads (the green household ones are too coarse) or for a small area a fiberglass scratch brush followed by a Cape Cod cloth works very well.

"I did lose a pusher pulling it out of the mug however
it doesn't affect functionality"

- JR of Reclinervision ™
Horse Feathers
ASSHAT

Return to Reviews