Report & Review: Android "Vertigo 9015" Automatic Watch

Post your watch reviews here

Report & Review: Android "Vertigo 9015" Automatic Watch

Postby Mortuus » February 28th 2013, 9:43pm

This is another one of those reviews that I wrote while 'on sabbatical,' and I'm pretty sure it'll receive the Long, Boring Review of a Shitty Watch Award (LBRSWA) from my good WL friend who believes I'm wasting my time and minimal talents with watches like these. I'm good with that, because even TV watches deserve a write-up. Or not. I would feel just as stupid writing a review for a Rolex as I would a Stauer, but for very different reasons. It would take up too much bandwidth and really would earn me the non-coveted LBRSWA if tried to explain it here, sooo...thanks in advance for reading the below review.

(Photo courtesy of ShopNBC)

As someone who has bought a few Androids in his day, I've often been impressed by owner Wing Liang's very fertile imagination and, by turns, left wondering what he was thinking when a given idea moved from grey matter to blueprint and, ultimately, into production. By and large, the end product is good, but sometimes...well, you know. Over time, Android watches have gotten larger and heavier, to the point that Wing's midsize offerings are now typically 46MM. This is the environment into which this "Vertigo 9015" was released.

The Particulars:

Brand: Android
Movement: Japanese Miyota 9015 28800VPH Automatic Movement w/ 24 Jewels
Crystal: Laser color-treated mineral crystal
Crown: Screw Down
Clasp: Push Button Deployant
Bracelet: mesh with sizing links
Bracelet Measurements: 9" L x 24mm W
Case Measurements: 48mm
Case Thickness: 14mm
Weight (unsized): 210 grams
Water Resistance: 20 ATM - 200 meters - 660 feet
Model Numbers:
Gold-tone: AD663AG
Silver-tone: AD663AY
Black IP: AD663AK
Warranty: Two year limited warranty provided by Android.
Sample Prices:
Amazon: $280.00
ShopNBC: $276.50 (Black not carried)
Jomashop: Not carried
WoW: Not carried
eBay: $279.75 (Average)

I really like the look of this watch, as it it features some genuinely classic elements. Its design is clean and uncluttered, enhanced by the rich, generous plating and an equally generous exhibition case back that both reveals and showcases the cotes de geneve decorated Miyota 9015 movement.

The dial is textured in a manner that is reminiscent of meteorite, and it beautifully plays off the highly polished case while setting off the equally polished hour markers and hands. My paternal grandfather had a watch with similar dial texturing presented to him when he retired back in the mid-1950's, though for-the-life-of-me, I can't recall the brand name. Unfortunately, the watch disappeared not long after his passing.

The mesh bracelet is both beautiful and flawlessly comfortable, and the inclusion of links - to include half-links and a fold-over clasp with three micro-adjustments - means that you have to really try your hardest not to achieve a perfect fit. The clasp also has dual push-buttons and a fold-over safety catch, so you needn't worry about it inadvertently slipping off your wrist as you go about your day, unless you're lucky enough to be a professional table tennis player...and even then, I'd still bet on the watch staying firmly in place.

The Miyota 9015 hacking movement is a solid performer, averaging about +9 seconds per week. Lume is minimal, present only on the hour and minute hands, but It easily passes the Conjurer quick-glance-in-a-darkened-car test.

With so many good things going for it, I suppose I could just stop right here and tell you to get out there and buy one in each color before they sell out. Indeed, the Android fan in me is nodding vigorously at the thought of doing that very thing. Unfortunately, there are some elements to this piece that preclude my ending it here and calling it all good. In no particular order...

Size: Like so many of his fellow watch makers, Wing has gone all out in the production of very large pieces, especially in the last two or three years. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but rather a reflection of the current popular market. Obviously, not everyone is a fan of the larger sizes, but they have had a dominant presence of late, and I'm not so quick to dismiss this as a mere passing phase. The problem I have with this particular big watch is that it's a little too much of a good thing. Glance at any photo of this watch by itself, and it looks like the perfect, classically designed dress watch. Put it alongside a vintage dress watch - such as my recently acquired Hamilton in the photos below - and you begin to get a sense of just how big its 48mm case really is.

While this is admittedly something akin to visually comparing cranberries to red apples, its purpose is to express a not-so-easily-explained idea. To my way of thinking, a well built, beautifully laid out dress watch is sleek and thin, like one of those early 1960's tuxedos worn by James Bond. This Android Vertigo, while well laid out and boasting a maximum weight of 210 grams, takes up a bit too much wrist real estate to lay claim to being a classic dress watch.

Date Window: Okay, so we make the decision to go ahead with the 48mm sized luxury dress watch; got it, it's all good. Why, then, given the large area we've got to fill out with hour markers and hands, etc, do we opt for a 2.5mm diameter date window...? Does anyone think that someone over the age of 15 is really going to be able to read the date? At this size, it looks like a rather haphazardly placed little porthole on the side of an Airbus A-380 cargo plane. Instead of the highly polished XII at 12 o'clock, why not a self-correcting, dual-disk big date window?

Or maybe a single big date opening placed unobtrusively at three o'clock?

Instead, I have to haul out my mini jeweler's loupe to set a date at the 3 o'clock position that I'll never refer to during my day because I can't see the bloody thing... Better to have left the date window completely off and preserved an unblemished dial face.

Laser-Treated Crystal: I'm fond of the old bromide that tells us, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Or, in this case, just because you can laser-treat the crystal - and get all those pretty & unusual colors flashing off the dial - doesn't necessarily mean that you should laser treat the crystal. The end result is a series of oddly colored, 'glarey' reflections bouncing off the crystal and ending up, well, in some pretty inconvenient places, like my missus' eyes, or the eyes of the pit bull across the street, or - well, you get the idea. Okay, so I'm exaggerating things a bit, but I do find those odd little flashes of color a little on the annoying side.

(Completely ridiculous photo simulation - Actual results nearly impossible to obtain with still photography...But you can see how annoying this is... Image )

(Even worse simulation for pretty much the same reasons... Image )

It was okay when it was used as a major draw in earlier models like the Prism and the Enforcer, but not so much as an add-on in the case of the Vertigo 9015. It's like I'm saying to the world, "Hey, lookit me, I got a watch with a really weird crystal!" We all know that Wing is an innovative and free-thinking designer of fine watches, but this particular laser treatment smacks of him trying to 'out-Wing' himself for no particularly good reason.

28800 VPH: My understanding of the whole "hi beat thing" is very basic: a hi beat watch has a movement that 'beats' at 36000 (or higher) Vibrations Per Hour (VPH), or at a frequency of 10 Hz or higher. So...why trumpet a movement with only 28800 VPH? In the interest of full disclosure, it would never have occurred to me to even mention this issue were it not for my tuning in to a certain watch program where I heard a certain 'technical brand manager' mention in passing that the movement in the automatic watch being shown at that moment just happened to beat at 28800 VPH. And at that same moment, I came to suspect that the whole 28800 VPH thing might just be a red herring, the horological equivalent of the old, off-color joke about the makers of SPAM bragging about their product now containing even more tongues, snouts and anuses than ever before(!). Hey, I don't know enough about the whole hi beat issue to tell you whether 28800 VPH is killer cool or uber nothing, but when it starts entering the lexicon of questionable 'watch executives,' it begins to lose a bit of its importance.

UPDATE: A couple of very reliable sources have assured me that 28800 VPH is considered hi beat. That's excellent news, but I'm too lazy to rewrite the above paragraph...

So there you have it, Mort's take on the new Android Men's Vertigo 9015 Automatic Stainless Steel Watch. Overall, it's not a bad piece, but when you plunk down 280 bones for a watch, you're almost always planning on doing quite a bit better than just 'not bad.' The silver lining here is that it's got a solid, high quality movement that keeps good time, and it's pretty easy on the eyes. (Laser treatment be damned...)

Mort's Overall Grade: C+

As always, many thanks for looking...and for putting up with my goofy picture editing.

//MORT OUT//
Do Not Mistake My Kindness for Weakness.
Mortuus
Master of Time

Re: Report & Review: Android "Vertigo 9015" Automatic Watch

Postby conjurer » February 28th 2013, 10:14pm

Dang, Mort--you just wrote a really good review on a really bad watch.

First of all, the size. Certainly, there are those out there that would say a 48mm (!) is a little too big for a dress watch--these are the same people who would say that those idiotic spinning rims isn't a very good look for a 52-year-old white guy to put on his Town Car. Nobody but a pimp or a white-trash imbecile would wear a 48mm watch to a wedding, funeral, whatever.

Second, the movement. The Miyota 9015 is a very nice, very cool movement (I owned one, for about five minutes, when I had my Smiths Everest.) I don't know if 8 beats-per-second is really high-beat or not (most would say that a 10bps, like a Zenith El Primero) would be high-beat, while the 8bps (most ETA products) would be considered, well, average. When compared to the very great majority of Japanese mechanical movements, which are 6bps, the 9015 is pretty high-beat indeed. In terms of Big Date, well, Miyota doesn't make one, and Wing's going to squish the date halfway back to the canon pinion because this is how the 9015 is made.

All in all, this is a pretty dreadful watch, Mort, although I appreciate the effort you put into the review (I personally find it more difficult to write a bad review than a good one) and your pics are fine, as always.

I just wish you'd devote you considerable writing talents towards watches that deserve the effort.

Thanks for the review, you old goat!
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
Master of Time

Postby jason_recliner » February 28th 2013, 10:24pm

Sorry Mort, this was probably a well written piece but I just couldn't read it.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Postby Horse Feathers » February 28th 2013, 10:34pm

Mort,

Great review & Photos

That Hamilton looks even better.

Can you explain the C+ since you admit the only pro is the movement.

"I did lose a pusher pulling it out of the mug however
it doesn't affect functionality"

- JR of Reclinervision ™
Horse Feathers
ASSHAT

Postby Mortuus » February 28th 2013, 11:18pm

Damn, John...your work below is better than the review...I am sooo boned being back here... Image Okay, all kidding aside, I'm in the process of writing a number of reviews of more deserving pedigrees - well, the vast majority of them are, anyhow - so don't give up hope!!

conjurer wrote:Dang, Mort--you just wrote a really good review on a really bad watch.

First of all, the size. Certainly, there are those out there that would say a 48mm (!) is a little too big for a dress watch--these are the same people who would say that those idiotic spinning rims isn't a very good look for a 52-year-old white guy to put on his Town Car. Nobody but a pimp or a white-trash imbecile would wear a 48mm watch to a wedding, funeral, whatever.

Second, the movement. The Miyota 9015 is a very nice, very cool movement (I owned one, for about five minutes, when I had my Smiths Everest.) I don't know if 8 beats-per-second is really high-beat or not (most would say that a 10bps, like a Zenith El Primero) would be high-beat, while the 8bps (most ETA products) would be considered, well, average. When compared to the very great majority of Japanese mechanical movements, which are 6bps, the 9015 is pretty high-beat indeed. In terms of Big Date, well, Miyota doesn't make one, and Wing's going to squish the date halfway back to the canon pinion because this is how the 9015 is made.

All in all, this is a pretty dreadful watch, Mort, although I appreciate the effort you put into the review (I personally find it more difficult to write a bad review than a good one) and your pics are fine, as always.

I just wish you'd devote you considerable writing talents towards watches that deserve the effort.

Thanks for the review, you old goat!
Mortuus
Master of Time

Postby Mortuus » February 28th 2013, 11:24pm

jason_recliner wrote:Sorry Mort, this was probably a well written piece but I just couldn't read it.

No worries, Toby; my writing does that to a lot of people...try reading the review when you're having trouble sleeping...? Image
Last edited by Anonymous on March 1st 2013, 12:06am, edited 1 time in total.
Mortuus
Master of Time

Postby Mortuus » March 1st 2013, 12:05am

Horse Feathers wrote:Mort,

Great review & Photos

That Hamilton looks even better.

Can you explain the C+ since you admit the only pro is the movement.

That's an excellent question, and one of the things I really struggled with. I knew going in that the overall grade was going to be somewhere in the C- to C+ range. Still, in addition to the movement, I also found the plating of the case and mesh bracelet to be of superior execution. I also really liked the meteorite-like dial for its retro - even classic - appearance. Ultimately, I added the positives up against the negatives and, in the end, with C- pretty much eliminated as a choice, I opted for the C+ mostly because I thought it was an attractive, well made watch with size issues; case too big, date window too small. (Of course, Conjurer explained the latter quite well in his post above.) In all candor, I have to admit that it was more or less a 'mental coin flip' that ultimately decided the C+ grade. I've come close to changing the grade to C several times, but finally decided to let the C+ grade ride.

Many thanks for your complements, not to mention your very thoughtful question. I hope I provided a sufficient answer...
Mortuus
Master of Time

Postby Laid_Back_Dude » March 1st 2013, 12:08am

That's one hell of a watch review.
Laid_Back_Dude

Postby WatchDorks.Net » March 1st 2013, 4:21am

Nice job, Mort.

I too bought one of these, but in silver. In short: I graded it closer to a D. I sent it back.

I had the same criticisms that you did... too big, date window too small, etc.

I had high hopes for it, but alas... Wing launched a FAILboat with this one.

The Bioluminescence, on the other hand, which also uses the Miota 9015, has been my daily wearer for about 3 weeks now... very comfortable and well executed.
Proud "hater" since 2009. Get over it and have fun reassembling yer wartches.

WatchDorks.Net
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Mortuus » March 1st 2013, 11:29am

Laid_Back_Dude wrote:That's one hell of a watch review.

Many thanks!
Mortuus
Master of Time

Postby bigedsurf » March 1st 2013, 11:32am

Well done Mort......
time flies.........
bigedsurf
WIS - Retired

Postby Mortuus » March 1st 2013, 12:05pm

bigedsurf wrote:Well done Mort......

Thanks very much, Eduardo Grande!
Mortuus
Master of Time

Postby NorthCountry » March 1st 2013, 12:38pm

Hey man, whatever the watch you put in a hell of an effort in your reviews. It really shows, so good on you Mortuus! That watch though, does blow donkey dick.
NorthCountry
Senior Member & WIS

Postby investigator » March 1st 2013, 12:46pm

I like the texture of the dial also, but that's about it.
investigator
Troll

Postby conjurer » March 1st 2013, 1:34pm

investigator wrote:I like the texture of the dial also, but that's about it.

Who the fuck asked you? It's a beautiful watch! Dumbass. Sorry to highjack the thread, Mort. As you were!
conjurer
Master of Time

Postby investigator » March 1st 2013, 1:39pm

conjurer wrote:

Who the fuck asked you? It's a beautiful watch! Dumbass. Sorry to highjack the thread, Mort. As you were!

Who the fuck was talking to you?
investigator
Troll

Postby 3Flushes » March 1st 2013, 1:54pm

Well written review of a less than severely average watch. I am disappointed in the direction of Android in general. Ling did some really interesting watches for a while there- I think one I bought as a graduation present was called the mystique- a skeletonized/decorated Miyota movement in a see through ceramic case which made the movement appear to be floating. It was awesome and I liked the brand when he was doing innovative stuff like that. He has bowed to the fashionistic mass market and degraded the designs, materials and movements in his products in so doing. I grade on the curve, therefore, the best this watch gets from me is D compared to the overall market; D- relative to his previous work.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » March 1st 2013, 2:05pm

investigator wrote:
conjurer wrote:

Sorry, instigator. I thought I was on your foal's list. I would never have said something so vulgar if I knew you were listening.
conjurer
Master of Time

Postby Horse Feathers » March 1st 2013, 2:09pm

conjurer wrote: I would never have said something so vulgar if I knew you were listening.

Foe sure !!

Sorry Mort, please resume

"I did lose a pusher pulling it out of the mug however
it doesn't affect functionality"

- JR of Reclinervision ™
Horse Feathers
ASSHAT

Postby investigator » March 1st 2013, 2:15pm

conjurer wrote:
investigator wrote:
conjurer wrote:

Sorry, instigator. I thought I was on your foal's list. I would never have said something so vulgar if I knew you were listening.

No, you were not on the ignore list. You were one of the few (2), that were not rude to me right from the get go. I thought you were of the nicer sort, sadly, it seems you like partaking in their idiocy. You have a good evening sir.
investigator
Troll

Postby conjurer » March 1st 2013, 2:17pm

investigator wrote:
conjurer wrote:
investigator wrote:
conjurer wrote:

No, you were not on the ignore list. You were one of the few (2), that were not rude to me right from the get go. I thought you were of the nicer sort, sadly, it seems you like partaking in their idiocy. You have a good evening sir.

*sigh* Fucked again.
conjurer
Master of Time

Postby foghorn » March 1st 2013, 2:56pm

conjurer wrote:Dang, Mort--you just wrote a really good review on a really bad watch.

In a nutshell.

Plus the bracelet bites too. I hate , loathe ,despise, nay abhor those partially mesh straps.

This is the jinnies with their legahorns feinting to read in theirhandmade's book of stralegy while making their war undisidesthe Willingdone
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby hcharles » March 1st 2013, 3:14pm

ImageImageImage
investigator wrote:
conjurer wrote:

Listen butt wipe for a newbie, you really need to shut the fuck up. If you think your bullshit is funny, you soon be on the banned list.Image
Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine. Abraham lincoln
hcharles
Watchlord WIS

Postby investigator » March 1st 2013, 3:17pm

hcharles wrote:ImageImageImage
investigator wrote:
conjurer wrote:

Listen butt wipe for a newbie, you really need to shut the fuck up. If you think your bullshit is funny, you soon be on the banned list.Image

investigator
Troll

Postby hcharles » March 1st 2013, 4:11pm

Investless , you are nothing more than a smarmy puke. Grow up, and adios mofo
Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine. Abraham lincoln
hcharles
Watchlord WIS

Next

Return to Reviews