Orient Star 300m

Looking for a watch or anything else? Post what you are looking for here.

Orient Star 300m

Postby Kahuna74 » March 3rd 2015, 6:55am

I am trying to find a first generation model, non-hacking. I would like the dial to have the Orient Star on it, but not a deal breaker. I few months back they were all over the place. Now that I have cash, I can't find one. I would prefer a black dial, or yellow, but those seem even harder to find. Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Lords for taking the time to read this.
kahuna
User avatar
Kahuna74
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 4312
Joined: June 11th 2011, 10:00pm

Re: Orient Star 300m

Postby bedlam » March 3rd 2015, 7:47am

Nice pick. I'm keeping mine though :-)
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
User avatar
bedlam
Master of Time
 
Posts: 7014
Joined: November 12th 2011, 11:00pm
Location: Fremantle, Australia (GMT +8)

Re: Orient Star 300m

Postby robatsu » March 3rd 2015, 8:44am

Kahuna,

I know this is a little above your price point we discussed, but it is brand new with warranty (and free maintenance/checkup at the two year point). It is also the hacking/hand-winding version of the Orient Star, which seems a little rarer. Beyond that, it seems to be about the only Orient Star black dial (or any dial) 300m on sale new or used anywhere in Japan via the usual suspects other than the few scalpers w/exorbitant prices. The price is the typical discounted retail price back when these were in production. Poking around the site, looks like it is just a bit of old production they have around, probably half-forgotten. Shop looks active, has reviews, pretty decent ones, most recent one a couple of months ago.

Might be a long shot, might be worth looking into. If you don't buy it, I just might, not a whole lot of these around in unused, warrantied condition from AD:

http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/oltime/h42002.html
User avatar
robatsu
Master of Time
 
Posts: 411
Joined: February 10th 2015, 7:53am
Location: Osaka, Japan/Eugene, Oregon

Re: Orient Star 300m

Postby Kahuna74 » March 3rd 2015, 4:18pm

I would go for this one robatsu. I have no idea how much it is or how to read Japanese?
User avatar
Kahuna74
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 4312
Joined: June 11th 2011, 10:00pm

Re: Orient Star 300m

Postby ocean » March 3rd 2015, 4:46pm

Looks like 961.00
To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them. George Mason
User avatar
ocean
Master of Time
 
Posts: 2897
Joined: June 12th 2011, 10:00pm
Location: Daytona Beach

Re: Orient Star 300m

Postby Kahuna74 » March 3rd 2015, 5:09pm

Thank you ocean.
User avatar
Kahuna74
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 4312
Joined: June 11th 2011, 10:00pm

Re: Orient Star 300m

Postby robatsu » March 3rd 2015, 6:21pm

Kahuna,

Here is a proxy purchasing service that will buy the item for you from Japan Yahoo Shoppingd then ship it. Site seems reputable. Their fees look quite reasonable - I don't think I could do it myself any cheaper from yahoo shopping given paypal, exchange rate, etc.

I've never used them, for obvious reasons, but again, there are a number of these services for JDM shopping, it is a legitimate sector.

http://www.fromjapan.co.jp/title/about

They have a fee calculator, I put in estimated weight/size and shipping to U.S., they spit out $1050.

As for reading the site, use Google Chrome browser, it should offer to translate for you. It won't be a perfect translation and won't translate text that is part of images, but usually good enough for the gist of it.
User avatar
robatsu
Master of Time
 
Posts: 411
Joined: February 10th 2015, 7:53am
Location: Osaka, Japan/Eugene, Oregon

Re: Orient Star 300m

Postby Kahuna74 » March 3rd 2015, 6:24pm

robatsu wrote:Kahuna,

Here is a proxy purchasing service that will buy the item for you from Japan Yahoo Shoppingd then ship it. Site seems reputable. Their fees look quite reasonable - I don't think I could do it myself any cheaper from yahoo shopping given paypal, exchange rate, etc.

I've never used them, for obvious reasons, but again, there are a number of these services for JDM shopping, it is a legitimate sector.

http://www.fromjapan.co.jp/title/about

They have a fee calculator, I put in estimated weight/size and shipping to U.S., they spit out $1050.

As for reading the site, use Google Chrome browser, it should offer to translate for you. It won't be a perfect translation and won't translate text that is part of images, but usually good enough for the gist of it.

Thank you for this. Much Mahalo.
User avatar
Kahuna74
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 4312
Joined: June 11th 2011, 10:00pm

Re: Orient Star 300m

Postby Kahuna74 » March 3rd 2015, 6:38pm

Okay I am set up with an account. Now how do I link over to this watch from there?
User avatar
Kahuna74
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 4312
Joined: June 11th 2011, 10:00pm

Re: Orient Star 300m

Postby Kahuna74 » March 3rd 2015, 6:39pm

dam I feel so lost in this.
User avatar
Kahuna74
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 4312
Joined: June 11th 2011, 10:00pm

Re: Orient Star 300m

Postby robatsu » March 3rd 2015, 6:56pm

Kahuna,

I just went through the drill on this, figured it might come in handy for me sometime.

After you log in, click "home" on upper left. Then, scroll down on right side bar to the button that says "Place an order (Shopping)". That takes you to a page:

http://www.fromjapan.co.jp/special/order?lang=en

At the very bottom, after all the warnings, disclaimers, you can enter the URL of the item and, although I didn't click through it, presumably you go through a standard checkout process.

I guess for my own disclaimer, I'd like to add that I have no experience/connection with this site or the merchant selling the Orient 300m but at the same time, I'd be comfortable doing this purchase. Online shopping is at least as reputable/efficient/trustworthy, probably more so in my experience, in Japan as it is in the U.S.
User avatar
robatsu
Master of Time
 
Posts: 411
Joined: February 10th 2015, 7:53am
Location: Osaka, Japan/Eugene, Oregon

Re: Orient Star 300m

Postby Kahuna74 » March 3rd 2015, 8:30pm

bedlam wrote:Nice pick. I'm keeping mine though :-)

Not funny. I almost was going to tell you to go fuck yourself. I am stressed out over this. A picture of a watch everyone knows what the watch looks like. No where in my post did I ask any member here if they wanted to sell theirs. What I asked was if they happened on to one for sale and they were not going to buy, to pass it forward!!!! conj, BL, and a New Member(robatus) seem to be helping me with this and I can't thank them enough. ocean also has helped and it is appreciated. robatsu even went so far as to help me set up an account, which is done, and tomorrow I will finish this purchase(I hope). We have members all over the world, which is why I reached out, glad this could be seen as funny to a few(one),,,,
Last edited by Kahuna74 on March 3rd 2015, 8:33pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Kahuna74
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 4312
Joined: June 11th 2011, 10:00pm

Re: Orient Star 300m

Postby Kahuna74 » March 3rd 2015, 8:32pm

robatsu wrote:Kahuna,

I just went through the drill on this, figured it might come in handy for me sometime.

After you log in, click "home" on upper left. Then, scroll down on right side bar to the button that says "Place an order (Shopping)". That takes you to a page:

http://www.fromjapan.co.jp/special/order?lang=en

At the very bottom, after all the warnings, disclaimers, you can enter the URL of the item and, although I didn't click through it, presumably you go through a standard checkout process.

I guess for my own disclaimer, I'd like to add that I have no experience/connection with this site or the merchant selling the Orient 300m but at the same time, I'd be comfortable doing this purchase. Online shopping is at least as reputable/efficient/trustworthy, probably more so in my experience, in Japan as it is in the U.S.

I got it thank you so much and I mean that.
User avatar
Kahuna74
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 4312
Joined: June 11th 2011, 10:00pm

Re: Orient Star 300m

Postby robatsu » March 3rd 2015, 8:51pm

Kahuna74 wrote:
robatsu wrote:Kahuna,

I just went through the drill on this, figured it might come in handy for me sometime.

After you log in, click "home" on upper left. Then, scroll down on right side bar to the button that says "Place an order (Shopping)". That takes you to a page:

http://www.fromjapan.co.jp/special/order?lang=en

At the very bottom, after all the warnings, disclaimers, you can enter the URL of the item and, although I didn't click through it, presumably you go through a standard checkout process.

I guess for my own disclaimer, I'd like to add that I have no experience/connection with this site or the merchant selling the Orient 300m but at the same time, I'd be comfortable doing this purchase. Online shopping is at least as reputable/efficient/trustworthy, probably more so in my experience, in Japan as it is in the U.S.

I got it thank you so much and I mean that.


One thing to be ready for is that they might come back and say it is out of stock. Some of these smaller shops aren't the best about keeping up their online stores after they make an over the counter sale. I've had that happen to me on occasion. This one looked like they were keeping their inventory relatively up to date, but you never know. Anyhow, it isn't real common, but it happens often enough that it just occurred to me to toss this out. And if it does, it isn't a scam, you won't be getting counter offer or bait and switch, the times it has happened to me, I just get a profuse apology, shop owner offering to commit seppuku for all the trouble he has cause,etc. etc.
User avatar
robatsu
Master of Time
 
Posts: 411
Joined: February 10th 2015, 7:53am
Location: Osaka, Japan/Eugene, Oregon

Re: Orient Star 300m

Postby conjurer » March 3rd 2015, 11:01pm

robatsu wrote:Kahuna,

I know this is a little above your price point we discussed, but it is brand new with warranty (and free maintenance/checkup at the two year point). It is also the hacking/hand-winding version of the Orient Star, which seems a little rarer. Beyond that, it seems to be about the only Orient Star black dial (or any dial) 300m on sale new or used anywhere in Japan via the usual suspects other than the few scalpers w/exorbitant prices. The price is the typical discounted retail price back when these were in production. Poking around the site, looks like it is just a bit of old production they have around, probably half-forgotten. Shop looks active, has reviews, pretty decent ones, most recent one a couple of months ago.

Might be a long shot, might be worth looking into. If you don't buy it, I just might, not a whole lot of these around in unused, warrantied condition from AD:

http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/oltime/h42002.html


Good work there, Robot. Interestingly, this is the first I've heard of any retailer who offers free a free two-year maintenance, no matter what brand--I'm sure there may be some Swiss brands/retailers who offer this, but like I said, I haven't heard of it. Honestly, for the price of many mid-to-high end watches, this sort of after-sale CS should be the rule, not the exception.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

Image
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 24688
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm

Re: Orient Star 300m

Postby conjurer » March 3rd 2015, 11:08pm

Kahuna74 wrote:
bedlam wrote:Nice pick. I'm keeping mine though :-)

Not funny. I almost was going to tell you to go fuck yourself. I am stressed out over this. A picture of a watch everyone knows what the watch looks like. No where in my post did I ask any member here if they wanted to sell theirs. What I asked was if they happened on to one for sale and they were not going to buy, to pass it forward!!!! conj, BL, and a New Member(robatus) seem to be helping me with this and I can't thank them enough. ocean also has helped and it is appreciated. robatsu even went so far as to help me set up an account, which is done, and tomorrow I will finish this purchase(I hope). We have members all over the world, which is why I reached out, glad this could be seen as funny to a few(one),,,,


Take it easy, brother. Buying JDM, for us Yankees, can be a real chore. This is why I myself tend to go with one of the Big Three (Higuchi, Chino, or Seiya--I use Seiya and have never been disappointed) instead of treading the Engrish listings of Rakoten or others. I understand that send a grand US to Japan over the interwebz can be more than slightly disconcerting. However, Robot has already made his bones with Gerdy, and seems all right to me. Carl was just breaking your balls a little bit. Relax and enjoy the ride. I myself am loking forward to your pics of that fine and rare (a handwinding and hacking Orient Star OS300? I didn't even realize they existed) watch.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

Image
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 24688
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm

Re: Orient Star 300m

Postby robatsu » March 4th 2015, 1:24am

conjurer wrote:
robatsu wrote:Kahuna,

I know this is a little above your price point we discussed, but it is brand new with warranty (and free maintenance/checkup at the two year point). It is also the hacking/hand-winding version of the Orient Star, which seems a little rarer. Beyond that, it seems to be about the only Orient Star black dial (or any dial) 300m on sale new or used anywhere in Japan via the usual suspects other than the few scalpers w/exorbitant prices. The price is the typical discounted retail price back when these were in production. Poking around the site, looks like it is just a bit of old production they have around, probably half-forgotten. Shop looks active, has reviews, pretty decent ones, most recent one a couple of months ago.

Might be a long shot, might be worth looking into. If you don't buy it, I just might, not a whole lot of these around in unused, warrantied condition from AD:

http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/oltime/h42002.html


Good work there, Robot. Interestingly, this is the first I've heard of any retailer who offers free a free two-year maintenance, no matter what brand--I'm sure there may be some Swiss brands/retailers who offer this, but like I said, I haven't heard of it. Honestly, for the price of many mid-to-high end watches, this sort of after-sale CS should be the rule, not the exception.


Some of the other higher end Orient Stars they also do this - this is actually offered by Orient, not the retailer, FWIW. That Clubman Chrono I pictured earlier is coming up for its 2 year tweakage. I'm pretty sure they do it for the Orient 300m Sat divers if you buy them in Japan. Kind of a model by model promotional thing, and is something they will use as a benefit/feature of a specific model. Orient is the only one I've seen this on, although I haven't really researched it much, so I couldn't say for sure that other brands don't occasionally do it.
Last edited by robatsu on March 4th 2015, 1:39am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
robatsu
Master of Time
 
Posts: 411
Joined: February 10th 2015, 7:53am
Location: Osaka, Japan/Eugene, Oregon

Re: Orient Star 300m

Postby robatsu » March 4th 2015, 1:36am

conjurer wrote:I myself am loking forward to your pics of that fine and rare (a handwinding and hacking Orient Star OS300? I didn't even realize they existed) watch.


They did a fairly short run of these in black and yellow before the rebranding of 300m as plain old Orient. One visible difference is that the hacking/hand-winding Orient Stars have a non-gothic logo/labelling whereas the non-hacking/hand-winding 300m have the older gothic script/logo.

Like I said, until Kahuna get a shipment confirmation, there is a chance that it is out of stock at this shop, although I think their site was relatively up to date since they showed a lot of contemporaneous models out of stock and they show recent activity. Sometimes you run across zombie sites full of unobtanium and think you've hit the mother lode until you figure out it is a dead site. Anyhow, assuming it all goes well, it may well be that Kahuna has obtained the last brand new OS300 (not Orient, but Orient Star) in any dial color available from AD anywhere in Japan. There may be some hoarders charging 2x retail or more, but I didn't even see any of them. There was one other guy selling a non-hacking/non-handwinding yellow one that I was thinking of getting, but he seems to have sold that the past few weeks.
User avatar
robatsu
Master of Time
 
Posts: 411
Joined: February 10th 2015, 7:53am
Location: Osaka, Japan/Eugene, Oregon

Re: Orient Star 300m

Postby Kahuna74 » March 4th 2015, 4:08am

conjurer wrote:
Kahuna74 wrote:
bedlam wrote:Nice pick. I'm keeping mine though :-)

Not funny. I almost was going to tell you to go fuck yourself. I am stressed out over this. A picture of a watch everyone knows what the watch looks like. No where in my post did I ask any member here if they wanted to sell theirs. What I asked was if they happened on to one for sale and they were not going to buy, to pass it forward!!!! conj, BL, and a New Member(robatus) seem to be helping me with this and I can't thank them enough. ocean also has helped and it is appreciated. robatsu even went so far as to help me set up an account, which is done, and tomorrow I will finish this purchase(I hope). We have members all over the world, which is why I reached out, glad this could be seen as funny to a few(one),,,,


Take it easy, brother. Buying JDM, for us Yankees, can be a real chore. This is why I myself tend to go with one of the Big Three (Higuchi, Chino, or Seiya--I use Seiya and have never been disappointed) instead of treading the Engrish listings of Rakoten or others. I understand that send a grand US to Japan over the interwebz can be more than slightly disconcerting. However, Robot has already made his bones with Gerdy, and seems all right to me. Carl was just breaking your balls a little bit. Relax and enjoy the ride. I myself am loking forward to your pics of that fine and rare (a handwinding and hacking Orient Star OS300? I didn't even realize they existed) watch.

Thanks John. Nothing personal. I was just a little stressed and had a few cold ones in me. Nothing but love from me to all my Lord brothers. I have learned a lot here over the years and been helped many times over, by many.

On top of this I should be studying for my medterms. Not smart on my part, letting this watch purchase take over.
User avatar
Kahuna74
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 4312
Joined: June 11th 2011, 10:00pm


Return to Want to Buy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests